Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche got the 993 all wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

uggggh, probably should have had FDM throw those bits in with the other 90K mile service goodies.

stock shifter boots/***** still work with the SSk, don't they?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i did the SSK and golden rod last week, very worthwhile upgrade.
the SSK for the C4 didn't reduce the throws by much but together they are an awesome combo.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

You do realize all this was "engineered" by Porsche long before. They called it a RS Shift Kit.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You do realize all this was "engineered" by Porsche long before. They called it a RS Shift Kit.
+1 . Had the RS shift kit install since 2001 and 45k miles ago.
12 years going and the RS Shift Kit is short, sweet and to the piont.

Just think of the model suceeding the 993 if the air-cooled/chassis had continued its evolution.... same click of the door etc... But moe bettea.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Just think of the model succeeding the 993 if the air-cooled/chassis had continued its evolution....
That would have been interesting. I wonder if they would have continued towards a CEO/three-piece-suit type of car as they have, or kept it more towards its roots.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That would have been interesting. I wonder if they would have continued towards a CEO/three-piece-suit type of car as they have, or kept it more towards its roots.
I suppose in my day dream its "towards its roots". In reality,,, but how? The 993 is the pinnicle of the air/cooled, don't ya think..

PM sent.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Ummm, Andy... you've owned an '82, 911, right? I think there's a big improvement the 993 transmission and shifter compared to those.

And, yes, I have a short shifter and FD Golden rod - great improvement over stock 993. But even the stock one is miles ahead of older shifters. So the "sold to softies" comment is a bit out of place in case of 993 shifter, specifically.
Ummm, well I have some agreement and dis-agreement with your statements. First, yes the 993 is more updated and "better" than the SCs. Yet, when I drive my freinds SC now (and his other 86 911) I find something more crude but WAY more mechanical and engaging than even the SSK with Goldenrod. It is all very subjective.

But my final and firm assessment comparing the stock 993 mush with the much more "connected" goldenrod and SSK setup is this

993 stock=Mushy, Soft, Inprecise, Long
993 SSK/GR=Mechanical, Precise-er, Short-er, Comenserate with the rest of the car.
Old 911= Mechanical, Crude, Fun

I know it's all subjective, but this SSK/Goldenrod setup is great and easy. The stock bits were just too damned soft...even for the "softies" the SSK would not offend in any way...just feels good and right.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ABCar
The stock bits were just too damned soft...
How many miles are on your 993? Might it be that the "stock bits" were simply worn out? My 47K miles shifter feels good...no complaints or issues.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Alex, perhaps you are right. Still, there was nothing wrong with the stock bits...what's wrong is my perception of them...too soft. I am sure (correct me if I am wrong Darin) that the goldenrod and short shifter adds some "machine" to the shifter. If the stock parts are basically the same as Darin's new parts save the age and mileage than I will be asking for a refund!

Darin, is my check in the mail? Did you swindle me?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I am sure that the goldenrod and short shifter adds some "machine" to the shifter.
Andy, anytime you remove the "rubber" out of the equation, you'll get a more mechanical feel, as you put it. The Porsche RS rod eliminates the rubber and replaces it with a joint just as the FDM unit does or any other like it.

The same applies to suspension bushings. Note though, that you can get sport hardness control arm bushings as well as the original hardness bushings...the choice is left to the customer. You gain one thing at the expense of another usually.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

^^^Yep, I get it. In the past I have gone too far in de rubberizing and gave new meaning to NVH for a street car. Yet, in my case, the motor mounts, Walrods, and now the shifter bits have all the right balance of smoothness and useability and mechanical feel. I am only saying it feels better than the stock 993's I have driven. Always on the boil, never harsh. Just an upgraders opinion, but I hear your well placed point as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Alex, perhaps you are right. Still, there was nothing wrong with the stock bits...what's wrong is my perception of them...too soft. I am sure (correct me if I am wrong Darin) that the goldenrod and short shifter adds some "machine" to the shifter. If the stock parts are basically the same as Darin's new parts save the age and mileage than I will be asking for a refund!

Darin, is my check in the mail? Did you swindle me?
Andy, you are correct. Our SSK and Golden Rod eliminate a lot of the squishy bits as well as some of the problematic areas that can and do fail on the factory shift linkage. The factory RS lever and fork don't address that.
Don't worry about 'Ol Alex. Like my Grandpa used to say, "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions...small people always do that."
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stickypatch
There's something to be said about the 911 being a car that can comfortably be driven every day. Porsche did make tightened & hardened up versions for those that wanted it.
They just didn't sell them in the US..............
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
They just didn't sell them in the US..............
Unfortunately.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok - I need to ask here please . . .

My early '95 coupe came w/ option M241 - short shift. The action is like a rifle bolt, very precise.

Is this the RS linkage formally discussed?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Porsche got the 993 all wrong...