It's that time of year when I consider selling my 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

you need a bigger garage!

keep the 993 and the turbo look cab.

trade or sell the turbo for something else...... FWIW the R8 allure wears off after a year and depreciation dosnt make it feel any better....
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Sell the Escalade, the 997 and the 993.

lease a new G-wagon and find a used 997 GT3RS or 4.0L

FWIW, i have over 20 cars and the 993 will never leave the flock... Im looking to add another actually.
Why would I sell the Escalade for a G-Wagon? I use the Escalade as a limo (I hire a driver off craigslist when I'm gonna be out drinking.) and It's great for getting the gang up to Mammoth.

And, I have considered in the past selling the Turbo and the C2S and picking up a GT3RS but that desire passed. I don't really track much anymore. Haven't been to the track in a few years. And I've never owned a convertible of any sort. I'm wondering if I'd like it.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Why would I sell the Escalade for a G-Wagon? I use the Escalade as a limo (I hire a driver off craigslist when I'm gonna be out drinking.) and It's great for getting the gang up to Mammoth.

And, I have considered in the past selling the Turbo and the C2S and picking up a GT3RS but that desire passed. I don't really track much anymore. Haven't been to the track in a few years. And I've never owned a convertible of any sort. I'm wondering if I'd like it.
Im ditching my Escalade in 2013 as it has served me well but is dated.... gona try a G-wagon as the next winter beater.

If you are looking for a fun secondary car that will never see track then perhaps a convertible is a good choice, especially something with a soft clutch or automatic.... but a GT3RS is fun,even off the track
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

It's still got the H&R coilovers, no cup holders, no nav.... (but it does have an insanely good, new, $3k stereo in it with bluetooth.) I hate letting valet's drive it. Where as the turbo, I just hand em the keys. I would do the same with an R8. It's just different. The newer cars are a snap to drive and I wouldn't worry about it the way I do with the 993 even though it's 3x more valuable.
And you can't escape Valet in LA.

And I also feel for a daily driver, I want something more modern. Even in 1996-1998 most people didn't use their 993's as daily driver. It's 15 years later!

I would argue, while the 993 can be used as a daily driver, it wasn't until the 996 that a 911 truly became a comfortable DD.
The problem is that you turned a pretty comfy car into one that isn't. Coilovers (which i hope you have on full soft), stiff clutch, etc. A stock 993 (especially one with heated seats and 17" wheels) is a very easy car to drive, and one that can work very well as a daily driver.

Navigation...garmin or a cell phone works just fine.

Cupholders...there are a bunch of cheap aftermarket options.

As for your valet fear...get over it. You said it, you live in LA. Its just a car, you will ALWAYS find another.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'm one of those who remember "B" from the couple of days after he got his 993 (and still lived in Miami), cool guy and glad to see living his dream in West Coast (you were talking about it back then).

And here comes the perspective you're looking for...

You're ******* mad to even concider selling the 993. Might aound harsh but it's the truth.

You don't need to sell it, the "pain in the ***" of owning 3 cars is really a pain in the ***...
We're talking "1st World" problems here, get over it.

Seriously, your 993 is really. Ice and 11 years is a long time, it's part of the family by now, so when it feels like PITA, get over it.

My advice, if you need to do something, is to sell the 997 TT and replace that with the R8 as the DD.

Cheers,
Petu
Why is he mad to sell it? Did all of them fall of the face of the planet? There are thousands of these cars out there, and there will always be another nice one to buy if he truly misses it. Why not try out a superior car in the R8 for a while.

Your downplaying his "pita" and telling him to get over it is silly. Its not a family member...its a stupid piece of metal...get some perspective

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Sell the Escalade, the 997 and the 993.

lease a new G-wagon and find a used 997 GT3RS or 4.0L

FWIW, i have over 20 cars and the 993 will never leave the flock... Im looking to add another actually.
probably the worst idea I've ever heard. A g-wagen as a daily car? Have you ever even driven a G-wagen?

It rides like it has no suspension, sucks gas like 747, has insane wind noise, ergonomics from a school bus, and has limited passenger room.

Not to mention they are expensive to buy and expensive to own.

G-wagens kick *** offroad, but for that you can buy an 80s g280. As a daily driver, they are plain terrible.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

I think I'd find a way to keep dad's cab and the 993.

Juggle the others.

Regards,

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

Sell the 993....but keep the tail!

Seriously though, sell the 993 and make the turbo your DD. You know first year turbos are taking a bath...so keep her.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot damn, I would do just about anything possible to hang on to a car like the cab with the familial significance. That seems more important than the 993.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know how anyone here can advise you on this...seems like it is up to whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benton
Hot damn, I would do just about anything possible to hang on to a car like the cab with the familial significance. That seems more important than the 993.
The cab with the family significance, think of it like this. Let's say your dad growing up had the coolest car ever and it was a car you ALWAYS wanted.. Then you finally got that car, hanging onto it indefinitely makes sense.

