993 Forum 1995-1998

Ferrari 360 vs Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
As a long time P-car owner/fanatic but also a longtime F-car owner/fanatic I tried to resist chiming in here, but for what it is worth here is my experience:

Ferrari 360-

I have owned both F1 and 6-speed manual versions. The F1 is an impressive piece as long as a person understands they are buying a single-clutch automated MANUAL and the shift quality is akin to a manual... The speed at which it shifts is damn impressive. The 6-speed manual cars have fairly high shift effort and are very balky cold, they need to be driven with an assertive hand... Overall I find the 6-speed manual car to be more involving but definitely slower than the F1. As the cars age I would probably tend towards the manual as I perceive maintenance costs to be lower with old tech. I have personally never had an issue with the F1.

Maintenance Costs: Lately with increased competition I have seen major service costs drop dramatically. I just had the 360 serviced at my local Ferrari store (Ron Tonkin GT in Portland OR) and they did the 30k major including timing belts, all drive belts and all fluids (engine, trans, brake, coolant, etc.) and the total tab was $3200, which I thought was very reasonable. I am happy to send a copy of this invoice to anybody curious. This service is due every 5 years. In off years all that is required is an oil service and brake fluid flush. I do that myself but could have it done for ~$700 or so. So overall even if I use the dealer we are looking at $6,000 over 5 years or ~$100 month. Not to big of a deal and frankly not too different from my air-cooled Porsches...

Failures- There are several known failures on 360's just like there are on any series of Porsche. The key is to do your homework upfront and buy the best maintained example you can find. Ferrarichat is a great example to learn what they are. I personally have only experienced a few issues such as the alarm siren failure, sticky switches, etc. None were game changers for me or crazy expensive.

Paint Quality- In my experience the difference with Ferrari is that they are more inconsistent than Porsche. The cars that I have owned have all had exceptional paint quality with the exception of one car that had some dirt in the paint in one lower rocker. That should have been caught before it left the factory but it wasn't. I have personally seen a few F-cars with paint flaw, none major but have seen it. In my years with Porsche I have only seen one car (89 911) that had a run in it's original paint. I will also say my experience is that the "hardness" of the F-car paint seems lower as they are more susceptible to rock chips.

Interior Quality- I would tend to agree that Ferrari interiors while better than they used to be still don't wear well. Part of the problem is that they use quite a bit more leather than Porsche and frankly leather other than on seats is not the most durable material in a car. The leather dashes are susceptible to shrinking (always use a shade) although you do see this in full leather Porsche dashes as well. The seats also show quite a bit more bolster wear than Porsche seats at like mileage. I think overall the interior on the F-car looks richer than the P-car, but they don't hold up as well.

Driving- You really cant compare the two cars well. The amazing thing about a P-car is that is does everything well and makes few demands on the driver. They are just an easy car to drive fast, are easy to live with on a day to day basis and are overall just a magical combination. The Ferrari makes the most amazing noises, has almost electric throttle response (think early 2.0 MFI 911s...), has light but telepathic steering and generally makes more demands of the driver. If you haven't driven one, put it on the list.

Looks- Clearly this is subjective, I think they are both gorgeous cars but in different ways. The 911 is art to me because it defines the brand and a culture and was just a car that was perfect out of the box. The 360 is a sexy, lithe italian goddess. Which one do you want to take home? You cant go wrong with either. I will tell you that if your shy the F-car is not for you, you do not blend in anywhere you go!

We are all car guys here so my basic summary is that if I could only have one I would have a P-car because it is a car I can live with and use in any situation. The Ferrari is an amazing car but inherently makes more compromises. If you can afford both, do it!

Excellent review - thank you!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I am on my third 360 and first 430. Nice 360 coupes can be had in the $6x,xxx range. R8s are closer to a 430- the best car by far.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Great write ups. Porsche, Ferrari , Lamborghini and McLaren make some great cars and some of these same companies have made some poor models over the years. It happens.

Try to drive them all as they are all different in terms of feel, handling, sportscar sound and the experience. Late model Ferraris, lambos, and Porsches are reliable for the most part but routine maintenance must be performed.

I know many American car guys that would by air cooled 930s and hot rod them and never adjust the valves or let the turbo cool down. When the engine broke they cursed and sold the car despite my previous advice. This happens with any car brand that requires belts and routine preventative maintenance.

Those cars are all great fun and different like Other people have mentioned don't be afraid to try and drive these cars. Each one is completely different in its experience.

For example I have had all twin turbo Porsche cars over the years every single one to a 700hp 997tt. I am 51 years old and my 1987 930 slant nose with 400hp on pump gas is the most fun in my opinion at this point in my life. My 15 year old daughter and under 21 year olds say sell that old POS and get a new car. Forget it. Maybe a 997 GT2 will be added at some point.

Here is another reason to try and test drive. We have had mclaren and Ferrari 458 in the shop. Each car totally different feel in terms of drivers excIte ment and experience each car can not be said to be better than the other.

