Sponsored by:

Possibly the best upgrade I've ever done - new amp and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Possibly the best upgrade I've ever done - new amp and speakers

Got an Alpine Head unit 2 months ago with Pioneer component door speakers. Couldn't hear a darn thing when my windows were down (and sunroof open made it even worse).

I strained to hear NPR, talk radio on Sirius and music. I could only really hear it well when the windows were closed the whole way and even when I put it on the max setting 35, it still stunk.

I went back to the car stereo shop and they said I need a new amp and rear speakers. I bought the Alpine KTP 445U amp that fits under the dash. The people at Crutchfield said this would be "like night and day" difference in sound. They also recommended the 4X6 factory replacements - Retrosound for the rear deck.

When I brought these into the stereo install place, they said this wouldn't be much more power than what I had and the speakers were pretty lame in their opinion and wouldn't even really replace my rears since I had the premium sound speakers.

They suggested a 150 wt Cerwin Vega amp and Cerwin Vega speakers. I went with their suggestion and am totally, WOWED by the sound of this upgrade. I was yelling with joy after 10 minutes in the car. Yeah, our engines sound great I guess. I prefer the sound of talk radio, or my favorite music cranking out the speakers.

I am so happy with this stereo sound now and wish I did it many years ago. If you throw enough money at a problem, you can fix most anything . It wasn't even that expensive either.

Not sure if these pics will work but I'll try my new hosting site. Photobucket isn't working tonight...

Yes, I do realize this doesn't even look remotely like stock, but I don't care. This works for me and the sounds is amazing. I get that those of you that are purists may think this looks like shi* since it's not stealthy, but it's awesome in person and I'm the only one driving and enjoying it.

I think he said these are 5 1/4"s back here...

Yep, looks weird, sounds killer

Decided not to go with a sub. I need ALL the room in here I can get. I put a lot of stuff in the trunk as it's my daily driver. Not much in it now of course.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I am glad you have good sound - but I do not really like the way they mounted the rear deck speakers, no grills and no protection, they just look like they were screwed down. You worried about UV or other damage?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
I am glad you have good sound - but I do not really like the way they mounted the rear deck speakers, no grills and no protection, they just look like they were screwed down. You worried about UV or other damage?
I thought it was weird too when I picked up my car. They said the way they did it, it will sound the best by far. They offered to redo it another way if after time i'm not happy with the way it is. So I can always change it. For now, I'll just keep it this way for a while. At $80 for the rears, if they get damaged after a few years, no worries.

I understand they look strange this way though. I'm still amazed at the unbelievable enjoyment I'm getting from them, strange looks or not.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i rather my speakers have crappy sound then crappy appearance.

id change em' out
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

id change em' out
Hmmm, I hear ya. I'll consider doing something about that then. I had a feeling you guys would think these things looked like crap back there! Does anyone have a pic of a killer looking, stealthier rear speaker install and the brand of speakers they bought?

At this point, money is no object since rear speakers are cheap as hell as is the install compared to other stuff I still have yet to do on my car.

After sleeping on it, I realize you do have a point.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no depth behind those rear speakers so most have put good speakers in the doors. I put little 4x6(?)'s back there and put 8" subs behind the rear seat using custom subwoofer boxes in the footwells.
http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm
Either way, I don't think our cars have great acoustics.

Last edited by matt777; 09-16-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM
trap125
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got JBL GTO6428 speakers and they fit straight in and sound great! http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p...hlight=#721104

Sorry to say this, but I do think the install looks rather poor.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trap125
I've got JBL GTO6428 speakers and they fit straight in and sound great! http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p...hlight=#721104

Sorry to say this, but I do think the install looks rather poor.
Dang, that looks Killer! I'm send this info to my stereo shop.

So this is them?

Amazon Amazon

Wow, CHEAP, too - $52.36 ! Wonder why they didn't suggest this? They said the 5 1/4" Cerwin Vegas would sound amazing. They do but... they look bad I guess now that you all pointed this out. Guess my initial impression of "huh?" was correct.

Thanks a lot.

sr
Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM
trap125
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh, that looks like them.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

id change em' out
+993

Andreas
Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Glad the sound is great, because the install looks as bad as the sound is good.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Glad the sound is great, because the install looks as bad as the sound is good.
Apparently I can't do anything right with this car. Talking to them now about other options. I get it. It looks like dog doo. I'll throw some more money at it and eventually hope to hit pay dirt.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Default !

Edit to last post: Just spoke with them. I can't use the JBL GTO6428 since the premium sound system that came stock with my car actually uses a 4" with a tweet off to the sound. The JBL 4X6 doesn't fit my car. At least that's what he said from the install place. My only option is a 4" speaker which won't sound as good, then modify the rear grill covers (or something like that) and I'll come back and have much lesser sound but a much better look.

You're right. That would be better by far! I'll post a new pic when it's "fixed". You guys rock!
Steve
Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think with all the aftermarket car stereo kits out there they should be able to find something to cover those speakers with. I agree with you about having a great stereo sound but there is no reason for it to look off like that. Maybe put a 4 X 6 cover on them?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed all you need is a proper cover, grill etc so the speakers don't look so expose + draw so much attention. If nothing is readily available, fabrication can't be that hard to source too IMO.

A decent sounding stereo is a must for me too. I'm thinking the TTs come with an upgraded setup as I'm very happy with my factory speakers.

Quick Reply: Possibly the best upgrade I've ever done - new amp and speakers