Now lets say growing up your dad got a cool car cause it was a porsche 911, but it wasn't that cool to you. It was a color you would never choose to buy a car in, it was a convertible when you always drove a coupe, etc.

Both my brother and I are track drivers. If we have a performance car, we track it. Now imagine having a car that is a performance car but is not trackable. It's too heavy, it's too soft, it's short on HP. How long would you let that car take up a spot in your garage that you could use for something you enjoyed driving? I think 17 years is enough time considering it got driven maybe 100 miles a year.

Now if either of us enjoyed driving around in a bright red, 25 year old convertible that isn't particularly fast or doesn't handle that well, I might agree with you.. But it's just not our taste.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I don't know how anyone here can advise you on this...seems like it is up to whatever floats your boat.
It's the act of talking about it that helps me form an opinion.
Verbalizing my thoughts and discussing it with others...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Sell the 993....but keep the tail!

Seriously though, sell the 993 and make the turbo your DD. You know first year turbos are taking a bath...so keep her.
If I make the Turbo my DD, I'd keep the 993.
The only reason to sell the 993 would be if I needed the combined equity of both cars to afford a R8 Spyder.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Why is he mad to sell it? Did all of them fall of the face of the planet? There are thousands of these cars out there, and there will always be another nice one to buy if he truly misses it. Why not try out a superior car in the R8 for a while.

Your downplaying his "pita" and telling him to get over it is silly. Its not a family member...its a stupid piece of metal...get some perspective
Me and Petu go back a long way. He is one of the few Rennlisters here who remember the smiles we shared when we both landed our 993's in 2001/2002.

His comment that I'd be "mad to sell it" I'm sure is only a reflection of how "mad happy I was when I got it." Seeing as he remembers those events some decade ago and recognizes the fact that I still have it.

He's not reacting toward it as a family member and he knows it's a stupid piece of metal.. But he also has a perspective, which is the perspective of having traveled 10+ years down this road with me and knowing the affinity I've always had for the car.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a forum and the point of a forum is to discuss things, however, you are on a 993 forum so I hope you weren't waiting for everyone to tell you to sell the 993.

I love the G wagen but that thing has no room inside and it does suck fuel like a 747. If you need an SUV w/ luggage room and which can seat many people, a Chevy/Cadillac is probably your best bet.

Regarding your dad's car, cars are meant to be driven. So if you wouldn't drive it then it makes sense to let it go to someone who will enjoy it. Also, if my dad had passed and I still had his car I would probably sell it just so it wouldn't remind me of that.

Now regarding the R8, I love that thing. I love the 993 more but in a different way. 993 is a fairly raw experience and very unique (air-cooled, rear-engined, etc.), however, the R8 is cool in its own way and is a much better daily driver. I'm not sure how reliable Audis are but I would still like one if I could afford it.

At the end of the day do whatever makes you happy, even if it means leaving the Porsche family. If you don't end up liking the R8 you can always go back to a 993.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Me and Petu go back a long way. He is one of the few Rennlisters here who remember the smiles we shared when we both landed our 993's in 2001/2002.

His comment that I'd be "mad to sell it" I'm sure is only a reflection of how "mad happy I was when I got it." Seeing as he remembers those events some decade ago and recognizes the fact that I still have it.

He's not reacting toward it as a family member and he knows it's a stupid piece of metal.. But he also has a perspective, which is the perspective of having traveled 10+ years down this road with me and knowing the affinity I've always had for the car.
well i guess there is something to that, but things are always great when you first get them. After a while, you want to try something new. After 10+ years, why not move on. You only go around once, try out whatever you can. There will always be another 993.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

After 11 years of ownership... I'm entitled to ponder.
Originally Posted by TTKan
Yes you are!
+1. He's been a Rennlister for a long time.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'm one of those who remember "B" from the couple of days after he got his 993 (and still lived in Miami), cool guy and glad to see living his dream in West Coast (you were talking about it back then).

And here comes the perspective you're looking for...

You're ******* mad to even concider selling the 993. Might aound harsh but it's the truth.

You don't need to sell it, the "pain in the ***" of owning 3 cars is really a pain in the ***...
We're talking "1st World" problems here, get over it.

Seriously, your 993 is really. Ice and 11 years is a long time, it's part of the family by now, so when it feels like PITA, get over it.

My advice, if you need to do something, is to sell the 997 TT and replace that with the R8 as the DD.

Cheers,
Petu
Does anyone remember JimBobJumpback calling B-Line "Bubba B-Line"? I do and got a kick out of it.

Quick Reply: It's that time of year when I consider selling my 993