Sponsored by:

TECH TIP: Replace your old 944/964/993 DME relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Glad I might have saved you some $$$ seeing how these have shot up in price.

I re-soldered my spare and new "993" DME relay as well, although I highly doubt I'll ever need it after after re-soldering my original "944" relay.
It may be 2nd nature to you and many others, but yours truly has no soldering tools or know anything about soldering. So, for $27 + shipping, I'll pay my dues to Pelican.

I'll make sure to put the new relay on and make sure it works, then tug it inside the glove box.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
It may be 2nd nature to you and many others, but yours truly has no soldering tools or know anything about soldering.
There is always someone around that is willing to help out.

Originally Posted by mdude
So, for $27 + shipping, I'll pay my dues to Pelican.
That is all they should cost and are worth. I got one from Sunset Porsche for that price (discounted) a few years ago when I got my 993 and before I knew why they failed. Now they list for just over triple that from the dealer. The additional cost must be for better soldering.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 PM
GTi451
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Many of us also remove the relay when the car hasn't been started in a few weeks (or you just changed the oil) and turn the engine over for 10 - 20 sec. to let it build up oil pressure, put the relay back in it's slot, then start the car.
What's the theory here behind pulling it related to an oil change?

My car is a 94 c2. Just did an oil change and had never heard any notable front end buzzing. After starting the car up, now have a pretty noticable buzz that sounds like its centered on the right side of the car astride the fuel tank.

Car drove fine for what its worth. Had been hoping sound would go away, but did not. Tank is a bit over half full. Search had been making me think fuel pump, but am curious based on the above comment.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The theory is that by cranking the car without the DME relay in, you can allow the oil to fill the filters and pressurize in the engine before its started. Crank until you see at least 1 bar pressure - some people do not like the continuous cranking, so you can do it with 5 second spurts. That way, when an oil change is done, you do not have that few seconds starting with empty filters and less oil in the engine. The same goes when the car sits - this cranking will re-wet all the moving surfaces, especially if the engine has sat for long periods of time.

Its has nothing to do with your buzzing. The fuel pump is just forward of the passengers feet, accessible from underneath - is that where the buzzing is coming from?

Try swapping the DME relay with your spare just in case the contact that powers the fuel pump is flakey or arcing..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Mike, just for the record and at least in my case, a couple of seconds of cranking gives me a 5 bar oil pressure indication on a cold engine (~25C/77F).
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Alex

That was not for an oil change, but for the car sitting, correct?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hi Alex

That was not for an oil change, but for the car sitting, correct?

Cheers,
Mike
Correct!....Brain fade on my part, sorry!

I usually pre-fill my oil filters if they are mounted threaded side up. I do so on my BMW R1150 GS Adventure motorcycle. I can't remember if I do on the 993 engine oil filter.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM
creaseuk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm new to Porsche via my dementia suffering Mother In Law leaving me her 1989 944 to repair and sell. The car is in beautiful condition having been stored (not run) in a garage for over 10 years. So a few days ago, I finally got her to buy a battery but the thing doesn't start. I looked over all the possibilities to find there is no gas flow through the injector rail. But, more worrying than that, the car flattens the battery overnight! Welcome to Porsche ownership you sigh...Today I charged the battery and tried to concentrate on starting the car, I bought a haynes manual to try and locate the fuel pump. Why is it so difficult?????? Welcome to Porsche ownership you sigh... Well.. long story short, thanks to your site I was able to ascertain that Mom In Laws 1989 944 is an enigma seeing as there is very little written in print or on the web about it. I'm assuming the fuel pump is in the tank and the relay is called a DME. So, I've just ordered a new one from eBay. Wish me luck when it arrives.. Welcome to Porsche ownership you sigh...Oh, and I just checked the drain on the battery fully charged 14ma Welcome to Porsche ownership you sigh...!! Thanks for the insight
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
The theory is that by cranking the car without the DME relay in, you can allow the oil to fill the filters and pressurize in the engine before its started. Crank until you see at least 1 bar pressure - some people do not like the continuous cranking, so you can do it with 5 second spurts. That way, when an oil change is done, you do not have that few seconds starting with empty filters and less oil in the engine. The same goes when the car sits - this cranking will re-wet all the moving surfaces, especially if the engine has sat for long periods of time.

Its has nothing to do with your buzzing. The fuel pump is just forward of the passengers feet, accessible from underneath - is that where the buzzing is coming from?

Try swapping the DME relay with your spare just in case the contact that powers the fuel pump is flakey or arcing..

Cheers,

Mike
After my first oil change, when I started the car, the engine rpm'd pretty high and I attributed it to no oil in the crankcase and pump. Ever since, I have pulled the DME and cold cranked to build pressure before starting.

Quick Reply: TECH TIP: Replace your old 944/964/993 DME relay