Sponsored by:

Changing clutch slave hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
porsche_fan
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Changing clutch slave hose

Is it possible to remove the clutch slave cylinder hose (part no. 964-423-477-00-M33) without removing the clutch slave cylinder? In other words, is there enough clearance to unscrew the hose (and replace it) while the clutch slave cylinder is still attached to its mounting on top of the transmission?

I recently changed the clutch slave and I am regretting not changing the hose at the same time, but I really do not want to have to remove the clutch slave cylinder (it was a pain to get pressed in and screwed on to its mounting).

Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

You should be able to do this, as long as space allows for a wrench at the slave end. The other end of the slave hose has a swivel fitting (if I remember correctly).

I replaced my slave & hose in the dead of winter (7 years ago), in an ice-cold metal storage unit, with the car on stands. It was brutal.

In the years since, I've replaced at least four of these for other 993 owners. It gets easier each time, but it's still a major PITA.

Andreas
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I changed my slave recently. It was one of the few DIYs that should have taken an hour and took less than an hour. I bled it again this weekend. I think that changing the hose should be pretty easy with the slave on the transmission.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
porsche_fan
Rennlist Member

Great. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

You will need to undo the rubber hose at the metal hydraulic line first.

Once it is off, you can then unscrew the hose from the clutch slave cylinder.

Needless to say, you should drain the clutch hydraulic system first to avoid a mess.

Some pics here along with wrench sizes needed.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be wrong since I'm not very experienced with this but when I changed my slave cylinder, the rubber hose would not come off from the metal line. Since I was under the car I couldn't get two hands in there well enough to apply more force and I was worried I might break the metal line, as a result, I just left it there. A lift would have probably solved the issue but I don't have one.

When I replaced the slave cylinder in my car, I do not recall the old (and stuck) rubber hose having a swivel end. Because of that, the hose might end up being too twisted when you tighten it if you don't remove the slave too.

That slave is a PITA to get in, however, a trick that worked for me is just moving as much towards the front of the car as possible. That way, you are pushing the slave down with more force. If you stand directly underneath it it's much much harder. Simple physics
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried this and found I couldn't get a wrench on the slave end of the hose and just pulled the whole thing. Set a personal record of 2 hours removing and reinstalling, and will do again soon when I get the MPL slave from Germany!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
I have a 1997 993 C2 and have changed the slave cylinder hose, it took about 10 minutes and another 10 to bleed the line.
Interesting my hose had de laminated and the fluid was going between laminations, which made my clutch operate like a switch.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
porsche_fan
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the feedback, everyone.

Alex, the pics you have posted are invaluable. I used them as a guide when I originally changed the slave cylinder.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi
I have a 1997 993 C2 and have changed the slave cylinder hose, it took about 10 minutes and another 10 to bleed the line.
Interesting my hose had de laminated and the fluid was going between laminations, which made my clutch operate like a switch.
10 min? Wow, your car either lives on a lift and has no heat or you have the arms of a 12yr old with the strength of a pro arm wrestler!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Don,
My car is like new on the underside, I have stripped all the Tectyl, so the car is very easy to work on, and yes it has spent a little to much time on a lift, but it is getting to the way I want it.
I can work on my car without getting my hands dirty, although this is not a good thing...............

Thanks,
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi Don,
My car is like new on the underside, I have stripped all the Tectyl, so the car is very easy to work on, and yes it has spent a little to much time on a lift, but it is getting to the way I want it.
I can work on my car without getting my hands dirty, although this is not a good thing...............

Thanks,
Hi Neil,
I think this ^ requires some pictures. It's always nice to see well-cared for 993s. My rebuilt engine is nice and clean, but teh suspension bits...not so much.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Don,
I will take a couple of picture for you.
The biggest issue, is I removed the Tectyl a few years back and it has started to get some dirt in it again, so I start the removal process again, but thinking of leaving the Tectyl of this time, but then the car is not how it came from the factory......
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Don,
A couple of quick photos.......................
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Changing clutch slave hose