Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I committing a mortal sin by not changing the oil after 2500 miles this season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I committing a mortal sin by not changing the oil after 2500 miles this season?

I guess that this must sound like sacrilege to some of the ardent believers in clean oil, I can hardly believe that I am even contemplating the following heresy, but will I run any risks by not changing it this year, and running the car for another season on the oil put in at the change in September last year? I have gone a mere 2500 miles on it. My indie reckons that a change is a waste of money and oil. I had planned to get it changed before putting the car to bed for the winter in October, now I am having second thoughts. I guess opinions will differ. The car is in excellent condition, has just been inspected and had a light service by the OPC and has 23 500 miles on it. Thoughts?*
Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, beyond redemption
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

it will be fine, especially if you drive it once and again.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

2500 miles is not a whole lot......

how long do most people here drive between changes?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 282 Posts

I've only put on about 500 miles since last winter's oil change and don't plan on doing one this winter. Even with 2500 miles, you're ok not to change. Who knows though, I have extra oil and filters ready just in case I get bored
Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM
tian647
Instructor

A mortal sin? No. Leaving your car in an ideal state? Well, no to that too.

Having driven so few miles and with the volume of oil these cars hold there is undoubtedly plenty of life left in the oil. But as you drive the oil does collect trace deposits of combustion by-products which are generally acidic and which can etch internal passages and accelerate ring and bearing wear.

The $64k question then is how much accumulation of those potentially harmful remnants has occurred over so few miles?

Because you came here seeking another opinion it seems you have your doubts about just leaving it in there. The couple alternatives I see are: trust your indie, just change the oil already, or send a sample out for analysis and see what they find in it - then you have objective data to work from.

I have too many vehicles and insufficient time to properly tend to them all, so the less exotic ones get neglected over the winter like your mechanic suggests. They still work fine, but then they are similar to models with anecdotal stories of running forever on condensed hummingbird wizz, so may not provide an apt comparison.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thoughts? E_T
You are a brave man, bringing that up here.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe we will need the Pope to weigh in on this one!

Send out an oil sample for analysis.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 PM
E_T
Instructor

Thanks, guys. Interesting that both the dealer and the indie acted with surprise when I mentioned that I'd planned to change the oil. Cannot imagine that opinions would differ that much on this side of the pond, but cars in Europe generally see more mileage than in the states. I had planned to change it, it is just that it was downright dismissed as wasteful and unnecessary by two independent parties, who I would assume would be interested in doing the job. An analysis would be interesting, no clue as to who would provide such a service here, though. Sure there is no Vatican-based provider of engine oil analysis either. I want the car to remain in ship shape, and intend to drive it more.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Where is"here"? You might want to add location to your signature.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM
E_T
Instructor

Just realised this, Mike J. Vienna, Austria.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ahh - there must be several good oil analysis labs in Europe -> that is the best way to find out what the the condition of the oil is. After a few tests, you will know generally at your mileage what service life and how dirty the oil is.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by E_T
Cannot imagine that opinions would differ that much on this side of the pond, but cars in Europe generally see more mileage than in the states.
Don't know about more mileage considering how close everything over there is, but certainly harder mileage considering cruising speeds are generally over 110 MPH.

My oil will be changed this fall after being last changed two years earlier. Our cars have lots of oil and two oil filters. Co-worker's BMW 330 Ci oil gets changed every 15K miles and he now has over 150K miles on his coupe. Petroleum labs on the next floor tests his oil and all is good.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 PM
E_T
Instructor

Sorry for my ignorance, but how exactly do you go about the oil analysis? Take a sample during a change and send it off? How much oil are we talking about?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by E_T
Sorry for my ignorance, but how exactly do you go about the oil analysis? Take a sample during a change and send it off? How much oil are we talking about?
Say 3 Hail Mary's and send your oil to Blackstone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Everything you need to know is on their website. There may be an issue sending a liquid across the pond in this day and age though.

Signed, Father Cupcar

Quick Reply: Am I committing a mortal sin by not changing the oil after 2500 miles this season?