bumperette removal: impact on resale value for low mileage 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 AM
fsm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumperette removal: impact on resale value for low mileage 993

Hi all

I have read many threads on the euro bumper conversion and "tasteful mods". Unfortunately, I have to respray the front bumper of my low-mileage (15k miles) C4S in metallic black due to a scratch of someone "gently backing" on my car. Hrrrr.... While I am at it, I will definitely upgrade the fog to Turbo "S" Air Scoops with fog lights (since they need to be painted). I will probably also go for the clear turn signals (either short or long depending on the bumperette decision). I will keep all original parts to be able to return to stock if desired.

My big question is whether I should remove the bumperette by having the body shop infill the "holes" and if I do so what is the likely impact on resale value (if I ever want-need to sell the car)? I have wanted to keep it fairly original except for a few mods to be done over the winter. Part of me think it looks cleaner but at the same time I do not want to hurt the value of what I consider is an otherwise, low-mileage, well optioned great car. I also find the black bumperette do not stood out as much given my car is black.

thoughts welcomed. I appreciate it
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Francis:

I don't think this affects the value at all, as the "clear corners" are Porsche Euro items. In fact, for the typical Rennlister, it's worth a 5% premium.

As you say, the bumperettes don't look as bad on a black car.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't think it affects the value at all, since you're respraying the bumper anyway. IMHO, it's a no-brainer -- much better looking. I went with stock orange Euro lenses instead of clear.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

NP993 car looks great!

To me having that Euro style appearance front bumper is an added plus esp if your doing the Turbo s ducts, you no longer have the original paint anyways with the re-spray. I would be concerned more with them doing the bumperette delete correctly without any future issues.

I went with clear + fogs, one of my fav mods to date!
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

bloody hell man, if you want to remove the bumperettes, do so.

Spending your time worrying about the stupid resale value of this is just pointless.

own the car, don't let it own you
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Don't think it affects the value at all, since you're respraying the bumper anyway. IMHO, it's a no-brainer -- much better looking. I went with stock orange Euro lenses instead of clear.
You know, I actually really like the orange lenses.

I think I might do the front and rear in orange.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

since you are repainting you are fine.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Isn't easy to add the bumperette back on later? Just throw them in the parts bin for the next owner if you want to delete. I just did a respray and wish I had removed them. FWIW I do not agree with comments that since you are respraying the bumper the car is not original...there are not a lot of 993s left that either a) have had at least the front bumper resprayed b) need a front bumper respray or c) the owner is in denial about how the paint really looks to a third party. Original paint is great but as time goes on less of an issue...look at 356 and long nose 911...almost all of the higher priced ones have been totally resprayed...in some cases several times.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave them alone or paint them. I wouldn't bother with the trouble of body work, especially on a black car. For about $50 I had mine painted when I was doing the Turbo S fogs and they look better, especially on a Red car. In your case the car is black, but having paint vs. hard and dimpled rubber would be nicer still.

I also did my rears while they had the paint in the sprayer. A little preparation and paint and everything looks better.

And I hear what you are saying about resale / keeping the car pretty much original. I went so far as to get a 2nd set of bumperettes on the cheap to prepare and spray those so the originals were on hand if I ever returned completely to stock. With 17.5k on when I bought the car it was 100% stock, which was nice. Then I did the changes I wanted and can reverse if I ever sell the car. At least I have the option.

Never did get around to putting in the ducts / fogs. It's not a direct fit, some trimming has to be done...
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are really worried about it, maybe buy a new euro bumper and have it sprayed/fitted
Keep old bumper and parts
It's amazing how this little facelift mod enhances the front end
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NP993
Looks great, I really believe this is how the C2 should have looked stock... ride height, MY02s(for some reason the just look correct to me), and no bumperettes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 365 Posts

Do whatever makes you enjoy the car more and forget about resale.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
If you are really worried about it, maybe buy a new euro bumper and have it sprayed/fitted
Keep old bumper and parts
It's amazing how this little facelift mod enhances the front end
This solution gets my vote....
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
...I really believe this is how the C2 should have looked stock... ride height, MY02s(for some reason the just look correct to me), and no bumperettes
Of course because that's basically how they looked when they rolled out from factory in Europe. It's the stupid US legislation that screwed things up with bumperettes and ride height.
And then consumers added with their need of a sunroof.

Originally Posted by pirahna
Do whatever makes you enjoy the car more and forget about resale.
Huge +1

That's always been my attitude but besides, a modification like this, if you lose something in re-sale value, which I highly doubt, it's going to be within couple of hundred bucks.

I always called bumperette removal, lowering and adding some noise a "Porsche tax" that you had to pay if you bought a stock car.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
ashirji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
bloody hell man, if you want to remove the bumperettes, do so.

Spending your time worrying about the stupid resale value of this is just pointless.

own the car, don't let it own you
+1

Quick Reply: bumperette removal: impact on resale value for low mileage 993