993 Forum 1995-1998

Unique OBDii SAI question - Confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM
p911enthusiast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique OBDii SAI question - Confused

Just bought a 993 cab with 37000 miles on it. I love driving it and can't wait to leave my house tonight to drive some more.

I have an OBDII emissions questions:

I had a PPI on the car prior to purchase and the mechanic told me it came up with a secondary air intake fault code and told me it won't pass emissions in Washington state.

However, the car is not showing a check engine light and to my knowledge has "never" shown a check engine light in the past for this problem (assuming I trust the seller).

I bought a cheap ($70) obdii scanner. I plugged it in a bunch of times, and it shows that everything is ok. No faults or pending faults.

To sum up:
1. a mechanic has told me there's an SAI fault based on his professional obdii scanner
2. NO check engine light is on or has ever been on
3. Cheap obdii scanner says everything checks out.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Will it or won't it pass emission?
Appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

No CEL, NO PROBLEM!

However, if the battery was taken out or died, you will need the ODBII readiness reset, that can take some time.

Take it in and have it SMOG tested, you should be ok.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

the mechanic might have used durametric software which will show fault codes even when you don't have a cel. I have a cheap obd2 scanner which will show no codes even when durametric shows say a voltage fault code.
be nice if you can just get it smog tested as mike indicated and skip the obd2 flags.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Check your readiness codes and report back. A $70 OBDII scanner should have that capability. You may pass emissions but still fail if your readiness codes are not set.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
p911enthusiast
Intermediate

It's good to know knowledgeable people. Thanks!
My obdii scanner has a function to determine if all of the monitors have completed their self-diagnostic testing, and it does show that they have, which makes me think that the readiness codes are set as "ilko" asked.
So, this makes me think that all systems have run their checks and come out "ok".
As "k77070" stated, my mechanic may be running durametric software that might show a fault even when CEL is not on. So does having "durametric" faults present in the computer predict failing emissions if there is no CEL and my obdii scanner is showing "readiness" without any faults shown?
Maybe, I'm giving this way too much thought. I don't want to bore anyone.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

How many miles have you put on it since the ppi? The mech could have cleared the code and if you drove enough, you may have inadvertently set the readiness codes. Whatever the deal, go get it smogged now while the smogging's good!

As I'm sure you know, p1411 codes are very common in these cars!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same issue, a few faults through their scanner which is all additional Porsche specific codes, but no CEL or standard OBD codes. I did have the battery disconnected and failed the first time until I drove it for a few days and everything reset. I don't think youll have an issue.

phil.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by p911enthusiast
So does having "durametric" faults present in the computer predict failing emissions if there is no CEL and my obdii scanner is showing "readiness" without any faults shown?
it could be used as a predictive sign.
if the mechanic is correct that there is an sai fault it likely means the check valve is dying and one or more sai ports are clogged.

you readiness flags will stay ready and you will pass emissions no problem until the sai ports are clogged enough to log a cel.
then you will have to clear the cel to pass emissions but after clearing the cel you will have to perform the drive cycle to set the flags.
check with wa state on that, if you could skip the obd2 test and just have them sniff test the car then you should still be good.
in utah for example it is illegal to have my car sniff tested, so I need to deal with the drive cycle garbage.
anecdotal story, durametric gave me an sai fault for almost 2 years without a cel, so you could be good for years(or days).
when I finally did the sai clean up process the check valve hadn't failed but three ports were very clogged and took lots of bicycle wire drilling to clear them.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 PM
p911enthusiast
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the advice. Very helpful. I just found out that I don't need to do emissions until next winter. I think I'll wait until then to worry about it and enjoy the car for now and through next summer. Can't believe I waited this long to purchase a 993. What fun it is to drive.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If you do not have a CEL then you DO NOT have the code. If you need to get it tested, just go and do so. If it fails you can take it again for free.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 AM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP--

Be sure to see the "sticky" thread at the beginning of the 993 Forum on the SAI Circuit. Everything you could possibly want to know about this annoying situation is in there. Block out about 6 hours to read through it...!

Quick Reply: Unique OBDii SAI question - Confused