I own a 2003 360 spider and a 06 Gallardo spider both 6 speeds. Each car is completely different in experience.
The 360 has enormous trunk space while the Gallardo has virtually none. Each car looks very cool and stops traffic and both are timeless but one does not necessarily look better than the other.
The Lamborghini feels more solid and well built but so does my 993 versus latest water cooled Porsche cars but so what I am splitting hairs.

The one thing you might find interesting is that the V10 Lamborghini with 500HP stock HP with Fabspeed modifications +37hp sports race cats rear 70mm x pipe makes a very fast sporty all wheel drive car.

On paper and in the forums Lamborghini gallardo owners will say any gallardo will blow away any 360 and 430.

So why does my little 360 2 rear wheel drive with headers race cats and sport muffler simply just pull away on WOT on the highway side by side by the gallardo?

Bottom line try to drive all these cars and enjoy all the brands as all are different and a lot of hype and misconceptions are posted out there.

If you can come to Fabspeed Motorsport rent listers are welcome to see touch and drive some cars! Be our guest. Open house sometime in September October this year.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Last edited by Joe@Fabspeed; 08-30-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it odd that the 360 is getting so much flak for its maintenance and reliability issues, but no one has mentioned Audi's reputation in this area. Audi makes some beautiful cars, but they (and all recent VAG products in general) can't stay in one piece for anything. I don't know anyone with a water-cooled VW or Audi that hasn't had massive problems with it, I wouldn't bet on their halo car doing any better. It's still fairly new, so you'd be finding out first hand...good luck if that's what you choose.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
I find it odd that the 360 is getting so much flak for its maintenance and reliability issues, but no one has mentioned Audi's reputation in this area. Audi makes some beautiful cars, but they (and all recent VAG products in general) can't stay in one piece for anything. I don't know anyone with a water-cooled VW or Audi that hasn't had massive problems with it, I wouldn't bet on their halo car doing any better. It's still fairly new, so you'd be finding out first hand...good luck if that's what you choose.
Seems like your talking to people in the past. I have owned 2 Audi's and 3 VW's and not had one major issue, as a matter of fact out of all 5 I can only recall 2 minor issues that were covered quickly under warranty. Not saying they are the most reliable, certain models (Like the 2.7 Twin Turbo Engine) are not, but if you buy those your not to smart to begin with. The Audi R8 engine is proven to be very reliable, not sure about the 10.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you all for the 411. My ears say Ferrari, but my head says Audi R8.

.????.?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

R8 then.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
I'm looking at adding one of these to my collection.

If you own one or owned one .... Thoughts?
I had a 360 from 2003 to 2005. Loved it but it was EXPENSIVE to maintain. An F1 system clutch was 4G, brakes after 1 day at the track were 5G, maintenance was crazy, had an alternator fail and that was silly money. I was racing a 996 at the time and therefore everything looked "ok" when comparing with racing money but stepping back, it was just stupid. Having said that, I enjoyed it very much
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No question...owning a 360 would be sex on wheels.
If your pockets are deep, and you can swing the upkeep, it would be a great ride.
Some just aren't willing to give up the hookers and blow.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The cost of maintenance for our cars is quite reasonable in comparision to Ferrari. Not to say that the sound of the engine "music" from a Ferrari isn't intoxicating, the cost of an interval service could almost pay for a complete 993 engine rebuild. Get what you will feel most comfortable dealing with when it comes to writing out the check and locating a qualified mechanic near you.
Attached Images    
Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out this video of my friends 360:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jdhertz...72455558566818
Old 08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

This was his previous, 355:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jdhertz...86107344532130
Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
the cost of an interval service could almost pay for a complete 993 engine rebuild..
that is not even close to true.

a 360 belt service is like $2,500, which won't get you much of an engine rebuild.

Even a major service on a testarossa is not 993 engine rebuild territory...more like a top end.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Ice9
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned and loved a 97 993 for 10 years and a 03 Ferrari 360 for 2 years. I would agree with Nathan1 and David993 in terms of 360 maintenance and performance. I would add that there is nothing quite like the experience of owning a Ferrari. While the driving qualities are subjective, the social interactions the car fosters are memorable and fun. Other drivers, friends and starry eyed kids let you know that there’s something special about a Ferrari – the brand has a unique positive image of success, fantasy and speed. While the R8 is technically excellent, the ownership experience is totally different than a Ferrari. As Ferris Bueller famously stated, owning one is “highly recommended” if you have the means.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we aren't comparing porsche to ferrari.

between r8 and f360, here are some additional data points. basically, get a f360 if you want to save money but still have an exotic car. get an r8 if this is your only car or if you want modern electronics (nav, BT, cam, etc)

r8 - incredible resale value, adjustable ride, easy service at dealerships, lots of parts, more reliable, you get a loaner

f360 - cheapest modern ferrari, great value (as long as the car is prestine), more exotic looking, sounds better, poor craftsmanship, less reliable, can take weeks when parts are required, no loaner, few dealerships

Quick Reply: Ferrari 360 vs Audi R8