Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Supercharged 993 - Improving charge air cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks guys!! She just eats and sleeps, what a wonderful child!!! (knocks on wood now...)

Some progress with the intercooler(s). I made the end tanks bigger for better flow. Didn't weld them yet so I could test them once more. It's a tight fit but I think it will work. There is a little clearance for the engine to move as well.

On the front of the cooler there is plenty of room for a proper airbox. I will make it out of carbon fibre and dimension it so that I can use OEM paper panel filters.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks good Juha, still a nice big opening to keep cool ambient air coming into the engine bay.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Quick question juha...... Is it possible to put in an intercooler for NA engine?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doc_porsche
Quick question juha...... Is it possible to put in an intercooler for NA engine?
There really is no point for that. Firstly an IC would seriously influenve the intake air flow (it's one thing to push/pressurise air trough an ic core but completely different to try and suck air trough it). Secondly, the ic uses the ambient air to coold down the extremely hot charge air. There is a big delta between those too, heat gets transferred and the charge air cools down. But try to cool down the fresh intake air with same temperature air flow. No delta T, no cooling effect.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats! and nice work with the inter-cooler. I may work up something similar for my TPC supercharged car. Keep up the posts!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Thanks! If you decide to do something similar to what I've done, let me know if I can help you with anything!

I have been thinking about the best way to route the charge air piping. It would be good to keep the piping as short as possible, so I should run the air from the supercharger directly into the drivers side IC inlet and connect the right side outlet of the IC to the intake manifold. But in order to do that, I need to fabricate a new outlet manifold for the top of the SC, and it would require quite tight radius for the inlet pipe.
Then I came up with an idea to run it the other way around (from SC to the passenger side of IC and out from the drivers side into the intake manifold). This way I could use the original SC outlet manifold (which is actually quite decent from a flow point of view), and I wouldn't need to make the bends so tight.
Surely there would be more charge air piping but I don't think a straight pipe will be such a bad thing!? Or will it?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

This going to work really well!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
This going to work really well!
I think so too!

Just so I give credit to who it belongs to; Basall Skull is the mastermind behind using the GT2RS intercoolers!
I was linked to his DIY IC thread by a friend and placed the order for a set the following day...
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Juha,

I like your layout for air flow in and out of the intercooler. I just looked at my SC plumbing and it looks like my piping is different (older?).

Here are pix of my SC. I just pulled the engine/trans out for some major work (clutch, valve guides, piston rings, reinforced rear engine carrier, and a bunch of small stuff).

On my SC plumbing, there is a lot going on just behind the outlet pipe with the inlet pipe. I also wanted to see if I could reinstall the cruse control unit (nice on long trips, but not absolutely necessary). I will give the air-to-air intercooler some serious thought to see if I can make this work for me. With the engine out, it should be easier to work out the details.

I will be following you progress with great interest!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great work so far!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Been busy with work the whole week but some progress still. The wing is painted now and the cooler end tanks welded + pressure tested.
Tonite I was working on the brackets for the cooler and I also designed the new plenum for the SC outlet. (using the TPC provided plenum didn't work after all).

I was hoping to do some testing on Monday evening at a local track but I think the schedule is too tight. Tomorrow night I'm going to the first hockey game of the season (and probably will get drunk too) and then I have the family to take care of too... Not easy, life is...

Some photos:

Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

All good things take time to do it right!!!

Gotta have fun while the wheels turn and ideas flow in the background.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
There really is no point for that. Firstly an IC would seriously influenve the intake air flow (it's one thing to push/pressurise air trough an ic core but completely different to try and suck air trough it). Secondly, the ic uses the ambient air to coold down the extremely hot charge air. There is a big delta between those too, heat gets transferred and the charge air cools down. But try to cool down the fresh intake air with same temperature air flow. No delta T, no cooling effect.
thanks for the clarification....
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Subscribed
Old 09-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Intercooler brackets are done now. Next thing to tackle is the charge piping...stay tuned!

Last edited by Juha G; 09-16-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 993 - Improving charge air cooling