Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just one of 337

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would estimate between 15 and 20 in the US. There are undoubtedly a couple in Canadia as well.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Just saw this.......wow.
Man, you ARE late! .. where have you been all summer? BTW .. here's an engine bay shot of the 959 at the Porsche Museum. We had a guide last time that let us come up on the diaz and open all the doors/hoods and really check it out
Our guide told us those yellow 'tabs' you see on either side of the engine are the 'dipsticks' for measuring engine oil and suspension oil levels ....
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oddly enough the left yellow tab does not appear underhood of this Turbo S (circa former Drendel Collection) - I esp enjoy the 'gold' underhood treatment... gives a NASAesque element to the presentation:

less than 900mi... <<<insert Homer-drool-sequence>>>:

just damn:

this is one of those cars that made me feel all sorta funny 'down there':

sigh...

I know the styling is polarizing for some - me, I feel it is the most sexayestest 911-derivitve EVER... the paragon of 911'dom... SERENITY NOW!

I could look at these cars infinitely, xPi. Lucky folks who own / have driven them. I've resigned mysef that this is as close as I'll ever get...
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by GT9111
nice. its a "free loaner car" too!
Well played.

OP - So did you see Bill Gates in the waiting room?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Strange. I don't think it is a real 959. Why is the gas tank on the passanger's side?? All the 959 pictures I have, show the gas tank on the driver's side.

EDIT- well, I am wrong. My own pictures show a filler on both sides. Sorry. Didn't realize this till now.

Maybe the black 959 is Bill Gate's or Paul Allen's car????
You can easily distinguish a real 959 from a fake. The mirrors and wheels are both unique to the 959.

Here is a "fake" one. Notice some of the differences?:
Everything is off. The giveaways are the 951 turnsignals and 993 headlights.

I am still waiting for the day a guy shows up to a PCA DE event with a 959. That would really make my day.
Me too! I have seen a CGT at a DE event though.

Originally Posted by vaujot
Odd circumstance. I saw it yesterday at the Frankfurt Klassikstadt. Didn't have a pricetag on it. I was going to post it since you Americans don't get to see them all that often (how many are stateside, about a handful?).
Before Canepa started federalizing them, there was an estimated four or five. There are many more now. Canepa made a guess in one of their articles, IIRC around thirty.

The only ones I've seen have been at shows. Still waiting to see one 'in the wild'!

Take care!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky

One of 29 US Sport models, different from the small handful of ROW Sport models in having a rollcage (leather padded), power windows (the cage would block the manual window winders of the ROW Sport), cutouts for the 4-point harness in the sport seats, and fixed height suspension with regular shocks (ROW Sports were also fixed height but retained the adjustable shocks of the Comfort model). Porsche tried to import them as "race cars" in 1988 and failed. Cars were returned to Europe and sold. There was a story in Autoweek at the time that featured several pictures of the batch of 29 in a fenced compound Stateside.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Yes .. Gates car was in that compound. Porsche got into a hissy fight with D.O.T. over crash testing and Gates offered to create software that would simulate an actual crash test to satisfy the D.O.T. ... and we all know who won that fight. All those cars were sent back to Germany but interestingly .. there were several sightings of a Red car (Allen's) and Silver car (Gates) around Seattle at various times sporting Canadian plates ... heh ....
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

^^^^^I thought both Gate's and Allen's cars were the standard Comfort model?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Before Canepa started federalizing them, there was an estimated four or five. There are many more now. Canepa made a guess in one of their articles, IIRC around thirty.

The only ones I've seen have been at shows. Still waiting to see one 'in the wild'!
I know of at least 3 in the LA area. I'll try to dig up photos and post them here when I find them.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^^^I thought both Gate's and Allen's cars were the standard Comfort model?
Could be Tim .. but the compound in the article is where all inbound 959's were being held hostage .. same place that SpeedArena came through in Oakland. It's like an embassy .. not considered U.S. 'Soil' until you exit the gate .. and you only exit the gate when they tell you it's ok to exit the gate ..
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Could be Tim .. but the compound in the article is where all inbound 959's were being held hostage .. same place that SpeedArena came through in Oakland. It's like an embassy .. not considered U.S. 'Soil' until you exit the gate .. and you only exit the gate when they tell you it's ok to exit the gate ..
Just doing some research JP and it looks to me like the "Microsoft 959s" were imported (and subsequently held up) later than the "US Sport" 959s. The US Sport 959s appeared to end up at Al Holbert's shop sometime during 1988 (well at least 8 of the 29 produced). After being inspected, they were then returned to Germany. The 2 Microsoft 959s were indeed brought in through Oakland in the very early 1990s where they stayed for quite some time.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a car that I saw at a C&C in Lake Mills, WI in 2011. It was gone before I had a chance to talk to the owner but apparently he had it for a while in Germany and had recently brought it over.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

These where a couple of the cars at Canepa in September, there were a few more 959's that I didn't take pictures of.

Edit: Found one more...

Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 AM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

A couple of poor quality cell pics from last month...
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Just doing some research JP and it looks to me like the "Microsoft 959s" were imported (and subsequently held up) later than the "US Sport" 959s. The US Sport 959s appeared to end up at Al Holbert's shop sometime during 1988 (well at least 8 of the 29 produced). After being inspected, they were then returned to Germany. The 2 Microsoft 959s were indeed brought in through Oakland in the very early 1990s where they stayed for quite some time.
edit to my use of 'formerly' Drendel Collection - I don't recall seeing this one on the 2012 Amelia Island results

I shot those in NC (USA) 3yrs back, seems they all didn't get punted. It's prob still there. Good for Matt's father...

the smell of of those rough textured Sport seats... intoxxxxxxxxxxxication ahhhhhhhhhhh...

Last edited by pkrasusky; 12-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Just one of 337