Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's that time of year when I consider selling my 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:57 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The 993 is a future classic and at currently the bottom of the depreciation curve.
A bit of patience will be rewarded with value appreciation and loads of driving fun
Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You should have been given a choice on the PP issue.

Originally Posted by B-Line
I have no idea. You'd have to ask the guy who did the work.
Really dumb response to Van1's question.IMHO.
You should have been given a choice on the Pressure Plate. You have a Turbo PP or your left leg is extremely week. Did you have the LWF installed? If you did , take a look at the invoice and give us a part number. Then you will know what is installed in your 993 and can make an edjucated decision and replace it. When I bought my MWF from Andial Pete asked me if I wanted to increase the amount of pressure needed to depress the clutch. I said no and was told to reuse my stock PP as it only had 20k miles on it. Pete saved me about $500.00 and I can/do drive the car daily in and out of Manhattan without issue.Enjoy your weekend gentlemen.

Last edited by 77'3.6vram; 08-25-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: I know it's weak not week.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 PM
alcanada
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not in the market for an R8 but do enjoy your comparison with the 993. Would have expected the significant power increase but the lack of storage space is a bit surprising. Threre are times when I have skipped the 993 for the bigger car with just a set of golf clubs. Would have been nice to be able to store the clubs somewhere other than on the passenger set. The R8 looks fantastic though.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Interesting. But none-the-less, the clutch on my car is really stiff. Has been since Galen at Werks II installed it.
It's fine, dare I say, "Great" for performance and spirited driving but is really heavy for traffic.
Knowing Galen, he did it right.
Personally i enjoy the stock softy clutch
Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold mine thinking I wanted something faster, more modern. Came back to an '89 and am happier than ever, anemic air conditioning be damned.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:30 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't bring myself to read all these posts. There may well be real wisdom in their offerings, but what I did read seemed like so much mental ************. What did you expect to hear from a bunch of 993 nuts, of which I count myself among? Sell this magical car for what? I don't care what the answer,but for me, big mistake. I speak from the experience of doing it twice. Stick with us, we may be lunatics, but we're the the best bunch of lunitics you'll ever be associated with.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find it hard to have the R8 actually compared to a 993. The R8 blows it away on performance, modern convenience and quiet comfort when required. Vs the 997 turbo i can see more of a comparison as they are somewhat the same era and serve the same purpose. air-cooled 911's are emotional rides, not scientific. Had some guy blast past me off the lights today in an RS4... just looked at him thinking to myself..this guy is just missing the whole point. I would have another R8 without remorse but to use for a different purpose to the 993. Best of luck with whatever u choose. its hell of a lovely headache to be faced with.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wonder how they would have felt in a manual?
Friend is selling a an '11 silver/black 5.2 6 speed w/ 5500 miles. (Lifelong sports car guy, got a Radical about the same time I got mine.) Email me if you want a link to the ad. He mentioned it two weeks ago, so I'll guess he probably still has it.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
samuel.g
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP: have you considered a slightly used M3? Similar in performance to an R8, would make a great daily driver and leave some cash in your pocket if you switched the 997tt for it.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by JLJ11
Find it hard to have the R8 actually compared to a 993. The R8 blows it away on performance, modern convenience and quiet comfort when required. Vs the 997 turbo i can see more of a comparison as they are somewhat the same era and serve the same purpose. air-cooled 911's are emotional rides, not scientific. Had some guy blast past me off the lights today in an RS4... just looked at him thinking to myself..this guy is just missing the whole point. I would have another R8 without remorse but to use for a different purpose to the 993. Best of luck with whatever u choose. its hell of a lovely headache to be faced with.
And he's probably looking at you going...this guy is missing the whole point, his ancient p-car has less horsepower than a new accord (or thereabouts)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
And he's probably looking at you going...this guy is missing the whole point, his ancient p-car has less horsepower than a new accord (or thereabouts)
Of course it's all about horsepower. Doesn't everybody know that by now? Surgical steering? Who cares? Panoramic view out? Don't mean squat. Compact size? BS. Quality construction? Doesn't matter.

I could on and on, but I've got to get down to the Ford dealer to trade in my 993s for some big hp. Don't get any better than a V8 and live axle!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Something that some may find interesting is that the TT-RS outperforms the R8 4.2 in torque, 0-60, 0-100, quarter mile, has more trunk space, comes with a six speed manual transmission and can be had for about half the price. The R8 clearly wins in braking and is slightly better on the skidpad and slalom. Food for thought.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Something that some may find interesting is that the TT-RS outperforms the R8 4.2 in torque, 0-60, 0-100, quarter mile, has more trunk space, comes with a six speed manual transmission and can be had for about half the price. The R8 clearly wins in braking and is slightly better on the skidpad and slalom. Food for thought.
Just like a Boxster (cab or coupe versions) will "outperform" pretty much any 911 of similar wt/hp ratio. So what?

Funny I'm having a conversation with someone on our forum here (maybe he's even posted in this thread) about adding an old longhood to his fleet. I'm doing my best to make sure he doesn't get a total POS, given that I'm pretty sure this looks to be a purchase with a budget.

But as I've thought it through as we've been going back and forth the past couple of days, and I reflect on what will be my melding of two torsion bar chassis, I kinda keep reinforcing my pretty much now lifelong belief that the most pleasurable rides are the ones that aren't necessarily the stat kings. And sometimes are the toughest to tame.

Of course if you've got to have a decently comfortably day-to-day experience, the most modern cars deliver that in spades while offering beyond mere mortal performance.

Ain't it great we have so much selection that's so affordable to we in the middle/upper-middle class can reasonably afford?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Of course it's all about horsepower. Doesn't everybody know that by now? Surgical steering? Who cares? Panoramic view out? Don't mean squat. Compact size? BS. Quality construction? Doesn't matter.

I could on and on, but I've got to get down to the Ford dealer to trade in my 993s for some big hp. Don't get any better than a V8 and live axle!!!!!
As usual, you completely miss my point. Let me make it clear:

EVERYBODY LIKES DIFFERENT THINGS.

Maybe the guy in the RS4 thinks it handles well enough but wants acceleration, which a standard 993 is short on.

The 993 is not the perfect car for everyone and not everyone cares about the things you mentioned. Panoramic view....GFTFO
Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now now Oliver. I get you point just fine. It's just that, as typical for you, it has no value. Just a bunch of blather from someone who has nothing else to do. Wishful thinking, but perhaps one day you'll decide to ceasing trolling this site and contribute something meaningful.

Quick Reply: It's that time of year when I consider selling my 993