First Test: FDM 200 cell sport cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by FD Motorsports
UPDATE Fister Stage IIIs w/200 cell sport cats

My driving impresssions: I picked up MarkD on Saturday morning and we headed out to our desolate test track.

Inside the car: no droning at all, really surprisingly mild in the cabin. At 3K you definitely get a bit of rumble in the cabin which was not present with the stock cats. Press down on the accelerator, even a little aggressively, and you definitely can tell there is more sound behind you. At hard acceleration, you get a nice raspy open exhaust sound inside the car. A bit different then just Stage IIIs alone. The car also seemed to still pull very hard.

Outside the car: I had Mark do a couple of high RPM passes and a dead start pull away......OMG....these babies are loud. I mean race car loud! From a dead start he took it to redline thru 3rd gear. By now he was a pretty good distance away from where I was standing (directly behind the car), and then he downshifted into second....even at that distance, it was still loud. It sounded like an all out race car. The pops and burbles that this high flow exhaust creates are intoxicating.
When Mark came back to pick me up, he couldn't stop smiling Did I mention it's loud.....cause it's loud!
I will shoot some video of this combo in action soon and will also test them with Stage IIs and Stage Is and will do some comparison videos with them.
The one word I would use to describe this Stage III/Sport at combo is vicious!

The Sport Cats will be priced at $1450 when they are released exclusively thru FDM.

well, a few of my neighbors don't speak to me as often now that I put the Stage lll's on. If I get the 200 Sport cats, maybe they'll stop talking to me entirely?

Mod money well spent then!

The rennlist version of that old saying..."fences make for good neighbors"...Stage lll's & Sport Cats make for quiet neighbors"
Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any chance you guys will get a test going w/ Stage IIs?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
well, a few of my neighbors don't speak to me as often now that I put the Stage lll's on. If I get the 200 Sport cats, maybe they'll stop talking to me entirely?

Mod money well spent then!

The rennlist version of that old saying..."fences make for good neighbors"...Stage lll's & Sport Cats make for quiet neighbors"
Yes, this not a neighbor friendly set up

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Any chance you guys will get a test going w/ Stage IIs?
Yes, as I posted we will switch out the mufflers with II's and I's and maybe even some stockers just to see the differences. I will try to shoot video of all set ups for comparison.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Apologize for not reading your full post... I am giddy like a school girl for this set up. Been playing your sound clip to my fiance for the past day followed by "You really think this is too loud?". She'll cave.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the wife will know what to get me for our anniversary - will this setup be ready by October

Andy
Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
the wife will know what to get me for our anniversary - will this setup be ready by October

Andy
Nothing like getting a gift you can both share...... win-win IMO
Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM
ETW
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will this be available for purchase?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ +1 Cash in hand.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+993
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

We are currently taking orders via our email: fdmotorsports@comcast.net
The product is not up on our website yet, so direct email will work. We need to know the year of your car and what cat you currently have, Bischoff or Gillet. We are also working on pricing for ceramic coating.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Anxiously waiting to hear how loud with stage 2. If less than stage 3 (with cat) Im probably in.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

You guys do any dyno testing on these things?

From what i've seen, exhaust parts add very little power on 911s, so I'm curious if these add any tq or hp.

thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any plans to Dyno before and after with Stage I/II/III to determine what if any gain (or moreover loss)?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
^^ +1 Cash in hand.
Originally Posted by CarreraX
Anxiouslt waiting to hear how loud with stage 2. If less than stage 3 (with cat) Im probably in.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You guys do any dyno testing on these things?

From what i've seen, exhaust parts add very little power on 911s, so I'm curious if these add any tq or hp.

thanks.
Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Any plans to Dyno before and after with Stage I/II/III to determine what if any gain (or moreover loss)?
Very interested, as well. Just curious for more sound clips, weight savings, dyno sheets, ceramic pricing, etc.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:34 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Currently we are just road testing the cats. I agree that there is not a lot left on the table with the 993 exhaust for a stock engine, but at this point, our 993 cats are 14+ years old. Switching out to a nice higher-flowing "new" cat will probably be beneficial. They are also lighter as well, which is a plus.
If I get a chance to do any dyno testing in the future, I'm not sure how much stock can be put into it, since I will be replacing my 16 year old cat as a comparison. Gains can be attributed to the fact that you are replacing a very old cat with a new one.
Also note these are not x-pipes. They keep both exhaust banks seperate. I think this will be beneficial as the x-pipe was developed for the odd firing of most V8s. The H6 is an even firing engine, so it does not have 2 cylinders firing consecutively on the same side of the block like a V8, which creates a higher pressure condition on one side. The x-pipe was designed to allow some of that higher pressure to escape thru the other exhaust outlet, helping to lower the higher pressure condition. This does not occur on an H6 engine.

Quick Reply: First Test: FDM 200 cell sport cats