Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY for timing cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY for timing cover gasket?

I am looking for a DIY for the timing cover gasket.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not had the time to do one yet even if i have done several - its not that hard but required a lof of dissassembly. Mufflers/cat/rear engine mount/pulley/ sheet metal/ ac mount all have to come off. You have to support the engine while doing it. Take off the covers, replace the gasketd, rubber donutd, use 7ft lbs, and put it all back together.

At a careful pace first time allow for a full day.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have not had the time to do one yet even if i have done several - its not that hard but required a lof of dissassembly. Mufflers/cat/rear engine mount/pulley/ sheet metal/ ac mount all have to come off. You have to support the engine while doing it. Take off the covers, replace the gasketd, rubber donutd, use 7ft lbs, and put it all back together.

At a careful pace first time allow for a full day.

Cheers

Mike
Deleted. Thought this was about valve cover gaskets.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Start with the DIY for the engine drop. Then unbolt everything on the back of the engine until you see all the cover bolts. Put it all back together and re-install the engine. Simple.
Seriously, wait until you can't stand the leak anymore, or something else needs to be done with the engine out. Then do plugs, wires, valve covers, power steering belt, remove SAI, etc...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

This is V8 speak, not Porsche lingo. I'm sure you mean the cam chain box covers. I know, it's probably nit-picking, but a little discipline never hurt anyone.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Start with the DIY for the engine drop. Then unbolt everything on the back of the engine until you see all the cover bolts. Put it all back together and re-install the engine. Simple.
Seriously, wait until you can't stand the leak anymore, or something else needs to be done with the engine out. Then do plugs, wires, valve covers, power steering belt, remove SAI, etc...
Its not a requirement to drop the engine to do this - that is much more work and will cost you an alignment.

See my engine rebuilding thread -> http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Cranking_it_up

I figure if you can retime camshafts in the car, you can replace the gaskets in the car easily enough - since its essentially the same disassembly.

I have done it both ways several times, and I like keeping the engine in the car - but I am working off a lift. However, the retiming was done the old fashion way before I got a lift - on jackstands on my back.... ahh the good old days!

You are right though, dropping it will make it easier especially if you have an engine stand.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah I know. My point was that if he waits until he does need a drop for something else, it an easy while you're in there instead of an ordeal...
Btw, LOVE your website! I can't calculate the money you've saved me over the years...

Quick Reply: DIY for timing cover gasket?