Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rennlist spirit

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennlist spirit

I haven't been around much these past two years. Got laid off from my dream newspaper job in Nov 2010, parked my beloved old 993 safely in the barn, and focused instead on frantic mid-career reinvention, like so many others have lately. Been an interesting and all-encompassing ride, with some green shoots starting to emerge. Hard work, and some carefully deployed naivety will always bear fruit.

Now. The enclosed picture doesn't look like much (and it sure won't win me that beautiful new set of Fikse wheels) but it's representative of something far greater than the sum of it's parts: Something I had (almost) forgotten about this place. After noticing a dangling heater box hose under the car, I jacked it up for the first time in three years and pulled off the rotten 16 year-old orange hose, went online to search for the part, saw that it was $250 for six times as much as I needed, and ended up back in this old familiar place. Within minutes of resurrecting an old thread on old orange heater hoses, I had several offers of help, and then MarkD asked for my address, packed this up, and shipped to me, completely gratis. Three days later, here it is. This post is not about cars, or even car parts. It's about basic human kindness, which you don't have to look far for here. Thanks Mark. And thanks to all of you who make this place what it is.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moral of the story...

Don't be a stranger.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, the FDM boys are a class act.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Good to see you here again, Matt. I always loved your work. (For those of you who don't know, Matt is a renowned and bitingly sharp cartoonist.) Hope you're still able to pay the bills with these talents.

The Rennlist spirit is still strong here. I owe a similar post to another member who sent me a very expensive bottle of wine. Will post it when I actually drink it (waiting for the right occasion).
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

There is both a great community spirit and a pay-forward attitude on this list - which is why I have haunted this list for over a decade (some would say too much). I have both received and given gratis as well with no expectations - it just what its all about.

And yes, MarkD and FDM -> class act for sure!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+993 to the above. This board's pay-it-forward attitude is amazing. Countless small & large transactions for parts, whether for money or freebies, and I've never had any issues. And I know I've learned more about this car and its value to my life is far greater due to this board's support for my DIY projects.

Best of all, its fun and encouraging to see people who barely know each other, may not be on the same continent even, treat each other as trusted friends would do.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Matt,

I'm glad you found a cost effective way of fixing your heater hose. I was your backup option if you didn't get it from MarkD. I still have a bit of this hose if you need more.

Rennlist members are very supportive and generous with their time and services. I have used this website many times thru the years to seek help with my 993 and so I try to post help when when I feel I can pay it forward. Mike J is a perfect example of someone who demonstrates the Rennlist spirit!

Luv this website!

Marc G
Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Matt,

Good to see you back here; its been awhile.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Yes, the FDM boys are a class act.
+993
Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Matt, welcome back. It's definitely been a while. I'm blown away "laid off" part, but happy to hear that the new venture sounds like it's a go. Do you want to elaborate for us?

Mark, as always, is a class act that fits the Rennlist spirit like a non-OJ glove
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Love the guys over at FDM! I just got a smallish box full of goodies from them.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Like I said. You people are great.

Marc G - Thanks so much for the very very kind offer. MarkD sent me enough to repair both heater hoses. So perhaps store the hose until the next one rots and the victim posts here wondering where to get that damn hose!

Mike, MikeS, Mark in Baltimore and Steve W, glad to see the trusty Rennlist brain trust still here holding down the fort! (Actually Steve W is more than a brain trust- He's like the Dalai Lama of Porsche Tech.)
Good to hear all your cyber voices.

As to the question of what I do to pay bills now that newspapers are in full "content reduction" mode - I have a decent syndication contract, and spent the past year building a regular freelance stable of print and web clients. The political stuff is exhausting (especially nowadays!) so with an eye to the future, I have also been lucky enough to finagle a deal to create, write and illustrate children's books for Macmillan. First one is done and will be out in the spring. It's called Ben Rides On, about a kid who gets his beloved BMX bike stolen, and was a blast to write and draw. I'll let you guys know when it's available for pre-order, or if I'm in a town near you doing signings next summer!

BTW - my 993 was (relatively) oil leak free for the eleven years I have owned it with almost daily driving. Parked in the barn for 18 months, and now it's leaking like a sieve. There's a moral there.

Now. I have to investigate my seals, change my oil, and find a working console-mounted oil cooler fan switch...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's true, this community is incredible! I've met a lot of people (virtually and some
in real life), who I know will be Porsche-bros forever!

I rock my FD 993 shirt every time I'm in the garage!! Great group of guys over
there in Brentwood!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 421 Likes on 176 Posts

Jakob and I above have met in person even though I live in Dubai and come home once or twice a year and Opo (Rudy) and I have spoken on the phone and regularly communicate via email.

Rennlist and the 993 forum is quite good at bridging the gap especially with members offering help no questions asked...love it!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Glad to hear your talents are being well-utilized, Matt!

Quick Reply: Rennlist spirit