Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Growing farther and farther from my 993 cab?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 PM
jumbolump
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growing farther and farther from my 993 cab?

Is it time to move on? I love my '96 993 cab. In my mind it's perfect in every way from the way she runs to the way she looks. Best color combo midnight blue over cashmere. In perfect shape and just now really hitting stride w/ 50K on the ticker. No room for the kids anymore and don't see much time to drive it like it should be or as often. If i sit it in the garage will it gain value or just sit there and bum me out?

I know many seem to have been in this position w/ growing families, limited time and funds to invest to keep things on the slope. Is now a good time to sell or just keep it and hope to get more time to enjoy? If I sell now what's next that I can enjoy given the 993 itself and the strong community I'd be missing?
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Do a search - every few days the forum gets someone who is thinking of selling for whatever reasons and then need opinions, assurances, comradeship, etc.

I am sure you will get replies, but its all opinions. The answers you seeks are particularly yours - and no one else's. You know the answer but are looking for assurances - you can get those for sure - but you are also asking a very bias group here.

Good like with the sale!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, whenever I start to question whether I should sell a car, the answer is already clear otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. Having recently sold my 964 turbo, I can tell you that while it was a difficult decision, once it was done it was a big relief. Having that much money sitting in the garage doing nothing made me uncomfortable. The fact is these cars won't get much use with a growing family.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Exactly right! We will offer opinions, but you really do know when its time to sell, but you have to admit it to yourself, and get on with it. :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you are hard pressed for money I will not get rid of a 993. I collect many things one of them guns. I once made a terrible mistake to sell one of my collector’s guns and I have always regretted it. My 993 will go to my grand kids. It sits in my AC garage and it has 40K miles. Yesterday I took my grand daughter, 9 yr old, out for a ride and we had a blast listening to Credence Clear Water revival Susie Q. It had been two months since I drove it last. I think the 993 is the most beautiful 911 ever built. Just to know when I want to drive it or just look at it is there is what collecting is all about. Do not sell it.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
...It had been two months since I drove it last. I think the 993 is the most beautiful 911 ever built...
OT: how do you keep the battery in shape? I've been wandering... There are no lack of RLers who drive their cars once a week or even further apart. Do you use a trickle charger or some other means?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
OT: how do you keep the battery in shape? I've been wandering... There are no lack of RLers who drive their cars once a week or even further apart. Do you use a trickle charger or some other means?
I use the Battery Tender
Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
CTEK 7000 with battery cable adapter - makes for a quick & safe connect.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now listed on The Bird:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-cashmere.html
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbolump
Is it time to move on? I love my '96 993 cab. In my mind it's perfect in every way from the way she runs to the way she looks. Best color combo midnight blue over cashmere. In perfect shape and just now really hitting stride w/ 50K on the ticker. No room for the kids anymore and don't see much time to drive it like it should be or as often. If i sit it in the garage will it gain value or just sit there and bum me out?

I know many seem to have been in this position w/ growing families, limited time and funds to invest to keep things on the slope. Is now a good time to sell or just keep it and hope to get more time to enjoy? If I sell now what's next that I can enjoy given the 993 itself and the strong community I'd be missing?
Sell it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 257 Posts

Sell it if you want to sell it. Keep it if you want to keep it.

If you are asking, then maybe you should sell it.

No right answer. Do what feels right and move on.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 AM
jumbolump
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. Time to sell Posted at link above.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

park it and forget about it for 15 years..... it will still hold value.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
park it and forget about it for 15 years..... it will still hold value.
From a financial perspective that is not a good move. You will have an asset that has zero or negative growth, ties up capital, has potential mechanical costs due to long term storage (15 years of not running?), and takes up storage room that potentially can be used for other things.

It would make more sense to sell it, park the money into something that at least keeps up to inflation, and then 15 years later figure out what you want at that time (hard to predict), and go ahead with that. Who knows what that will be.

If the car sits for long periods (say a year), then definitely consider selling it. You can always get another one, and in the meanwhile its a load off your mind.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Growing farther and farther from my 993 cab?