Sponsored by:

OT: 993 to 997.1 GT3; Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
A belt (i'm assuming you mean fan/alternator/AC belt) is a regular maintenance item, not a long term aging issue. Don't confuse the two, as a 997 has maintenance items as well.
Yup. I'll see your belt and raise you a water pump

Can't blame anyone trading for a 997GT3. Awesome car!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy the 997.1 GT3. What a great car!!! Definitely a raw, visceral experience that I really enjoyed. Almost got a 997.2 GT3 before I decided to go a little more tame and get the 993 C4S. They are both great cars.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
A belt (i'm assuming you mean fan/alternator/AC belt) is a regular maintenance item, not a long term aging issue. Don't confuse the two, as a 997 has maintenance items as well. But if avoiding "fix it" stuff is the goal (and makes you happier in the long run), a newer car will help with that.

Of course for the difference in cost of a 993 and a 997GT3, you could have a mechanic go through the 993 and preemptively fix every wear item...
Originally Posted by JM993
Yup. I'll see your belt and raise you a water pump

Can't blame anyone trading for a 997GT3. Awesome car!
It's mostly psychological - I know I could give a mechanic $10k and do lots to my car - full suspension and refresh many wear components that would make it better, but I'm getting the urge to switch it up.

As I've said, I'm interested in the switch because the GT3 makes a better sole car/DD than the 993, and it is much, much faster, and on a far superior platform. All of these benefits come without losing the split crank-case or the focused, sports car feel of the 993. Plus, it's not like I'll never see the thing again. My parents are not far from me. Life is long, and I'm only 23. At this point I'm really only interested in Porsches, and there will be numerous opportunities to own other 911s (and perhaps other models), both modern and classic, as time moves on.

Originally Posted by osugasman
Enjoy the 997.1 GT3. What a great car!!! Definitely a raw, visceral experience that I really enjoyed. Almost got a 997.2 GT3 before I decided to go a little more tame and get the 993 C4S. They are both great cars.
Thank you.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

What track will you run the GT3 at?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
What track will you run the GT3 at?
Sparingly at southeast tracks. While I'm fortunate to be in a position to pursue my hobby and purchase these types of cars basically right out of college, the tradeoff is that I have to work quite a lot, usually about 80 hours per week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Further, my schedule is unpredictable, and I might have 1 or 2 days a month in which I don't work.

I am in Atlanta, so Road Atlanta is about 45 minutes away; Atlanta Motorsports Park is about an hour north of Atlanta - I have considered joining, and I probably will in the next few years. Barber is about 2 hours west. Anything else - Sebring, VIR - is just too far away. I have vacation days, but I'm expected not to take them.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Sportsman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guest, you say "It's not like you'll never see the 993 again."
But what if your Dad wills it to your sibling???
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Life is long, and I'm only 23.
You are kidding right? And you are looking for a GT3?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sportsman
Guest, you say "It's not like you'll never see the 993 again."
But what if your Dad wills it to your sibling???
She has zero interest in cars, in particular loud, smelly, harsh, etc. old Porsches.

Originally Posted by Mike J
You are kidding right? And you are looking for a GT3?
Not kidding.

EDIT: Post #20 elaborates.

Last edited by Guest89; 11-14-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

EDIT: Post #20 elaborates.
Well, kind-of, but not really. In my opinion, 95% of the 23 years olds are not ready for a GT3 - we have a LOT of rich kids up here that either kill themselves or others in very expensive cars, so hopefully you are in the 5% minority and drive it on the street responsibly, and keep the shiny side up on the track. best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

MarkD's GT3 has the center muffler bypass and when you push the button on the dash and take it into the high RPM range....it is simply intoxicating!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike J
Well, kind-of, but not really. In my opinion, 95% of the 23 years olds are not ready for a GT3 - we have a LOT of rich kids up here that either kill themselves or others in very expensive cars, so hopefully you are in the 5% minority and drive it on the street responsibly, and keep the shiny side up on the track. best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
While I may seem like a "kid" to you based solely on my age, I'm far removed from the clumsy driver I was at age 16. Back then, my peers and I were immature and experimenting in cars that our parents bought for us. Things are far different with some additional maturity and the new incentive structure introduced by having purchased the car myself. I have driven 997 GT3s more than once, and I am cognizant of what driving and ownership entail. Everyone on this board has had fun in their Porsches, or other performance cars, while on a public road. The key variables are location, context, weather, timing, etc. I drive very conservatively in town and on the interstate, and I restrict my spirited driving to early mornings on mountain back roads that I know very well.

Since you're apparently curious (or skeptical?) as to how I can afford a GT3 at age 23 (without a trust fund or my parents buying me the car) - I have zero college debt and an excellent, although demanding, job. Further, I live in a relatively cheap city - Atlanta - whose climate does not necessitate a second car appropriate for winter weather (I live close enough to work that I can walk if/when the occasional snowfall hits). Additionally, I have zero dependents and place Porsche ownership above, say, exotic vacations (that I don't even have time for at this stage of my career!).

Originally Posted by FisterD
MarkD's GT3 has the center muffler bypass and when you push the button on the dash and take it into the high RPM range....it is simply intoxicating!
Yes, as we've discussed on the phone, I am torn between this setup and the full muffler delete. I'm absolutely on the fence, but I could always switch to the tamer option if the first is too OTT - it will just cost me a few bucks.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Sportsman
Intermediate

Mike J, etal, as you may have assumed from above posts, I am Guest89's dad. I am looking forward to his GT3 purchase and my subsequent purchase of the 993. He is not bull****ting you, he is 23, and he is doing this on his own. (Trust me, had I bought the 993, I'd be driving it--not him.) He has positioned himself via education to do exactly as he has mentioned. He may be slightly fictional when describing his "conservative" driving habits...
That means just because you can doesn't mean you should...

Nevertheless, I'm very proud of him.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Mike J, etal, as you may have assumed from above posts, I am Guest89's dad. I am looking forward to his GT3 purchase and my subsequent purchase of the 993. He is not bull****ting you, he is 23, and he is doing this on his own. (Trust me, had I bought the 993, I'd be driving it--not him.) He has positioned himself via education to do exactly as he has mentioned. He may be slightly fictional when describing his "conservative" driving habits...

The fact that he is coming from a 993 says a lot to me.
Life is short and being able to raise the bar to experience such things such as the GT3 and hobby that follows ownership is a great way to enjoy the fruits of ones labour.

I encourage such desires

Although, when i was 23 i was doing everything wrong.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Guest89
Drifting

I didn't know you knew how to use the internet
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
ChrisSmithRacing
Advanced

Hello
Chris smith racing is located just off campus of road Atlanta.
In Braselton . We can help deside and build your porsche track day or complete
Ground up race car builds
Thanks
Chris smith
Chris.smith@chrissmithracing.net
770-965-0090

Quick Reply: OT: 993 to 997.1 GT3; Exhaust Questions