993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: 993 to 997.1 GT3; Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts
Default OT: 993 to 997.1 GT3; Exhaust Questions

Although I've had my 993 for less than 8 months, I think I'm going to make the move to a 997.1 GT3 in the early part of next year (ie, after the fiscal cliff resolution - if any, and after I get paid for the bulk of my work in 2012).

My dad is interested in my 993, and we've agreed on a fair price with basically zero haggling.

My reasons for selling are pretty simple: The 993 is my only car (as would be the GT3), and I find my enjoyment of the car significantly diminished by my concerns over what might break next, or what potential catastrophic failures lie ahead. I know this is hyperbolic, but a drive belt failure that left me stranded yesterday afternoon (forcing me to work well past midnight last night and the same again today) pretty much sealed it. There's a lot of character and charm in the air-cooled cars, in particular the 993, which is best suited to daily driving, as it's the newest. But there's no way around the age of the car. I'm not a wrench, and I don't have the time to maintain the car as fastidiously as some members here, although mine is very clean, well-cared for, and belies its age to both onlookers and passengers.

The 997 GT3 is, in my mind, the modern 911 that gets closest to many of the air-cooled traits that I like: A true sports car, not a GT; race-proven, legendary, split crank-case, etc. Mezger engine; sounds great; overall unique, charismatic, and special driving experience; can be used as a DD by those who are willing to accept small compromises; suffers from minimal depreciation!

Now the important question: I have FDM Stage III mufflers, and I'll surely have an aftermarket exhaust on the GT3, provided I get one. For those who have heard both the Stage IIIs and a variety of GT3 exhausts, which one sounds the best?

I have heard videos of all the center bypass setups, as well as the $$$ titanium full exhausts, and also the full muffler deletes (ie, straight pipes from the cats back). I'm afraid that the center bypass won't be "enough" (I like the IIIs, but I would prefer them to be louder still), while the full muffler delete would be too much; I'm unable/unwilling to drop 5 figures on a titanium exhaust or other full exhaust setups including headers and cats.

Other important info: I'm 23, single, and rarely have passengers; I live in Atlanta and park in concrete parking garages at work and at home; I've never had complaints about the volume of my IIIs, I just don't want it so loud that I'll get tickets even if I'm in neutral or very low revs.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm just glad I have the DD, for me, it makes driving the p-car a bit more special. I also, cannot fathom leaving her in a concrete garage. Good luck with your transition.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy your 100% reliable 997!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm just glad I have the DD, for me, it makes driving the p-car a bit more special. I also, cannot fathom leaving her in a concrete garage. Good luck with your transition.
I'm inclined to disagree on the DD front. I'm stuck in a Mazda 6 loaner, and it's awful. I enjoy driving my car everyday, just as I will the GT3. As far as the parking goes - covered, gaited, 24 hour security both places, with assigned parking at home; at work I park in the far corner of the highest covered level - rarely a car near me.

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Enjoy your 100% reliable 997!
While the newer cars aren't necessarily as robust as the air-cooled cars (ie, ability to be rebuilt/refreshed indefinitely), they don't suffer from the need to replace wear items after 17 years and 96k miles.

While I love the 993, the reason for the switch is simple - the GT3 is much, much faster, with a far superior chassis; makes for a better DD; the GT3 gives up fewer of the air-cooled qualities and quirks than other modern 911s. Plus, it's not like I'll never see it again - my parents live 100 miles away from me.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered a 997.2 GT3 before I bought my 993TT. A friend lent me his for as long as I wanted because he was hoping I would buy it. It is an astounding car that is the most potent sports car Porsche has on offer. It also has an intoxicating sound from 4000 to to the 8600 rpm redline....sounds more V12 than flat 6, sweet and fruity. My problem was that I knew I couldn't drive that car without hearing that wonderful sound whenever I drove it. To hear that sound in 2nd gear puts you well beyond every speed limit in America. I would lose my license in the first month. To own this car and not use it in the way she was meant to be
used would give me the worst case of automotive blue ***** I can imagine. Your dad is buying a wonderful car. You can drive them as dd. Some think they last longer that way. I'm on my third 993 and have had zero breakdowns. Good luck....trying to figure out which 911 fits you best is just about the best problem one could have.....Chris
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Not all DD's are the same and a Mazda 6 wouldn't be my choice for one. My DD is actually more like an AA jet, since I don't have a regular commute, but my point is I like having the differential-it adds to my appreciation of the Porsche design. Assigned parking or not, it sounds like a shared public garage, which makes me cringe.

