cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RS 4 Avant!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wifey's DD for the past 4 years and I have become as attached to her G as my 993. We are keeping it. Love it and it gets more looks than a Porsche.

Quad-how long did you own your G?
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. He's been a Rennlister for a long time.
Does anyone remember JimBobJumpback calling B-Line "Bubba B-Line"? I do and got a kick out of it.
I don't even know if I remember him calling me Bubba B-Line.. lol. I've lived so many lives since then.

He was the guy who you could never understand, right?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. He's been a Rennlister for a long time.

Does anyone remember JimBobJumpback calling B-Line "Bubba B-Line"? I do and got a kick out of it.
LOL... I remember that! I also remember how exited B-Line was when he finally got his 993... different times though and people move on... only some of us die hard's tend to hover around and keep the dream alive...

The R8 especially with the v10 is indeed a bitching car Would love to hear the first impressions indeed!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Wifey's DD for the past 4 years and I have become as attached to her G as my 993. We are keeping it. Love it and it gets more looks than a Porsche.
Just in case I wasn't clear... I'd never buy a G wagon

I know people who own them love them.. But not for me. The Escalade is not a fine piece of German engineering but suits the purpose I bought it for excellently.

When it starts to fall apart, I'll trade it in and get a Denali. I've found that owning a Escalade is a little flashy in the mountain towns and I'd rather blend in.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

B-line, good luck on what ever you decide.
We sold our escalade two years ago and boy do we missed it
Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, finding a "good" 993 is not easy at a workable price

You likely know this, but if you sell yours it may not be as easy to replace as it might seem
And then you need to make it your own... with the stuff you want
They are not getting cheaper

Then again, the R8 and 10 are mighty sexay

I need a much bigger garage
And budget
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line

He was the guy who you could never understand, right?
Yep. Wish he would come back. He'd deliver some needed cowboy moderation to some of these threads.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJF1
LOL... I remember that! I also remember how exited B-Line was when he finally got his 993... different times though and people move on... only some of us die hard's tend to hover around and keep the dream alive...

The R8 especially with the v10 is indeed a bitching car Would love to hear the first impressions indeed!
I was actually leaning more towards the V8. Give me your thoughts but here are mine:
I have the Turbo and C2S. In many ways, I enjoy driving the C2S more because I can have my foot to the floor the entire time. When I drive the Turbo, it's so fast, I'm constantly holding back and worried I'm driving too fast (look down and you're doing triple digits..)

I can't help but think, both the V8 and the V10 are monsters. The V8 certainly isn't underpowered (I don't think.)

I can't help but think I'd have more fun with a car that is fast that I can put my foot to the floor more so than a car that is insanely fast (the V10) that I constantly have to back off.

After all, it's still a V8 on a tiny little two seater. Does the V10 make any sense at all? I don't want to lose my license or constantly feel like I have to back off.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:28 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Tough decision. How often do you drive the 993?

You mentioned the escalade being too flashy. What about selling it for one of the long Tahoe's, a used one, selling the turbo, and using the money from both to buy an R8?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

User the_buch went from a beauty of a C4S to R8 V8. He hasn't been online in awhile but you could try a PM. He was going to post a followup when he got the new car but unfortunately, didn't... Bummer, as I was really looking forward to that.

Here's the thread --
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-with-ya.html
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
I was actually leaning more towards the V8. Give me your thoughts but here are mine:
I have the Turbo and C2S. In many ways, I enjoy driving the C2S more because I can have my foot to the floor the entire time. When I drive the Turbo, it's so fast, I'm constantly holding back and worried I'm driving too fast (look down and you're doing triple digits..)

I can't help but think, both the V8 and the V10 are monsters. The V8 certainly isn't underpowered (I don't think.)

I can't help but think I'd have more fun with a car that is fast that I can put my foot to the floor more so than a car that is insanely fast (the V10) that I constantly have to back off.

After all, it's still a V8 on a tiny little two seater. Does the V10 make any sense at all? I don't want to lose my license or constantly feel like I have to back off.
I think with any R8 you will have the same issue as with your TT. The V10 for me does it because of the symphony that plays behind your back. Its a unique sound, very intoxicating IMO and a dying breed of engines... Will be cool to have a V10 for years to come.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

probably the worst idea I've ever heard. A g-wagen as a daily car? Have you ever even driven a G-wagen?

It rides like it has no suspension, sucks gas like 747, has insane wind noise, ergonomics from a school bus, and has limited passenger room.

Not to mention they are expensive to buy and expensive to own.

G-wagens kick *** offroad, but for that you can buy an 80s g280. As a daily driver, they are plain terrible.
Have you driven an Escalade? Loves gas, stiff as a board and constant dealer service for sensor replacements.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris

Quad-how long did you own your G?
Mark,
I didn't.

I liked those things a lot. My friend bought a slightly used G550 about 1.5 years ago and we switched cars for a week (05 s500 4matic is my dd).

I really wanted to like it...but I couldn't wait to get my car back after a week. The C-class interior trim/IC/etc, the bolt upright seating position, the ancient seat controls, the hard ride, wind noise, gas mileage, etc were just too much for me.

If i ever bought one, it would be an old diesel with the spartan cloth seats to use off road. I just couldn't do it as a daily driven car.

Did they ever get the rusty tailgate stuff figured out btw?

Originally Posted by MarkD
In my experience, finding a "good" 993 is not easy at a workable price

You likely know this, but if you sell yours it may not be as easy to replace as it might seem
And then you need to make it your own... with the stuff you want
They are not getting cheaper
Mark,
I disagree. there are plenty of good 993s out there, especially if you are open to more than one or two color combinations. You will pay for a good car, but not unreasonably so.

Right now they may not be getting cheaper. Given the nature of the global economy, in 5 years we may be in another recession and 993s may plummet in value. You really never know.

All it really comes down to is money.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 08-24-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: I don't love cars...removed the nonsense
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got out of my C2S after 2.5 hours in horrible traffic and i still love it. I drove an R8 as a DD for a decent amount of time. Love the relaxing nature of it, nice sound, stability, good in the wet, just an all around great vehicle. But to me thats the point, its just a method of getting from A to B, albeit a fantastic way. The 993 makes me feel like there is more to it than that and for some bizarre reason i enjoy every journey and the character of the car. Cant knock the R8 as a DD , just dont be surprised if u miss the 993. i know i would.

Quick Reply: It's that time of year when I consider selling my 993