Sponsored by:

Possibly the best upgrade I've ever done - new amp and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Poor Steve always getting beat up around here

Second install does look a million times better.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Baj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks much better the second time they did your work.
As others have said the rear speakers should be used for fill in only.
To get proper sound from your car you need to upgrade your front speakers and bolt/fix them to the metal of the door.
I have disconnected my rear speakers, the sound stage sounds much better and have no problems hearing all my music even when driving with the windows open, and I have a fab speed muffler bypass.
The way the speakers are fixed into the car is the most important.
Fixing the speaker to a flimsy door card or shelf is not going to help.
If you want to improve the sound further add a small sub.
I am running an 8" JL Audio 8w3v3 in custom box in the glove box. The sub is only playing the very low notes at around 40hz and I have Focal KRX2s up front running From a JL Audio 900/5HD.
I used to own a car audio shop in the UK, it really saddens me to see people getting poor advice from so called professionals.
Almost every 993/964 owners that has sat in my car have bought the same setup as me.
Pics were taken during build and with an old lower dash section.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ericthepilot
Very nice job, congrats.

Don't get bothered by these **** retentive RL's that have no other life then to know better, critique more and be always speaking up about anything and everything that could, should and would do different. 993 or anything else related.

Its your car, you live with and enjoy the s*** out of it.
Kudos, don't for not letting these RL grannies ruin YOUR ride !
I love NPR too and these stock audio sucks, I agree !
wow, really?

The first install looked like dog****. I don't care if you think thats judgmental, its true.

Had Steve here started with the 2nd install, I think the thread would have been very positive.

I listen to the stereo 100% of the time I'm in the car and the stock stuff sucks, but lets face it, that first install was absolute crap.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow much better, kudos for getting on them to get it squared away, looks great now, invisible.

its too bad many audio shops need to be really pressed to do the job properly.

what was the outcome of the Air Conditioning Repair?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

looks awesome!!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
wow much better, kudos for getting on them to get it squared away, looks great now, invisible.

its too bad many audio shops need to be really pressed to do the job properly.

what was the outcome of the Air Conditioning Repair?
Thanks guys. I was actually very surprised they didn't charge me to redo the rear speaker set up. They spent 2+ hours on it yesterday.

The A/C appears to be fixed and is blowing cold *** air. I'll know for sure in the summer when it's close to 100 degrees out and ultra high humidity.

Now, on to the horrible noise in the blower motor. I'm going to start with Tri Flow and if that doesn't fix it, buy a new blower motor, unless I can find a used one that's in great shape! Driver's side... squealing like a pig after some time in the car.

These are notes I made from the other thread I started. I plan to use these notes to my benefit, as usual!

Steve, since these Bosch fan motors are available separately, I might assume you can just replace the motor and re-install the original plastic fan.

I've seen them on-line for under $100.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My pass. side fan squeeled like a pig coming home from Hershey back in April. I lubed it up really good, and it has been quiet since
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***I can't find the thread right now, but someone on this forum suggested Tri-Flow a while back, which I have used with great success. The linked item below comes with an extension straw that is just long enough to reach the shaft and bushing of the fan motor. Just pop out the cabin filters and put a drop or two of the Tri-Flow on the shaft. Let the motor run for a minute or two and put in another drop for good measure. Re-assemble filters and housings and you're done. Six bucks and 15 minutes.

Did this to mine a year ago and no sign of it re-occuring. Product contains PTFE, so it should last quite a while before needing another drop. ***

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri...Lubricant.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We can also get ether left or right side blower motors. For more information Click Here. Glad you found someone a little closer and trusted, the rennlist is a great place to network. $730

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES14...ign=postreplyx
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 254 Posts

lol...looking for to hearing it on Sunday...
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

So much better, glad it worked out for you!

Like you, a decent to good sounding stereo is a must for me too.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I am glad you have good sound - but I do not really like the way they mounted the rear deck speakers, no grills and no protection, they just look like they were screwed down. You worried about UV or other damage?
+ 1 on what Mike said...It was the first thought that crossed my mind when looking at the install photos.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

That's interesting...do you lose use of the glovebox, or does it fit into the cavity? Years back I saw pics of a 911 that had a very slick sub-box mounted in the passenger footwell tucked all the way up agains the firewall. It didn't look like it reduced the passenger footwell space at all.

Originally Posted by Baj
I am running an 8" JL Audio 8w3v3 in custom box in the glove box....

Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re-mount with grills over them. I'm with CRS. Sometimes form wins over function.
great components tho!
M.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM
osugasman
Racer

Steve: What head unit is that? Looks like a Kenwood something or other.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Alpine unit. Don't have the # since I'm at work. Something like a 1380 or something like that...
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default If it looks like dog****, smells like dog****, its dog****.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, really?

The first install looked like dog****. I don't care if you think thats judgmental, its true.

+1. "Wow really".
When initially viewing the rear speaker install I thought it was a joke of sorts. That or,, I'm so ****, so up tight, that you could stick a piece of coal up my *** and it would turn into a diamond ! - Ferris Bueller's Day Off '86

If your hell bent on having the rear speakers operational (I'm not) do a simple search. Pleanty of the 911s (993) fit the Polk 461 plate 4x6" or the the JBL plate 4x6" as example install easy enough with the stock grills. Many offer a nice finish undetectable from OEM. What's not to like.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Baj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by David in LA
That's interesting...do you lose use of the glovebox, or does it fit into the cavity? Years back I saw pics of a 911 that had a very slick sub-box mounted in the passenger footwell tucked all the way up agains the firewall. It didn't look like it reduced the passenger footwell space at all.
Yes you do lose the glovebox but i never used it anyway.
There was not much of a cavity up under the dash so I had to use the glovebox to get the correct box volume, very little footwel space is lost.
Maybe on a 964 it would be possible as it has quite a bit of space because of no airbag and a higher up glovebox.
A shallow sub might work but I found the jl sounded perfect in the car.

Quick Reply: Possibly the best upgrade I've ever done - new amp and speakers