Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My 993 brethren, my faith is being sorely tested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be brave, it will pass...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KLSpeed27
Be brave, it will pass...
+1
Well said

Think long term Ed
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I do not remember your alternator problem - what is causing the issue that is repeating?

Not to compare, but you are having minor problems - I spent 18 months fighting Porsche to replace my Targa roof while the car was off the road, then did a total engine rebuild due to valve guide wear, replaced tons of parts, had the car painted end to end, had an accident that took the car off the road for 6 months because Porsche did not stock a part so I had to wait for enough orders worldwide for them to do a manufacturing run, and overall I spent about twice what the car is worth.

So what were my choices?

1 - Get another car, not Porsche. Believe me, that thought crossed my mind- I looked at Cooper S Works, STI's, a few others - but nothing compared to Porsche and the 993 series. I just love the cars and the community that goes with it.

2 - Declare the car a lemon, and sell it. Well, its weird, when the car was down or just screwing with me, I wanted to sell it - when it was fixed then I thought, gee with so much $$$ and time in this car, why sell - then it would break again. At the end, I had a talk with the car, and I told it if it screwed with me again in the next month, I am selling her - and she burped the roof system at week two so I sold her - NO regrets.

3 - Fix the car. This was my default mode, and you have to watch the patterns to see if the car is now a lemon (or Christine).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

My alternator is original and has 258,000+ miles.
In my 4Runner.

Good luck getting the issues sorted - these cars are worth it.

Andreas
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 226 Posts

Ed I'll trade you my fuel tank woes...my car reeks of fuel on the inside. My wife won't even sit in "the Porsche" unless I get it fixed.

Just be thankful that you aren't spending $1k just to replace a fuel tank that shouldn't need replacing!!!

Hang in there...
Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

We are seeing some bearing issues with Bosch-rebuilt alternators,...............

I may need to look into a better quality bearing than they are providing and do these here to control QC.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the night is darkest before dawn...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the owner of a gorgeous Diablo pull up next to me and give bow down to my niner. This sort of admiration happens almost every time I take it out. Take it to a good shop and work out the alternator problem. I just did similar for distributor which cost me a pretty penny but I have the backing of a good shop in case it goes bad again. Also you own a car that is rare and can be customized in so many ways to give you exactly what you're looking for without loosing any or little value and even gaining all as long as you keep mods within standards true to heritage. Another good reason to keep is you have the backing of a community of die hard loyalist around the world to help you. There are guys here that can tell you every nut and bolt on these cars.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Ed,

Is the alt. issue electrical or mechanical? If the issue is a recurring electrical, I have been told the battery to body ground strapcan cause issues. Over time it will lose a good connection to the frame. I replace mine and a lot of gremlins disappeared.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
We are seeing some bearing issues with Bosch-rebuilt alternators,...............

I may need to look into a better quality bearing than they are providing and do these here to control QC.
It may be the quality of the bearing, but it may also be improper bearing installation techniques. You'd be amazed how some bearings are handled.

Then you also have the owner or shop that does not have that extra one or two pulley shims that they should have on hand resulting in excessive belt tension. The old calibrated thumb doesn't help either.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 PM
tctung
Instructor

I marry my wife because I am sure (1) I love her, (2) I can grow old with her and (3) we can live happily everafter. However, question is I am only human. Now she is 28 and hot hot hot. When she turns 82, would she still be this hot hot hot to the beholder me? Answer is maybe not 100 but I must at least now foresee 70 to 80.

A good woman has the kind of charm that does not fade with time. So's a good car. A 993? Yes yes yes. A Civic? No no no.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

This sounds like we need to go up north and do another drive.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Of course it will be some custom germany-bosch-only bearing no longer available except for secret sources in german beer houses.....
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Breathe through it, Ed.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

hey man, if you've reached the end of your rope, sell it, try something else for a while, and then come back if you need to. They made enough of these things that you'll always find another.

If its just frustration talking, it will pass, but if you begin to resent the car for the repair costs, its not worth it to keep it.

After all, its just a car.

Quick Reply: My 993 brethren, my faith is being sorely tested.