Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden, iPhone-only sound system (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
JeffDC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden, iPhone-only sound system (DIY)

One of my winter projects last year was to remove the factory sound system and install a hidden, i-phone only audio system. Several members have asked me for details on how I did this and I've finally gotten around to writing it up.

My car is an RS tribute that I only use on occasional weekends and for DEs. I installed RS door cards and removed all of the rear upholstery (including the rear speakers) along with most of the sound insulation. I didn't want a radio head unit in the dash but wanted to be able to listen to music on occasion. I enjoy listening to the Roock/Fabspeed sound system in the back for about 2 hours, then I need some music up front!

What I have now is an iPhone cord tucked up under the dash. When I want music, I pull out the cord, plug in the iPhone, flip a switch to power up the amp, and then either play stored music or stream Pandora. I control the volume with a small volume **** that is discretely mounted in the lower dash (Rennline lower dash cover). If I feel like it, I use a suction cup phone holder on the face of the clock.

I love the system! It's discrete yet there when I want it. To me, it sounds darn good. Not audiophile stuff, for sure, but my car is loud anyway.

Some pics of the installed system follow along with a schematic and parts list.

A couple of notes on my equipment selections:

Speakers: I searched for a speaker that had a very small projection from the top of the mounting surfrace (in this case, the door). I didn't want to see any lumps or bumps under the RS door card. The Infiity's fit the bill.

Amplifier: I wanted something that would fit under the passenger seat, in the position of the original amp. I also wanted something that had an available volume control that would handle the iPhone input. JL Audio had both and I am happy with the performance.

I hope some of you find this helpful, or at least mildly interesting.
Attached Images       
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
iPhone Stereo Parts List.pdf (132.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by vwvortex123
Very cool.
+1
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. The only thing that would be cooler was if the unit had Bluetooth connectivity so you didn't have to mess with any cords.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice work
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

by him using an iPhone he does have bluetooth connectivity with an ear piece...
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's really cool. Nice way to be minimalistic
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for the write up.

Do I spy the LF fender of a titanium silver 135i ?

Regards,

Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
JeffDC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Nice work! Thanks for the write up.

Do I spy the LF fender of a titanium silver 135i ?

Regards,

Good eye, but I am sad to say that it is a 128. I turned my 335 in for that and literally had tears in my eyes. That N54 twin turbo w/ 300 ft-lbs at 1,500 RPM was a blast.

But, all is good, my minimalist () 993 more than makes up for the loss of the 335!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

How about ditching the cable and just having a bluetooth receiver on the amp.. keep the power switch to the amp, and if you want tunes, hit the power switch to power up the amp, then just transmit to the paired bluetooth unit.. You could even ditch the volume and use the volume on the iPhone..
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss. Thought I found someone who shared the same garage as I.

I've got the the PPK N54 tt w/ the six-speed paddle shift auto/manual steptronic.

It's almost like a lightweight sportbike, but with four wheels.

Your 993 looks well prepped. Congrats.

Regards,

Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
How about ditching the cable and just having a bluetooth receiver on the amp.. keep the power switch to the amp, and if you want tunes, hit the power switch to power up the amp, then just transmit to the paired bluetooth unit.. You could even ditch the volume and use the volume on the iPhone..
Would be even easier but the benefit of this is that it charges the iPhone also which we all know is desperately needed with the crappy battery life.

With bluetooth, you'd use battery even more and I'm wondering how's the sound quality with bluetooth (have no clue, just curious)?

I agree with the volume control though, wouldn't it be easier to just use iPhone's volume?

Regardless, very cool set-up! Only one minor esthetic note, it would've been even better if the speakers' cone was black so those holes in the door cards would've been practically invisible...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was referring to the same setup as Coleman. I have some Motorola headphones that I run with every morning and the Iphone stays in my pocket. Most of the music you'd listen to would be either streamed at fairly low rates or would be in MP3 format, I don't think you'd notice the quality difference. No need to change your setup though because its very cool and, as you said, it keeps the phone charged.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a bluetooth unit in my car alpine and it works well.. but it works with an alpine head.. There are most likely easier options out there if you are running no deck. This looks like a good option..
Belkin Belkin
I dont have any issues when I use my BT on my phone for battery.. and if I get low, I can charge from a standard lighter adaptor.. I do think that the removal of the head unit it a great idea.. Was there a "cubby hole" insert for the space, or just a plate like Rennline has?

Quick Reply: Hidden, iPhone-only sound system (DIY)