Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why does Porsche do things the cheap way in the new cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Why does Porsche do things the cheap way in the new cars?

I got to thinking about buying a 2013 Cayman because I like the mid-engine concept and it would make a nice daily driver.

I wouldn't sell my 993 though

So I looked at Boxster options thinking the next Cayman would be the same.

I hadn't looked at how for example the PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management works and found it does not use Magnetorheologic dampers like Ferrari, Audi, Corvette, etc. but uses the old time motor adjusted dampers for $1790. To me this is unthinkable.

Then, they have something called PTV = Porsche Torque Vectoring. This is the most mickey mouse system I can imagine. To distribute differential torque to the loaded wheel they actually clamp the brake on the unloaded wheel. Wow, what junk in my opinion for $1320.

Ferrari and Audi to it the right way, with an electronic differential as pictured below. Ferrari even uses one like it in their F1 cars. Audi charges $1250 for the beautiful piece below. High pressure clutches vary differential lock continuously.

I guess this figures since Ferdinand Piech (member of Porsche family and father of the 906,908,917 etc.) is at Audi.

Forget the Cayman idea.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Easy answer - to make more MONEY.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
billqj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since Wiedeking took over as top exec at Porsche it has been lower quality and higher prices. Prime example: the 996 which brought in the M96 engine and lots of plastic in the interior. And there has been no turning back since the late 1990s. It made Porsche the most profitable car maker in the world at one point. Is that a positive for the long time enthusiast and and buyer of the marque? To me, the answer is obvious.......NO!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about driving the car and then deciding.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Car companies, all of them, are wise to the fact that it doesn't serve their purposes to make cars built to last. Nowadays, they only make cars built to last....through the warranty period.

Profit over anything/everything else. That's our modern society, alas.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironically someone at work bought a brand new 2012 Panamera and they were fuming about car in dealer 3 times for rack and pinion issues. Supossedly Porsche gave them 10 grand in credit for their next PCar
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Then, they have something called PTV = Porsche Torque Vectoring. This is the most mickey mouse system I can imagine. To distribute differential torque to the loaded wheel they actually clamp the brake on the unloaded wheel. Wow, what junk in my opinion for $1320.

993 option M220 which includes ABD works the same way

You could always select the lsd option, though I hear it's not the most robust lsd out there
Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

What car maker hasn't made compromises in materials, etc?

I'd like to see the reliability of Porsche's various systems vs any of the electronic versions before I made my decision.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Greed is what will put an end to the human race and quality cars.. everyone wants more more more and they give less back. I think it's simple math and no one should be surprised. What happened with being happy with sustainability? We are taught that making the same YoY is BAD and only growth is acceptable.. sustaining and becoming more efficient is sooooo yesterday!

phil.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My shareholders expect YoY growth and a dividend. Just as I do with the companies I hold stock in. It's a delicate balance. If the majority of my buyers have no idea what PASM or PTV is or why they would need it to get to their country club and back in their 991 it's nothing more than a business decision.

Vote with your feet. If the majority speaks and Porsche discovers lost sales we will get Magnetorheologic dampers. Until then they will show YoY growth and pay a dividend.

I'm not disagreeing with you but have learned that emotion ends at the boardroom door.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

There is also something to be said for simplicity. Audi is the prime example. They make great wiz bang things. However, they fail, fail hard, & cost a ton to fix.

I bet that diff cost more as a replacement part then an option. Porsche design, while being less elegant, is just as effective, costing less to make, setup & maintain. Plus it's lighter, there are no light Audi's!

But agreed, some places they need to pony up, & offer better then the competition.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 AM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
993 option M220 which includes ABD works the same way

You could always select the lsd option, though I hear it's not the most robust lsd out there
Yep, PTV looks like it's basically the old ABD, which I think is pretty useless. Gimmicks are part of the game now. You have to offer more acronyms than the next guy to sell cars these days.

They just don't make them like they used to, but they simply can't. It's a different world now and complaining about it is just a sign that I'm getting old lol.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
My shareholders expect YoY growth and a dividend. Just as I do with the companies I hold stock in. It's a delicate balance. If the majority of my buyers have no idea what PASM or PTV is or why they would need it to get to their country club and back in their 991 it's nothing more than a business decision.

Vote with your feet. If the majority speaks and Porsche discovers lost sales we will get Magnetorheologic dampers. Until then they will show YoY growth and pay a dividend.

I'm not disagreeing with you but have learned that emotion ends at the boardroom door.
Amen.

Also, in all fairness, Porsche does make a 911 for the serious enthusiast who knows the difference between marketing hype and real quality -- the GT3.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are suckers that will buy all these expensive options. let them buy those loaded 991 and 981s. it's their money

nothing wrong with 996 actually. the 2002+ 911s are actually well built with few issues (RMS, IMS, coolant expansion tank). they are really affordable compared to 993s and new 991s. best value for a 911.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy solution - Buy a Cayman / Boxster without the gimmicks. I've had several new and older Porsches and I don't like the whole PASM concept at all. My 987 Boxster had a "standard" suspension and it was great. So don't write-off a modern Porsche just because you can buy things like PASM and PTV, try both and decide and you'll probably be just as happy without.

Quick Reply: Why does Porsche do things the cheap way in the new cars?