Sponsored by:

Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

Anyone actually tried to put any of this on themselves? I need to replace with film in front of the rear wheels on my '10 GT3 as it is slightly yellow which reallly shows up on a white car.
The windshield film deal talked about in a recent Excellence article also looks tempting...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Anyone actually tried to put any of this on themselves?
If you mean paint protection film, yes, everything from making the template to application. It was very easy. All you need it time and patience.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have done a few dozen cars but still wouldn't call it easy. Screw ups can be expensive. Practice, practice, practice. If this is your first time, and your goal is a whole car, or complicated shapes, I would leave it to a pro, IMO. A perfect application is magical. A few imperfections can ruin the whole thing.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I have done a few dozen cars but still wouldn't call it easy.
Brad, I was referring to rear fender protection on our 911s and the frontal surfaces of wide gas tanks on my motorcycles, for example.

I wouldn't have an issue doing a front hood, but a curved bumper and front fender, well those guys, like the PDR guys, I have to bow to.

Xpel Thread
Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, I agree. Flat surfaces, or even curved ones without complex curves and shapes are very doable.

I bought extra film and did a few test runs on different surfaces to get comfortable with how it all works. It's very workable and reasonably forgiving, but as you say takes great patience. I figured since I was doing the labor myself I would come out ahead even with the purchase of extra material. Practice, practice....
Old 10-27-2012, 02:40 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I've talked with a few local installers and none have actually used this stuff, most can only comment on Ventureshield.

Therefore that's a good question that was brought up, is this stuff to thin to actually added real protection vs say a thicker ventureshield?

I've been told yes being thinner it will be more easier to work with and the most challenging part on the 993 front end is around the head lights.

2 installers (including Metropolitan Detail in Seattle) have recommend a seam is needed just below the headlights. Otherwise on a dark color car like black, if you look closely at the front quarter panel you may see slight ripples in the paint, again I haven't seen this in person so can't really comment. Silver or lighter color cars no probs you can have no visible seams or edges.

Stealth993 - At MikeJ's summer bbq your black C4S looked pretty good, no visible seams. Metro only did your silver 993 right? I mentioned your name when I spoke with them this week.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
I've talked with a few local installers and none have actually used this stuff, most can only comment on Ventureshield.

Therefore that's a good question that was brought up, is this stuff to thin to actually added real protection vs say a thicker ventureshield?

I've been told yes being thinner it will be more easier to work with and the most challenging part on the 993 front end is around the head lights.

2 installers (including Metropolitan Detail in Seattle) have recommend a seam is needed just below the headlights. Otherwise on a dark color car like black, if you look closely at the front quarter panel you may see slight ripples in the paint, again I haven't seen this in person so can't really comment. Silver or lighter color cars no probs you can have no visible seams or edges.

Stealth993 - At MikeJ's summer bbq your black C4S looked pretty good, no visible seams. Metro only did your silver 993 right? I mentioned your name when I spoke with them this week.
Metro will not do any seams if you pay for it. My C4 was done by them, it has 0 seams. They did that with Venturshield. A couple more have been done after mine, so they have the process down. They got to pull the headlight washers, and they might need to be replaced.

It was my understanding that Xpel is the same thickness as Venturshield. Another cool thing about Xpel is that it doesn't have any orange peal in it, basically it doesn't have the texture that all other films have.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Knight
Drifting

Good to know Mike! I'll down that way next month, I'll pop in there and talk with Benjamin in person. With my front end job, actually deleting the headlight washers, so no issues there. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:19 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If there are a few very small touchup spots on the hood and bumper, does this greatly effect the outcome of a clear bra?? My hood and front bumper were painted about a year and a half ago and there are some very small spots that need to be touched up but I still want to get this done?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM
fsm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a detailling done before as well as a few touch ups. It does a good job. The film has a lustre-clear coat. It is the type of thing i think you should give to a professional because half of the ultimate results is function of the installation vs the product itself. They come in pre-cut kit. For instance on my case the is a small cut around the headlight washers. I am having the euro front bumper installed and will definitely have the product installed again
Old 10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fsm
I had a detailling done before as well as a few touch ups. It does a good job. The film has a lustre-clear coat. It is the type of thing i think you should give to a professional because half of the ultimate results is function of the installation vs the product itself. They come in pre-cut kit. For instance on my case the is a small cut around the headlight washers. I am having the euro front bumper installed and will definitely have the product installed again
High end shops will not use the pre-cut kits, then there will be seams. They use full sheet then cut to fit. This is where the Pro-Installer is everything! IMHO, stay away from pre-cut. They do not cover the edges, will have gaps, and also never be installed straight. I have a pre-cut kit on my MINI Cooper, all my rock chips are where the clear bra stops before the edges, the edges are very uneven all around. This is on a full hood. I should have spent the extra cash and had all the edges wrapped.

Good to know Mike! I'll down that way next month, I'll pop in there and talk with Benjamin in person. With my front end job, actually deleting the headlight washers, so no issues there. Thanks!
I'm about 2 blocks down the street from them, if you and I can harass Benjamin for you. He will be very happy to hear there are no headlight washers! He told me the fenders on the 993 are one of the hardest out there to wrap with out any relief cuts.

Originally Posted by doberdog
If there are a few very small touchup spots on the hood and bumper, does this greatly effect the outcome of a clear bra?? My hood and front bumper were painted about a year and a half ago and there are some very small spots that need to be touched up but I still want to get this done?
If the chip is touched up, you can not see it under the film. I would suggest that all chips be taken care of. Most shops will take care of it for you.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993

I'm about 2 blocks down the street from them, if you and I can harass Benjamin for you. He will be very happy to hear there are no headlight washers! He told me the fenders on the 993 are one of the hardest out there to wrap with out any relief cuts.
Excellent, sounds like a plan. I'll pm you and give you a heads up next month when I'm heading down. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Metro will not do any seams if you pay for it. My C4 was done by them, it has 0 seams. They did that with Venturshield. A couple more have been done after mine, so they have the process down. They got to pull the headlight washers, and they might need to be replaced.

It was my understanding that Xpel is the same thickness as Venturshield. Another cool thing about Xpel is that it doesn't have any orange peal in it, basically it doesn't have the texture that all other films have.
What did it cost to have the full hood and front wrapped?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doberdog
What did it cost to have the full hood and front wrapped?
A little ove $2k for the entire front end with no seems, and every corner wrapped.

Excellent, sounds like a plan. I'll pm you and give you a heads up next month when I'm heading down. Thanks!
Cool!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

Everyone still happy with X-pel? The local installer is a Lexus Cadillac dealer, will have to get some references.
Looks like the Ultimate may be the way to go for the GT3.

They used to say to not do headlights because of the heat- I assume that must have changed as even Suncoast is selling headlight protection specifically for all models of P-car.

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra