Just one of 337

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

You can easily distinguish a real 959 from a fake. The mirrors and wheels are unique to the 959.

The giveaways are the 993 headlights.
I think 1 of these is a fake. Looks like 993 headlights on the right, plus mirrors and wheels are a bit off

^^ Thanks to Boman993.com for the pic!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only ones I've seen have been at shows. Still waiting to see one 'in the wild'!
Years back, I spent ~3 months straight in Germany - my 1st time there.
En-route for a tour of the (old) Porsche museum + guided factory tour, I drove to Stuttgart, where 1 of my favorite Porsche memories occurred:

The 1st Porsche I saw on a public road in Stuttgart was a (white) 959!
I'd never seen 1 in person. It was a sign that I had entered 'car-guy heaven!'
Originally Posted by vaujot

Americans don't get to see them all that often (how many are stateside, about a handful?).

IIRC around thirty.
When I toured Bruce Canepa's facility, I was told the number of 959s in the US was ~41, & slowly growing as an occasional 'good buy' is found overseas & brought to the US.

8 were at Canepa's the day I took the following photograph, which has 4 in the frame.
Of the others, 1 was for sale. 3 were in storage for custumers, awaiting pick-up, or waiting to be prepped for sale.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
FastCarNut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993C4RS
the yellow tab on the left is a lever to open the left side filler door, which is for the ride height control. The right side opens the filler door for the oil tank. The round one on the (aluminum) bonnet is for fuel and the lever is in the same location as the 911. The 959S did not have the ride height adjustment, so no yellow lever. So I guess it's kinda right though, but the dipsticks are in the filler doors.
This is exactly right. Here are some pictures to illustrate the point. The fuel tank is filled through the hood, the round flap is opened with a pull on a **** inside, this **** is very similar to the one in a 993. The flaps for the hydraulic oil and motor oil are opened by pulling on the corresponding yellow tab.

To those who called me "Mr. FastCarNut" (Mister, really?): no need to be so formal. Just call me "Fast", all my friends do.
Attached Images      
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

^^^^^Feel free to post as many pics as you have. whole-car, details, EVERYTHING!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Fast... I loathe referrring to folks on forums by screen names - ginormous pet peeve of mine. So those get a "Mr." afront 8-).

I always encourage folks to include a name in their sigs - makes it more personal / personable to interact.

2nd on the suggestion for you to post-***** allllllllllllllllllllllll youuuuuuuuuuuuuu wannnnnnnnnnnt...

...yeahhhhhhh, that's gooooooooooooooood:

Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I toured Bruce Canepa's facility...curve lover
Jager:

I read recently that Canepa had been able to sort out some of the engineering issues with the car, but I can't remember the specifics...

I had the car flat bedded to my local Porsche dealership...FastCarNut
They must have run for cover when they saw that come in....

Great post.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche issued a tech bulletin issued in the early '90s listing a phone number to call if anyone requested service on a 959 in the US. I suspected it was to catch illegal importation, but I don't know why Porsche would care.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Jager:

I read recently that Canepa had been able to sort out some of the engineering issues with the car, but I can't remember the specifics...
When I was there I was told that they replace the turbo's (more power/smog compliant) and the heavy 'problem prone' self leveling suspension systems as part of their normal process ...
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPP
When I was there I was told that they replace the turbo's (more power/smog compliant) and the heavy 'problem prone' self leveling suspension systems as part of their normal process ...
As I understand it, Canepa replaces the sequential turbos with twin turbos, which changes the driving dynamics, but increases overall power quite a bit, and of course, they are emissions compliant.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM
FastCarNut
Advanced

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
As I understand it, Canepa replaces the sequential turbos with twin turbos, which changes the driving dynamics, but increases overall power quite a bit, and of course, they are emissions compliant.
There were those who, back in the 1970s when the 356 Carrera 2 was just another old Porsche, thought of the 4-cam engines as "very troublesome" and "difficult to keep going". Their answer? Yank out the offensive lump of metal and replace it with a "bullet-proof" push-rod unit. Dump the original in a landfill. In our enlightened days this is regarded as butchery even tough it could have easily been seen as an improvement back in the day.

I would not be surprised if Canepa's "improvements" will be considered "ham fisted butchery" at some point in the (near) future...

I would like to end this post on a positive note by posting a picture of my 959, taken at yet another C&C event (Fuelfed). This one was taken with an old-style camera; one that uses film!
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCarNut
There were those who, back in the 1970s when the 356 Carrera 2 was just another old Porsche, thought of the 4-cam engines as "very troublesome" and "difficult to keep going". Their answer? Yank out the offensive lump of metal and replace it with a "bullet-proof" push-rod unit. Dump the original in a landfill. In our enlightened days this is regarded as butchery even tough it could have easily been seen as an improvement back in the day.

I would not be surprised if Canepa's "improvements" will be considered "ham fisted butchery" at some point in the (near) future...

I would like to end this post on a positive note by posting a picture of my 959, taken at yet another C&C event. This one was taken with an old-style camera; one that uses film!
Nothing like seeing silver oxide flakes melted on celluloid, it's magic.
So, yes, I would agree absolutely with your observations. I suspect the stock systems that are removed from these cars will be hotly sought after by restorers in a few years and just like the 4-cam motors of the past, will command extreme prices for the privilege. Maybe we should organize a dumpster dive at Canepa's shop soon and get 'in' on the ground floor ..
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Leon993
Racer

Noteworthy Porsche history no doubt, but such a strange design.

It seems like the wing doesn't even provide downforce, looks cosmetic.

And those vaginal opening side air-intake vents are weird. But hey, amazing car with 993 DNA!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

The wing may actually be there to reduce drag, however there is a small lip on the engine lid under the wing to provide some amount of downforce.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

Fast,

What a fantastic car and story to go with it! Keep driving and please keep us posted on your experiences.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast,

Your post of the buying process was awesome. I was glued to my computer (at work) and a co-worker walked by my office, came back, stuck her head in and said "What are you so intense on?"

I think your post just pushed out my #1 all time post (the post from a Lister' that took a pic of Jerry Sinfield driving a 993 on the 405). Sorry Jerry you are #2 now.

Way cool.

Quick Reply: Just one of 337