Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean out the oil cooler pockets..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I have seen quite a few 993's in my shop now, and it seems to be a combo of just dirt and as Gunter says the deterioration of those crappy foam seals or often enough, slow seepage or oil leaks that makes the stuff at the bottom of the cooler bracket so nice to work with.....

Gunter, you starting to do your winter maintenance now?

Cheers

Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike J
Yeah, I have seen quite a few 993's in my shop now, and it seems to be a combo of just dirt and as Gunter says the deterioration of those crappy foam seals or often enough, slow seepage or oil leaks that makes the stuff at the bottom of the cooler bracket so nice to work with.....

Gunter, you starting to do your winter maintenance now?

Cheers

Mike
Hello Mike,

Getting colder here and I like to do stuff when the sun shines.

The clean-out of the oil cooler pockets was the last thing, now just an oil change and an extra 10 lbs air into the tires, some leather treatment, an air freshener inside, a 100 watt bulb on a special stand on the passenger floor and 3-4 old comforters over the car keep it toasty inside. (Unheated garage.

Battery maintainer ON but power disconnected. Didn't have any issues when reconnecting power but this is a '95 OBD1 and later models with OBD2 might have different experiences? I don't start the engine all winter, don't believe in it. I just crank it every 2-3 weeks with DME disconnected to circulate oil and roll the car a little to minimize flat spots.

The black 911 was winterized a month ago when it was warmer, same story, old comforters and a 100 watt bulb inside never allows it to get below freezing inside.

Think sunshine.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Your technique is great as usual - I like the crank once in a while without starting to move the pistons and get some oil circulating.

Now that you have had the 993 for a while, how does it compare to the black one? What does the older 911 do better?

cheers,

Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 292 Posts

Thanks to Gunter for the reminder to check these areas. Just a few pieces of leaves in mine and, being lazy, I devised a simple method by using a set of those miniature vacuum attachments with the long, slender tubes rigged up to some flexible clear tubing and my shop vac. By lying down and using one of those LED headlamps, I could easily see what I was doing and the tubing diameter slid right in between the slats in the grilles. After the leaf season is over down here, I'll check again.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If your cooler is dry, the vacuum method works great - but if the cooler is slightly moist/wet with oil, then you get that crap - but I guess with a good shop vac (the ones that can suck up cats - I have two of those...!) its a good idea. I will take a look in that area next time the car is on the lift.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting colder here...Gunter
And I see you've had some snow....

Last edited by Rinty; 10-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 292 Posts

If your cooler is dry, the vacuum method works great - but if the cooler is slightly moist/wet with oil, then you get that crap - but I guess with a good shop vac (the ones that can suck up cats - I have two of those...!) its a good idea. I will take a look in that area next time the car is on the lift.

Cheers,

Mike
Two vacs???...or two cats???
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Vacuums: 2 Cats: 0
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Your technique is great as usual - I like the crank once in a while without starting to move the pistons and get some oil circulating.

Now that you have had the 993 for a while, how does it compare to the black one? What does the older 911 do better?

cheers,

Mike
Strangely enough, the classic 911 turns more heads than the 993. The 911 is a little more noisier and raw, I like the 5-speed gearbox going redline with the 3.2SS with the sunroof open. Since I spend a few years completely refurbishing this 1980 SC and building a 3.2 short-stroke for it, I have a hard time parting with it. Plus it has a J.Walker-rebuild 915 with LSD, new Bilsteins, corner-balanced, aligned and drives very tight. A very good stand-by in case the 993 gets sick. Maybe next year I'll replace the clutch and 1st/2nd synchros plus do some other work on the 993.

No doubt, the 6-speed transmission comes in handy when going on the US Highways, legal limit being 70 or 75 Miles per hour in cruise is very comfortable. But I'm more used to the 911 with 5-speed when it comes to cornering. In the 993, I sometimes forget what gear I'm in.

Mike, you just simply have to try Shaniko-Fossil in NE Oregon sometime in bright sunshine, it'll put a sh*t-eating grin on your face. 8 hours of red-line-bliss.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks for the thread!

My car is running warm even as our temps drop so my first look will be to do this cleaning!

Quick Reply: Clean out the oil cooler pockets..........