Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Freak Out Alert: Riviera Blue Cab on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenence wise by looking at the pictures the oringinal stock (? ) shocks will need replacement sooner then later .
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
DALLWA
Racer

I listed the upgrades:

"The prior owner and I have upgraded the following (but include the original with the sale of the car):
- 18" Turbo Twists wheels with new Sumi III tires with about 200 miles on them. Steering rack brace support was added to support 18" wheels.
- Extra OEM black boot (versus standard grey)
- C4 Shifter
- Wide oval tips (originals included)"

I haven't talked a Rennlister, its all Germans at this point.

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I am reading the ebay listing and not clear if there were any other upgrades done. What is a fair estimate of the additional dollars that need to be spent by the purchaser to bring it up to Rennlister standards?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM
DALLWA
Racer

You're saying that, by looking at the pictures you can tell if the shocks need replaced? Can you explain how you came to that conclusion?

or are you just doing the math?

Originally Posted by briefescape
Maintenence wise by looking at the pictures the oringinal stock (? ) shocks will need replacement sooner then later .
Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DALLWA
You're saying that, by looking at the pictures you can tell if the shocks need replaced? Can you explain how you came to that conclusion?

or are you just doing the math?
Well in fairness Tony it is riding at OEM height and your listing does not detail what maintenance has been done...I would assume a 1995 with 30K riding at factory height would need new shocks. If the shocks have been replaced, 30K service has been done, etc I would put that in the listing otherwise a lot of people will assume the opposite.

GLWS.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Shocks are replaced at the 30K service? What?

Ok time out. There is Rennlist and lots of Rennlisters like riding low and replacing their suspension for ride and visuals.
But, a 30k service doesn't automatically include a shock replacement. Also, there are people who don't care what ride height they are at, and
wouldn't replace their shocks until they were leaking, riding low, squeaking....some other reason than Rennlisters like it.

I may be wrong here, but my gut says we are confusing facts with preference.

Originally Posted by il pirata
Well in fairness Tony it is riding at OEM height and your listing does not detail what maintenance has been done...I would assume a 1995 with 30K riding at factory height would need new shocks. If the shocks have been replaced, 30K service has been done, etc I would put that in the listing otherwise a lot of people will assume the opposite.

GLWS.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Shocks age even when not rolling down the road. If original they have 17/18 years on the fluids, valves, seals, bushings etc. Plus anything rubber down there is probably also in none optimal condition.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
DALLWA
Racer

I'm not disagreeing with the reasons for replacing them, age and potential wear sure. I'm just confused by the automatic assumption it would without checking them out first.

I remember when I did the PPI last Oct, I asked the quality of the shocks and was told excellent. But on here, it's treated like an automatic cost, sure thing. As a buyer, you should verify but unless your planning on lowering anyway...might as well factor it in.

Last edited by DALLWA; 08-14-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

This cab most likely will not fetch the big bucks because RB with grey top does not look right . I understand why none of the pictures in the ebay add shows car with top up .

Just my IMHO
I think the grey looks awesome. A little different than the other RB cabs I've seen. If you look at the ad, Tony shows a shot of the car with the top up (last photo).

If I was in the market for a Rivi Blue with a black top, I wouldn't flinch at this one. If the grey top bugs that much, replace it with black at some point. It'd be a lot cheaper than a full Rivi Blue respray of a silver/white/black/whatever car with a black top!

GLWS! I hope you get $120,400!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
DALLWA
Racer

I'm with you and thanks!

If someone doesn't buy the car because grey versus black top, doesn't sound like a cab is for them.

Top is down all summer and up in storage during winter.

Originally Posted by gonzilla
This cab most likely will not fetch the big bucks because RB with grey top does not look right . I understand why none of the pictures in the ebay add shows car with top up .

Just my IMHO
I think the grey looks awesome. A little different than the other RB cabs I've seen. If you look at the ad, Tony shows a shot of the car with the top up (last photo).

If I was in the market for a Rivi Blue with a black top, I wouldn't flinch at this one. If the grey top bugs that much, replace it with black at some point. It'd be a lot cheaper than a full Rivi Blue respray of a silver/white/black/whatever car with a black top!

GLWS! I hope you get $120,400!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Shocks age even when not rolling down the road. If original they have 17/18 years on the fluids, valves, seals, bushings etc. Plus anything rubber down there is probably also in none optimal condition.
Anyone put OE low mileage 993 shocks on a dyno? Serious question.

Only reference point is the complete opposite on my 4S--125K @ 12 years old. Car behaved perfectly fine as a street car, and even on track with Hoosiers I'd basically run equal with any Cayman S on similar tires that was running around here at the time. Not the most pleasant laps, but not undriveable by any stretch.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not disagreeing with the reasons for replacing them, age and potential wear sure. I'm just confused by the automatic assumption it would without checking them out first.

I remember when I did the PPI last Oct, I asked the quality of the shocks and was told excellent. But on here, it's treated like an automatic cost, sure thing. As a buyer, you should verify but unless your planning on lowering anyway...might as well factor it in.
I've only done shocks on (2) 993's (both '97's), one w/ 60+k mi and the other w/ 30k mi. The 60k car (2) of the 4 shocks, after I took them off I turned them over and they collapsed on their own weight, the other 2 were almost as bad. On the 30k car 1 of the 4 shocks collapsed about 1/2 way, the other 3 took very little effort to collapse.

The original shocks are Monroe, crap (IMHO) on these cars. Best way to tell (w/out removing the shocks) is to look around the top of the shock for any signs of leakage, it may be fresh or may be dry but should be visible.

Most of us just don't like the ride height these things are set at from the factory, some need it due to road conditions. Unfortunately the only way to lower them is to replace the shocks. YMMV

GLWS
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Unfortunately the only way to lower them is to replace the shocks.
Shocks (or more correctly dampers) have nothing to do with ride height on these cars. (Yes, we can get into the extreme minority of situations where shaft length needs to be modified to get a desired result.)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done listing ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...c9b8c1d3#v4-42

Attached Images   
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata

GLWS.

Ok time out. There is Rennlist and lots of Rennlisters like riding low and replacing their suspension for ride and visuals.
But, a 30k service doesn't automatically include a shock replacement. Also, there are people who don't care what ride height they are at, and
wouldn't replace their shocks until they were leaking, riding low, squeaking....some other reason than Rennlisters like it.

geez...Use a comma to separate the elements in a series...I was not implying shocks where part of a 30K service
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

Quick Reply: Freak Out Alert: Riviera Blue Cab on Ebay