Originally Posted by Guest89
I'm inclined to disagree on the DD front. I'm stuck in a Mazda 6 loaner, and it's awful. I enjoy driving my car everyday, just as I will the GT3. As far as the parking goes - covered, gaited, 24 hour security both places, with assigned parking at home; at work I park in the far corner of the highest covered level - rarely a car near me.

While the newer cars aren't necessarily as robust as the air-cooled cars (ie, ability to be rebuilt/refreshed indefinitely), they don't suffer from the need to replace wear items after 17 years and 96k miles.

While I love the 993, the reason for the switch is simple - the GT3 is much, much faster, with a far superior chassis; makes for a better DD; the GT3 gives up fewer of the air-cooled qualities and quirks than other modern 911s. Plus, it's not like I'll never see it again - my parents live 100 miles away from me.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I considered a 997.2 GT3 before I bought my 993TT. A friend lent me his for as long as I wanted because he was hoping I would buy it. It is an astounding car that is the most potent sports car Porsche has on offer. It also has an intoxicating sound from 4000 to to the 8600 rpm redline....sounds more V12 than flat 6, sweet and fruity. My problem was that I knew I couldn't drive that car without hearing that wonderful sound whenever I drove it. To hear that sound in 2nd gear puts you well beyond every speed limit in America. I would lose my license in the first month. To own this car and not use it in the way she was meant to be
used would give me the worst case of automotive blue ***** I can imagine. Your dad is buying a wonderful car. You can drive them as dd. Some think they last longer that way. I'm on my third 993 and have had zero breakdowns. Good luck....trying to figure out which 911 fits you best is just about the best problem one could have.....Chris
I have used it as a DD for 8 months now, and I agree that they last longer if they're used (even on the new ones - RMS leaks??). I will absolutely exercise the car's capabilities, as I do now with my 993.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not all DD's are the same and a Mazda 6 wouldn't be my choice for one. My DD is actually more like an AA jet, since I don't have a regular commute, but my point is I like having the differential-it adds to my appreciation of the Porsche design. Assigned parking or not, it sounds like a shared public garage, which makes me cringe.
I will definitely be appreciating it when I get it back this week! The roads we all drive on are both shared and public, not sure why you cringe. I've had zero issues with things happening to my car while in parking garages. There are several far nicer cars in my garage at home (G55 AMG, Maserati QP, numerous Range Rovers, other late model luxury cars, etc.).
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Guest89
Drifting

So can anyone answer the exhaust quesiton? I called Darin and asked him - he said go for the Sharkwerks center bypass. I'm basically torn between the center bypass and the "race" (ie, full muffler delete) exhaust from SW.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

So can anyone answer the exhaust quesiton? I called Darin and asked him - he said go for the Sharkwerks center bypass. I'm basically torn between the center bypass and the "race" (ie, full muffler delete) exhaust from SW.
I have both cars.
My GT3 has been configured with many different exhausts and my 993 is on fabspeeds, but im looking to try Fisters..

I have tried the following with the GT3:

SuperCup pipes which is no mufflers.
Fabspeed Side muffler deletes with stock center muffler.
Cup side deletes and Cup center muffler.
Sharkwerks center muffler delete.

The SuperCup pipes is wicked loud. Violent when on the throttle. Not good for daily driver. You would grow tired using the car for daily driving after one day.

The Fabspeed side deletes were tame thanks to stock center muffler, but drone was noticeable in the cockpit. (Only go this route if you wish to remove weight and heat from the car for track purposes.)

The Cup side deletes and Cup muffler is what i am currently using for my mix of road and track. It is light weight, low heat and the sound is better then stock center muffler with less drone.
(FWIW M&M also make a side muffler delete kit that works with the stock center muffler as well as a side delete kit with their own center muffler which is the best alternative to the Cup system in terms of affordability. The Cup stuff is just too damn expensive...)

The Sharkwerks center muffler delete is the best sounding option off all of them.
You still maintain the "sport" mode with the side mufflers thus when turned off you can still have the car somewhat "tame" when need be. But with sport button turned on you will notice the difference immediately. Little to no drone too.
Sharkwerks also make the race exhaust which has only two little coke can mufflers but it is just too damn annoying for daily driving as it more less the same as the Supercup system.

Go with the Sharkwerks and add their larger tips for appearance. You will be satisfied.
Do not bother with over priced exhaust systems. Akra, etc.. All a big waste of money for bling.

By the way, if you ever wanted to experiment later on, you could always buy the M&M side deletes and stick em' on your sharkwerks center muffler delete for NO mufflers.. but alas, thats just crazy talk.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have both cars.
My GT3 has been configured with many different exhausts and my 993 is on fabspeeds, but im looking to try Fisters..

