Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being partial to the 964, that is one gorgeous 993. GLWS
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Isn't the RS motor a 3.8l?
And isn't the RS gearing different too?

I understand all the body, suspension, and brake pieces, but wouldn't an engine and re-gear upgrade be necessary to be a true RS clone?

Clone to me, means it should be an exact replica in every regard, not just most or many of them. just my 0.02.

I agree it is a nice car, just don't agree with advertising as an RS Clone.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Isn't the RS motor a 3.8l?
And isn't the RS gearing different too?

I understand all the body, suspension, and brake pieces, but wouldn't an engine and re-gear upgrade be necessary to be a true RS clone?

Clone to me, means it should be an exact replica in every regard, not just most or many of them. just my 0.02.

I agree it is a nice car, just don't agree with advertising as an RS Clone.
+1

Should be advertised as Carrera with RS replica body and and interior bits.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
$64k yesterday and $45k today? If I wait until tomorrow will it be $26k? Just kidding. Beautiful car. GLWS.
He put his car on eBay for $54,900, not $64k. Agreed it is a beautiful car.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I think if you say clone or replica it will mean pretty much the same thing to most people. They were replicants in blade runner, but were not perfect in every respect. I guess to be an RS clone you would also need to have the shell seam welded in the same manner as an original car, apart from all the mechanical and bodywork modifications.

Its a shame to see the car sold after giving it such love!

Berni
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

You guys sure are picky.

Clone = not original which leaves it open to interpretation. I do a lot of surfing for all kinds of cars. Search for 69 Chevelle SS and most will be clones/tribute/replica cars will have a variety of drivetrains that didn't originally come with a Chevelle SS.

I think that anyone buying a clone/tribute/replica knows they aren't buying an original. If I were buying this 993, I would look at is as a 993 that has upgrades. If they are upgrades that I would make to any 993 that I would buy, is it reasonably priced. I wouldn't buy or drive this car thinking it was anything that even resembled a 993 RS and the first thing I would do is remove the RS center caps on the wheels, but that is just me.

At the end of the day the buyer will need to determine if this tracked 993 that has had a full repaint, Recaros, and many other upgrades is worth the asking price. If a PPI showed compression and leak down numbers comparable to any other 993 with the same miles, and no major issues, it may very well be worth the asking price.

YMMV

The Carrera RS is a lightweight variant of the Carrera. It features a naturally aspirated 3.8 liter engine with 300 hp (DIN). On the outside it is easily distinguishable by a special non-retractable rear wing, small front flaps and 3-piece 18-inch (460 mm) aluminum wheels. The headlight washers were deleted for weight saving reasons. Inside the rear seats were removed, and special racing seats and spartan door cards were installed. Sound proofing was also reduced to a minimum.

There are further RS variants, in particular a track-oriented Carrera RS Clubsport (also referred to as the RSR in some countries) with relatively limited road usability. The Clubsport came equipped with a welded roll cage and certain comfort features such as carpets, power windows, air conditioning and radio were deleted. Externally it sports a larger rear wing and deeper chin spoiler than the standard RS.

The Carrera RS was produced in model years 1995 and 1996. It was street legal in European and many other countries around the world, but was not approved for export to the United States. As with the relative low production-quantity RS variants of earlier 911 types, some Porsche owners will turn to the standard Carrera and modify it into an RS clone as an enthusiast's attempt to own something that otherwise is unobtainable due to the rarity and consequent high market value of the RS. The practice, often using authentic Porsche-sourced RS parts, is perhaps more common amongst U.S. owners, since the RS/RS Clubsport was never certified for sale there.[citation needed]
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, if any buyer is uninformed to the point of believing that this--or any 993 with RS aesthetic and suspension bits--is a true RS clone (going by the definition of "clone," which it appears most in the car customizing biz don't understand), that falls on the buyer for having not been thorough enough with his/her research. It should be fairly obvious that this is built in the spirit of an RS and not a true clone. I am not advocating a seller mis-representing a car; but let's face it, what percentage of people selling a used car are truly honest? Due diligence falls upon the buyer.

Everyone should know that semantics are thrown out the window with used car sales!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benton
In my opinion, if any buyer is uninformed to the point of believing that this--or any 993 with RS aesthetic and suspension bits--is a true RS "clone" (going by the true definition of "clone," which it appears most in the car customizing biz don't understand) that falls on the buyer for having not been thorough enough with his/her research. It should be fairly obvious that this is built in the spirit of an RS and not a true clone. I am not advocating a seller mis-representing a car; but let's face it, what percentage of people selling a used car are truly honest? Due diligence falls upon the buyer.

Everyone should know that semantics are thrown out the window with used car sales!
Yep, Caveat Emptor
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi

I think if you say clone or replica it will mean pretty much the same thing to most people. They were replicants in blade runner, but were not perfect in every respect. I guess to be an RS clone you would also need to have the shell seam welded in the same manner as an original car, apart from all the mechanical and bodywork modifications.
Maybe, maybe not. But if you were going to get this car a PCA Club Racing log book running as such in Stock or Preparted it sure as hell would have to be. (Go follow what nonsense happened with all of these "Euro" and "RS" wannabes circa 2004 when updating/backdating got out of hand.)

And since you brought it up, what exactly are the mechanical modifications to this car that would serve anyone beyond the low intermediate level? But something like that is truly up to individual preference--not all RS ever hit the track.

Bottom line here is that the seller, in bold, states the first owner converted this car to a 993RS. He further closes out the ad mentioning that he Club Races, AND that he's CDI of a region. Hmm..........
Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by race911

Bottom line here is that the seller, in bold, states the first owner converted this car to a 993RS. He further closes out the ad mentioning that he Club Races, AND that he's CDI of a region. Hmm..........
CDI? Certified Driving Instructor?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
CDI? Certified Driving Instructor?
Chief
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by race911
Chief
So the guy could drive a car very well
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

Saw car on Ebay and then read this thread car is beautiful and respect the effort to create this beauty, good luck with sale any Porsche guy should be proud to add this 993 to ownership history.
Rich
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Appreciate the Feedback

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Saw car on Ebay and then read this thread car is beautiful and respect the effort to create this beauty, good luck with sale any Porsche guy should be proud to add this 993 to ownership history.
Rich
Thanks US Carrera for the support. It has been awhile since I read this thread and I got some chuckles out of the back and forth about the RS Clone thing.

To put the RS Clone to rest, I have supplied the Cert of Authenticity (for which I paid) and these two build sheets showing what was added by the prior owners and then me. So clearly I knew I was buying a properly modded 993 last year, and I am not representing anyhting other than that.

On the eBay ad, I mentioned my PCA Club affiliations because I do think that lends some credibility to my being a Porsche owner and knowing a little about the car I am selling. Some who have inquired about this car also know their Porsches and it is fun to speak with them. Others have no idea about this car, but that is the risk of eBay advertising!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
993 build sheet - Sheet1.pdf (26.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: pdf

Quick Reply: Repainting my 1997 993