SF Bay Area market check - 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SF Bay Area market check - 993

Hi,

Giving some thought to selling my early 1995 polar silver six speed coupe. This 993 is basically stock and garaged. I'm not driving it very often, about once a month now. The car has grey and blue leather interior and needs tires.

What would be a good marketing strategy and price point? Should the leaky windshield washer tank be fixed before offering for sale, new tires, detailed?

I bought this car in Georgia and drove across country over five years ago, after checking VINs on more cars than I care to remember. The point here is there's no accidents, etc.

I have put this on Craigslist before, then pulled it, now that my Cessna engine is getting overhauled, there's more motivation.

Even considering RL member ship and posting here. Alternatively, is waiting for a big market correction a good idea?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

P/M sent.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Mileage, maintenance and mod's .. knowing all of that detail is going to drive the price. Do you have any recent pictures inside and out to post here?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 PM
captain satellite
Advanced

No mods, mileage less than 80k, 60 k service by Metric Motors in San Francisco. Have original books and records of services by previous owners. This car is too complicated for me to work on comfortably. Prior to my five year owner ship, service mostly at Porsche dealer and independents in the Atlanta area.

KBB gives at 29k high price. Car had 10k in factory options wheels, 10 speakers, leather, rootwood, remote CD, etc.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd say pony up for a membership at this point. This could be considered working a loophole by getting a feeler out and receiving PM's. Rules are rules.

What "market correction" are you expecting? The stock market? If so, I'd sell now.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd say pony up for a membership at this point. This could be considered working a loophole by getting a feeler out and receiving PM's. Rules are rules.

What "market correction" are you expecting? The stock market? If so, I'd sell now.
+1
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 AM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I also agree with Ed...
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

A new member is born...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by captain satellite
No mods, mileage less than 80k, 60 k service by Metric Motors in San Francisco. Have original books and records of services by previous owners. This car is too complicated for me to work on comfortably. Prior to my five year owner ship, service mostly at Porsche dealer and independents in the Atlanta area.

KBB gives at 29k high price. Car had 10k in factory options wheels, 10 speakers, leather, rootwood, remote CD, etc.
Ok .. so I'd say KBB is smack on the button at $29K .. I'd probably price it in today's market at $30/31K for wiggle room for tires etc. and have anything that needs attention taken care of so it doesn't come up in a PPI.
BTW .. how is Metric Motors? I'm familiar with 'The Stable' up off Franklin, in the City but not that place. Are they passionate, friendly, accurate, reasonable, above average ... any outstanding services like free rentals or shuttle pick-up/drop-off?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM
WANGWANG167
Intermediate

pm sent =)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

Default Metric Motors

I found Charles at Metric Motors to really know PCars, in particular the 993. For example, I had all the belts replaced and he wanted to put an upgrade on the pulleys that makes installing and running the belts correctly.

He also changed my two distributor caps and a few other things like the spoiler dam that i was unaware needed replacement.

Metric came thru when a relay issue caused ABS to go wild and two other shops couldn't fix. He used his laptop (durametric) when the Bosch hammer or the Porsche dealer software couldn't get into the system and experience to correctly diagnose the issue, and the owner/manager was a able to locate the correct (large) R68 which comes from the 94 model as this is a really early 95, built in March 94.

Oh, I was pleased to get my car hand washed when picked it up from service.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^Nice! Thanks for the info .. always adding to my resource folder .. :-P

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area market check - 993