I have tried the following with the GT3:

SuperCup pipes which is no mufflers.
Fabspeed Side muffler deletes with stock center muffler.
Cup side deletes and Cup center muffler.
Sharkwerks center muffler delete.

The SuperCup pipes is wicked loud. Violent when on the throttle. Not good for daily driver. You would grow tired using the car for daily driving after one day.

The Fabspeed side deletes were tame thanks to stock center muffler, but drone was noticeable in the cockpit. (Only go this route if you wish to remove weight and heat from the car for track purposes.)

The Cup side deletes and Cup muffler is what i am currently using for my mix of road and track. It is light weight, low heat and the sound is better then stock center muffler with less drone.
(FWIW M&M also make a side muffler delete kit that works with the stock center muffler as well as a side delete kit with their own center muffler which is the best alternative to the Cup system in terms of affordability. The Cup stuff is just too damn expensive...)

The Sharkwerks center muffler delete is the best sounding option off all of them.
You still maintain the "sport" mode with the side mufflers thus when turned off you can still have the car somewhat "tame" when need be. But with sport button turned on you will notice the difference immediately. Little to no drone too.
Sharkwerks also make the race exhaust which has only two little coke can mufflers but it is just too damn annoying for daily driving as it more less the same as the Supercup system.

Go with the Sharkwerks and add their larger tips for appearance. You will be satisfied.
Do not bother with over priced exhaust systems. Akra, etc.. All a big waste of money for bling.

By the way, if you ever wanted to experiment later on, you could always buy the M&M side deletes and stick em' on your sharkwerks center muffler delete for NO mufflers.. but alas, thats just crazy talk.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

As I said, my 993 is on Fister Stage IIIs. It sounds great, no drone, etc. Plenty of reviews here. I know that the water-cooled cars don't sound the same/as good, but I'm looking for something that allows me to hear the induction, the engine itself, and the exhaust. I like it loud, but I can't have it so loud that I'm risking tickets.

As I said, I will probably go with Sharkwerks. Great forum support, customer service, and - just like FDM - you can't find a negative review or experience! I called them a few weeks ago and talked to them about this same question.

They actually have three exhaust options - the center muffler bypass (~$1500), the "track" exhaust (~$2,600; high price due to small "coke can" mufflers from third party, setup also drones), and the "race" exhaust (~$800; marginally louder than track exhaust, loses a few more lbs., less or even no drone since it uses smaller diameter tubing than the track setup). I am on the fence between the center bypass and the race pipe.

I don't track now, but I probably will some after I get a GT3. Two local tracks - Road Atlanta (I believe no restrictions) and Atlanta Motorsports Park (96 db limit, IIRC).

For you, I would absolutely try the Fisters. Very happy.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

If you go for the Sharwerks track exhaust or race pipe you will sound like my car with the Supercup pipes (no mufflers)

Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Guest89
Drifting

If you go for the Sharwerks track exhaust or race pipe you will sound like my car with the Supercup pipes (no mufflers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcI96T8ZyNM

Exactly my point!

I just can't get over the race pipe saving 45 more lbs., freeing up a few hp at the top, and costing half the price of the center bypass. Ideally I need to hear both IRL. Will cross post on the 997 GT3 forum.

Worst case, I can sell the straight pipe for a few bucks less than I paid, and pick up the center bypass.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Exactly my point!

I just can't get over the race pipe saving 45 more lbs., freeing up a few hp at the top, and costing half the price of the center bypass. Ideally I need to hear both IRL. Will cross post on the 997 GT3 forum.

Worst case, I can sell the straight pipe for a few bucks less than I paid, and pick up the center bypass.
One thing to remember is that the free flowing race pipe actually loses hp in the low rpm range.... where you need it for the street.
These pipes are also hard to re-sell because a lot of tracks have sound restrictions.
The Sharkwerks center muffler delete barely passes these track sound restrictions.. there is a mod you can do to help pass if you do have a center delete however....
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

....I find my enjoyment of the car significantly diminished by my concerns over what might break next,
....but a drive belt failure that left me stranded yesterday afternoon (forcing me to work well past midnight last night and the same again today) pretty much sealed it.
....But there's no way around the age of the car. I'm not a wrench, and I don't have the time to maintain the car as fastidiously as some members here....
A belt (i'm assuming you mean fan/alternator/AC belt) is a regular maintenance item, not a long term aging issue. Don't confuse the two, as a 997 has maintenance items as well. But if avoiding "fix it" stuff is the goal (and makes you happier in the long run), a newer car will help with that.

Of course for the difference in cost of a 993 and a 997GT3, you could have a mechanic go through the 993 and preemptively fix every wear item...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

This. +997

Quick Reply: OT: 993 to 997.1 GT3; Exhaust Questions