Sponsored by:

96 targa

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 96 targa

rosyln porsche ny just sold a 1996 993 targa polar silver , full neopol blue leather , 6 speed , 8600 miles. not a scrath , perfect selling price 52000.00. is a targa more valuable the a coupe of same milage /condition
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i think a targa may fetch more then a carrera coupe or the same price as a carrera S coupe, but the 4S is the more expensive car.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i think a targa may fetch more then a carrera coupe or the same price as a carrera S coupe, but the 4S is the more expensive car.
not
Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I wish you were right, since I own a 993 C4S, but history says otherwise and I'd hafta offer a different opinion.

Coupe is usually with more than a Targa, all things being equal. But not always.

Carrera S (C2S) is usually worth at least as much as a C4S, and often more. Aside from the Turbo, the C2S usually commands the highest price of any 993.

Notice there are a lot "usually" and "often" thrown in here, as a really nicely cared for C4S will sell for more than, say, an abused C2S with the same mileage.

The biggest drivers of price on any of these cars are mileage, condition, documentation and modifications, if any. All these things can factor in to make a base C2 with pristine credentials, super low miles, perfect condition and tasty upgrades/color combo worth more than an abused, ratty, high mile C2S.

That Targa selling for $52K doesn't seem too out of line for someone who really wants a Targa and all that entails, and wanted a super low miles example.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SPD YLO
not
i know, i know.... call me crazy.... but comparable targas have been as much if not higher then basic carreras lately..... and for no good reason.

C2S and C4S are about the same and have been higher then targas which i should have said.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

According to KBB a targa is worth approximately $2k more at high retail than the identical coupe with everything else being equal. I have not seen any proof of this in the market however. Targas and Cabs seem to all be priced lower than similar coupes and far below any C2s or C4s and they seem to take much longer to sell.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 PM
porsita
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rarity value comes into play when similar cars are offered for sale and if a buyer is in the market for that model they will pay the premium
The Targa in question would fit that bill and comparing it with a similar coupe of which many more are potentially available should always bring a premium
Wide bodied normally aspirated cars have established a new following here in the US due to many factors but in Europe the purists prefer the standard body unless it's a Turbo
I guess this is due to the fact that the S models do not offer any real performance enhancement over their narrower bodied cousins
Bottom line is that we all have unique aesthetic reasoning that makes certain models more appealing than others and when the right one comes along the justification for paying a premium becomes easier
On the other hand there are those who rely on "mass market" appeal or universal acceptance to justify paying it for reasons related to re-sale values or the sense of belonging to a sub group of followers
With 993 ownership whatever path you choose the rewards are high so money paid should be of secondary importance, just follow your heart
Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
According to KBB a targa is worth approximately $2k more at high retail than the identical coupe with everything else being equal. I have not seen any proof of this in the market however. Targas and Cabs seem to all be priced lower than similar coupes and far below any C2s or C4s and they seem to take much longer to sell.
Agreed...... I think here on rennlist we like the thrill and modibility of our 993.... With that said, I think starting with a regular coupe and targa with equal mileage, conditions, etc....all else being equal, targa are a little less wanted... Maybe the weight factor, I dunno. But I've notice they and the cabs do go a little lower and longer time to sell....
Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting stuff. Putting together the data to prove this one way or another is next to impossible due to all the intangibles around mods, condition, etc. Other issue is that IIRC a majority of Targa's were sold as tiptronic here in the US, which hurts the value. Wonder if this is the same for cabs?

I wish rarity drove value...If I could get north of $52k for mine (1998, 33k miles, one of 122 1998 models of which 22 were 6-spd, all stock except suspension), I'd take it. But I can't.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by McQueen993
... Putting together the data to
I wish rarity drove value...If I could get north of $52k for mine (1998, 33k miles, one of 122 1998 models of which 22 were 6-spd, all stock except suspension), I'd take it. But I can't.
Here is a 34k ml Targa 6 speed at TruSpeed: http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/car...s.php?cid=2122

They're asking $46k, which means probably $42k tops. Still, not a bad price. But I can't conceive it going to high 40's or even low 50's unless there is a wholesale change in valuation of 993s in, say, 5-7yrs when all cars are 20% higher than they're today. We can always hope.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Huh? The 2S cars go for more than the 4S equal. Look how many here have gutted the front wheel drive on 4S's to help back that observation up.

Not a knock on Targas, but Coupes have more value to more people. For the right car/price, I would've gone for a targa, so I am not opposed to them. But, seeing the number of threads this year on Targa top issues, has me glad I found a nice coupe.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Even though I had a Targa for 10+ years, I am now recommending to most of the people that contact me to avoid them -> as these cars age, the roof mechanisms are getting more finicky, and its almost impossible to find someone who really can repair them, nevermind stilly prices for the parts. These cars are not for the non-DIY or non-mechanical guys.

Quick Reply: 96 targa