993 Forum 1995-1998

Driver door interior speaker housing falling off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Driver door interior speaker housing falling off

Well, it's not quite actually falling off yet but it's certainly not flush with the handle and the rest of the door. Someone told me it was a classic issue with 993. Have you guys seen it and how do you best fix it?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Malibu101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ferik,
Just had the same problem myself and fixed it up. Theres a few screws that hold the carpeted piece onto the door, roughly five or six. On mine there was also a screw that had dissapeared into the carpet In the area that is to the right of your photo above. IE when you open the door all way out it is at the top there. I managed to get the screw out and realign it with the hole underneath and it has come up looking like new. Theres a good link on Pelican Technical Forum about removing the door cover which can help you out with this.
Adam
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

As said, it's just held in with like 6 screws. They all have dished washers to keep the screw from popping through.

All you need to do is remove the screws, pop it back into place, then redo the screws, it's about a 1/4 Beer job.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Could you guys post a pic of where the screws are and how you got to them? I could only feel one screw underneath the speaker assembly and I don't think that was one of them.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Malibu101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this link below; the first part of it gives you a good guide where the screws are.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...doorpanel2.htm

Now on mine I also had a screw that was up near the speaker cover and door handle as I noted above. Also found I really had to search around for the screws as some of them were buried quite deep into the carpet area.

Lets us know how you go.

Adam
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, so I looked at those screws and they seem tight. the issue seems to be with the top art of the speaker housing lose from the handle. From what I can tell, it's glued on in some fashion? You can see it on the photo, it's the yellow part I shouldn't be seeing that's not bonded with the black handle above it. Any idea on how to fix.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ferik
Hmmm, so I looked at those screws and they seem tight. the issue seems to be with the top art of the speaker housing lose from the handle. From what I can tell, it's glued on in some fashion? You can see it on the photo, it's the yellow part I shouldn't be seeing that's not bonded with the black handle above it. Any idea on how to fix.
I can tell you it is not clued to the door handle. Maybe it's the carpet glue starting to show? Is the screw in the door pocket there? Is the plastic broken in that spot?

You should remove the door pull handle, then remove the speaker box, then screw it all back in, & tighten down the door pull.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If someone has the PET blow-up guide you will be able to see that there is a plastic part/ piece on the top of the carpeted Hi-Fi enclosure that interacts with another metal(?) part/ piece on the under-side of the handle.
This connection has failed.
As it is the only attachment for the top of the Hi-Fi enclosure, its failure causes the top of the Hi-Fi enclosure to "fall away" into the car. Which is what I perceive yours to be doing.
The same thing happened to me and I sourced a new set of parts - not very expensive ~<$5/ side (IIRC) from the local dealer.
However, the replacement of the parts has not fixed the issue (for me).
This may be due to the fact that my Hi-Fi enclosures are heavier than stock as I attached an aftermarket speaker (a very heavy Focal mid-range) to the back of the enclosure. As they are heavier, the whole enclosure pulls down and the connection fails.
I'd like to find a good place to put an additional screw to fix this issue, but I do not want to damage anything in the door!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Doc, Stealth,

that's helpful. So what's the best way for me to "remove the door pull handle" to assess the situation?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can see from your image in your first posting that the entire HiFi enclosure is pulling away from the door panel at the point of the front of the door handle.

I would not be surprised when you open the door pocket and look at the screw in the front of the pocket, you will find that the plastic surrounding the screw has broken. This is a very common source of failure. You can even see a crack in the plastic in the right hand picture on the instructions Adam (Malibu101) linked.
This is the ONLY screw holding the HiFi enclosure to the door handle (and the only one in a different planar direction than all the other screws).
If this attachment point fails, the enclosure can sag, pulling the enclosure away from the attachment point I have tried to describe above, and cause the problem you are seeing. Do a search for several suggested methods of repair - the cheapest/ quickest usually involves a larger washer.
If that screw point area is intact, I would suggest removing all the screws and checking the attachment point I attempted to describe above.
With the enclosure not attached by screws, see if you can get the attachment point to "catch" using upward pressure. If it does, try to reattach the enclosure with the screws at a slightly different angle.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

What DocTock said. I had the exact same issue along with the fact that one of the door pockets seemed to be sagging/falling into the storage compartment and you could easily pull the speaker cover away from the door handle. I did the door pocket repair DIY that's well-documented in the archives using some 1/8" aluminum stock from Home Depot that I cut off to size with a hacksaw, filed the edges, brushed with steel wool, and glued in with some JB Weld.

I purposely drilled the hole so that I would have to push on the door pocket just slightly upward to get the screw into the original hole. By doing this, the speaker grill is now very tight against the door handle and the door pocket itself doesn't sag into the storage compartment anymore.

Last edited by ShdwFx; 07-10-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ferik
Doc, Stealth,

that's helpful. So what's the best way for me to "remove the door pull handle" to assess the situation?

You don't have to remove it, just loosen the bolts.

Quick Reply: Driver door interior speaker housing falling off