Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand all that, and I don't mind putting some money into the car, I'm just wondering if it'll end up being a money pit like my last P-Car which was a really nice 944. Almost every month the damn thing cost me $500 or more. I've had other sports cars in the past like an RX-7, and a 300ZX and both needed almost nothing other than routine maintanence, and gas...but they didn't have that feel like my previous Porsches did. Wondering if I'm just overthinking things.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't dispute anything said here. Because an opinion is firmly held doesn't make it right. I include my own opinions in that generalization. I don't know what a valve job costs on a NA 993, but on my TT it was $8,500. This was at only 24,000 miles, and for just one valve guide that was worn. The problem was turned up by the leakdown, not the compression test. If I was faced with your situation I would buy the car, provided I had the cash reserve for a top end job. One firmly held opinion I have is this: Once a proper top end job is done, the 993 engine is as dependable and durable as an anvil, capable of several hundred thousand miles.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fabian:

I bought a well cared for lower mileage car, but if I had it to do over again, I would go for a well cared for higher mileage unit. Then you're into it for less money, and you're not as concerned about racking up more kilometres, post purchase.

Pre - purchase, there is never a guarantee as to how much oil a particular car burns, and you have to try to get a feel for the seller's bona fides.

Good luck with your decision, but this car sounds like a safe bet. And they're in a different category than an FR-S or 370Z.

Look forward to seeing you at the Wild Rose meetings.

P.S. If you're worried about mileage, check out RichardEW's car in this sub forum; it's pushing 300,000 miles on the original engine / original heads.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Fabian, you seem to be wanting people guarantee that you won't have any issues after you buy the the 993. That is, of course, impossible to do. On a whole though, at least with what I've read, the 993 is a well built reliable car. Can they have problems? Absolutely. When they do have problem, can they be they expensive to fix? Absolutely.

Your list of potential vehicle purchases is a little strange though. If you think that a FR-S or 370Z is in the same class as a 993 (your dream car), then I'm not sure what to tell you. Just ask yourself, if I get one of those other cars, will I still long for the 993? If so, I think you know the answer. If not, then I think you should go with one of the other cars.

Just to qualify my post, I just purchased a '96 993 C4 Cab with 80,000 miles on it. My dream car. I got it for a great price and even if I find it needs some work, I'd do it again.

John
Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this reminds me of another forum, e46fanatics, that they say ALL e46s transmission break down before 80k miles. I have 104 on mine and it is super strong. Its that the people who do have problems go to the internet to search for the issue, make a thread, and then it eventually amounts to a bunch of people (online) who have the same issue and it seems like all 993s have the same problem, which is not true.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM
FabianS
Pro

Yeah, just like on my Tacoma forum where people are always complaining about suspension issues. Most of it has to do with guys that wheel the crap out of their truck with sub-par lifts, etc. and then complain when something breaks, and blame it on Toyota. It's a mid-sized pickup, not a baja truck. The car is going for a PPI, and compression test, and if it passes with no real issues, I will be picking it up.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice Fabian. Hopefully the inspection comes out favorably!! I have to admit that I thought for sure you were going the 996 route. What changed your mind? Regardless, I think you are making the right decision!
Good luck buddy!
Derek
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM
FabianS
Pro

I was all ready to go the 996 route, but all the RMS, IMS, AOS posts in the 996 section had me worried. Plus, driving your 993 is what made me really want one....that and finding out I could afford one. Otherwise it would have been a 996. I've also think the 993 is the best looking car of all time IMHO, and that the 996 while nice, just doesn't do it for me the way the 993 does. Wife also thinks the 993 is nicer looking as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by FabianS
I was all ready to go the 996 route, but all the RMS, IMS, AOS posts in the 996 section had me worried. Plus, driving your 993 is what made me really want one....that and finding out I could afford one. Otherwise it would have been a 996. I've also think the 993 is the best looking car of all time IMHO, and that the 996 while nice, just doesn't do it for me the way the 993 does. Wife also thinks the 993 is nicer looking as well.
You have chosen wisely, good luck with the PPI.

Quick Reply: Should I pull the trigger?