Sponsored by:

Oil leak - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leak - advice please

Towards the end of the summer I started to notice a drop or two of oil on the floor each time I drove the car. Upon investigation, I found oily grime beneath the VRAM, and also a drip between the heads and the cylinder number 3.

Where would this oil be coming from? Does this mean a top end is required? Also, the oil return tubes are looking a bit rusty. Do they need replacing immediately, or is it normal for them to look like this on the bottom?

Last edited by Paul902; 11-12-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix image link
Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Paul, start by degreasing the engine bay with a water based degreaser. Once the engine bay is clean and dry, slow oil leaks are much easier to find.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Pictures help as well.

Corrosion on the oil return tubes is not biggy, if not ugly. The concern is are they leaking -> to replace them you will need to pull them out and put in the expandable ones.

The VRAM always seems to sweat or accumulate oil in the intakes, often leaking from the bottom activator, then getting oil all over the intakes. Its not an operational issue, but its messy.

Are you getting oil between the head and the cylinder body, or between the head and the cam carrier? That is more likely, or is it oil from above leaking down?

cheers,

Mike
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
....The VRAM always seems to sweat or accumulate oil in the intakes, often leaking from the bottom activator, then getting oil all over the intakes. Its not an operational issue, but its messy....
Here's a thread with lots of pics of what Mike is pointing to, a common varioram "oil leak" (in quotes since the varioram isn't supposed to have oil in it, but seems to suck it up from overfills.). This may or may not be your problem. As Alex suggests, cleaning up things and monitoring can help decipher whats up.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-manifold.html
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

These things leak. Almost all air-cooled 911s do. Chances are it's no big deal. The cheapest and most effective fix is to add more oil as needed and keep an eye on the leak.

If you don't wrench yourself, have your trusted mechanic eyeball it at your next scheduled service and fix it then
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Paul,

If your oil return tube O-rings are leaking and you need to replace them, here are your possibilities...

According to what I've read, the one-piece oil return tube require some engine dis-assembly. Why Porsche didn't install them from the valve cover end......who knows.

Porsche's one-piece oil return tube...

Porsche's and aftermarket two-piece oil return tube...

Same as the one above, but nicer looking with a price to match...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup, just cut out the old ones and put in the new expandable ones - given the design was from the original engine, who knows why it was done this way?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Does nobody see the photos in my original post? I can see them, but it seems you cannot. Let me know if you cannot see photos and I will try reposting.

I think the oil return tubes are not leaking, just look rusty, so I am trying to judge the urgency of changing them. The leak from below can be seen in the second photo (if you can see them). There is a square boss on the cylinder and the drops are coming from between that and the head. I degreased everything and ran the engine a bit and this seems to be the main leak source. It is ahead of the furthest forward oil return tube.

Do the two piece tubes work as well as the one piece? Any leaking issues?

thanks,
Paul
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There are no pictures that I can see in the original post - not sure why it does not work, or how you posted them.

If not leaks on the tubes, leave them. You can get some of the corrosion off using emery paper or something finer. If no leaks, no urgency.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Just read the thread that Keith linked to. Hmmm, I wonder if I have this causing the mess up top and something else leaking at the cylinder to head interface?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike J
There are no pictures that I can see in the original post - not sure why it does not work, or how you posted them.

If not leaks on the tubes, leave them. You can get some of the corrosion off using emery paper or something finer. If no leaks, no urgency.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks, Mke. I uploaded the pics to a RL album then tried to paste them into the post #1 from there. Seems only I see them (and I'm not drinking, yet...). Let me try again...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Default Picture attempt two

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

No pics still....single piece tubes definitely require head removal. Lots of people have used the two piece units, with good success.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Here you go, Paul...
Attached Images    
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 278 Posts

Try clicking on the Edit icon on your orig thread. Click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down to Manage Attachments. Then click Browse to look for your picture where ever it's located in your computer. Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh damn Alex. You beat me to it.

Quick Reply: Oil leak - advice please