Sponsored by:

Porsche got the 993 all wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Andy, you are correct. Our SSK and Golden Rod eliminate a lot of the squishy bits as well as some of the problematic areas that can and do fail on the factory shift linkage. The factory RS lever and fork don't address that.
Don't worry about 'Ol Alex. Like my Grandpa used to say, "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions...small people always do that."
No worries Darin...everyone that upgrades with FDM parts is always happier than when they began...so when is the new FDM 993 motor going to be finished?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
uggggh, probably should have had FDM throw those bits in with the other 90K mile service goodies.

stock shifter boots/***** still work with the SSk, don't they?
Yes, yes they do

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Ok - I need to ask here please . . .

My early '95 coupe came w/ option M241 - short shift. The action is like a rifle bolt, very precise.

Is this the RS linkage formally discussed?

Thank you.
That would be the RS lever. The shift **** should sit about an inch taller than "normal ".
It would not have the RS shift rod and would still have the ball/cup pivot points. If it feels good now, it can be even better...
http://fdmotorsports.net/category/sh...ansmission-993

Or, if you're happy with it, leave it as is!
My only advice would be to change out the cups in the forward rod. They can fail and leave you stranded. Pretty easy to do and very inexpensive
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be the RS lever. The shift **** should sit about an inch taller than "normal ".
It would not have the RS shift rod and would still have the ball/cup pivot points. If it feels good now, it can be even better...
+993 on what Mark says. I discovered my '95 coupe has the RS lever and push rod after ordering Golden Rod and SSK from Mark. Shifting was pretty bad. I actually compred it with my 1987 Toyota 4Runner ...

I kept the RS pushrod and installed the FD Motorsport forward rod (stainless steel, double heim jointed) and shifter (set up for heim joint) and cleaned and greased everything. I have posted elsewhere that shifting is greatly improved. There is a MUCH more precise feel. The FDM forward rod is a MUCH better piece than stock
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
+1 . Had the RS shift kit install since 2001 and 45k miles ago.
12 years going and the RS Shift Kit is short, sweet and to the piont.
+1
I bought RS shift kit, (+RS MMounts, LW flywheel/clutch) from Gert in 2002 and its been great-
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sdoolin
+993 on what Mark says. I discovered my '95 coupe has the RS lever and push rod after ordering Golden Rod and SSK from Mark. Shifting was pretty bad. I actually compred it with my 1987 Toyota 4Runner ...

I kept the RS pushrod and installed the FD Motorsport forward rod (stainless steel, double heim jointed) and shifter (set up for heim joint) and cleaned and greased everything. I have posted elsewhere that shifting is greatly improved. There is a MUCH more precise feel. The FDM forward rod is a MUCH better piece than stock
That's pretty cool opening up the tunnel to find you have a factory RS shift rod! Score! I'm glad you like the new shifting feel by adding our SSK.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
They are ready to ship right now! I'll shoot you an email.
Received Friday & installed today. Chalk me up as another fan of the SSK & Golden Rod. The throw distance reduction was marginal, though the improvement in feel and positivity is significant.

Darin - you'll have my old sloppy bits next week.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nick, that's just what I wanted to say. Your car looks great, btw
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Yes, yes they do

http://fdmotorsports.net/category/sh...ansmission-993

Or, if you're happy with it, leave it as is!
My only advice would be to change out the cups in the forward rod. They can fail and leave you stranded. Pretty easy to do and very inexpensive
Thank you. Next time I have it up in the air I'll snap a few pics to see what is in there. There is no slop in the action whatsoever.

Regards,

Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Received Friday & installed today. Chalk me up as another fan of the SSK & Golden Rod. The throw distance reduction was marginal, though the improvement in feel and positivity is significant.

Darin - you'll have my old sloppy bits next week.
Thanks Nick. Your car looks fantastic. How are you liking the turbo?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 285 Posts

^^ Thanks!

Enjoying the turbo very much Darin - as you know, they are incredible cars (especially when the modifications are properly set up).

Of course, now I have an itch for a longhood 911 with hips and a hot rod motor... It never ends.

BTW - I shipped the cores to you this afternoon.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I think I'm sold. Just need to make sure of what I have in there as of now. I'll check my records and call the P.O. if need be.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
^^ Thanks!

Enjoying the turbo very much Darin - as you know, they are incredible cars (especially when the modifications are properly set up).

Of course, now I have an itch for a longhood 911 with hips and a hot rod motor... It never ends.

BTW - I shipped the cores to you this afternoon.
Glad you are enjoying the boost!
Yes, it never ends. A older 911 would be fun as well. Let me know if you find one.
Thanks for getting the cores back so fast.

Quick Reply: Porsche got the 993 all wrong...