Sponsored by:

HID Headlights and Other Lighting Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HID Headlights and Other Lighting Upgrades

I went to Huntington Beach recently to pick up a DDM HID kit, 35w, H1, 5000K. While there I decided to also pick up LEDs for the running, interior, and license plate lights. (5445 Oceanus Dr. Ste 105 Huntington Beach, CA 92649 (714) 901-5080)

Invoice was as follows:
2 BA9s LED, 1 x 1 LED, White: Running lights (those little guys next to the fogs).
1 DDM HID Kit: Headlights
2 39mm x 11mm Festoon bulb, 3 x 5050 LED White: Can't remember if these were for the rear license plate or interior.
2 44mm Ridged Loop Festoon, 9 x SMD, White: Ditto, can't remember if these were for the rear license plate or interior.

Headlights: I simply followed Boman's detailed advice on how to install the HID kit here: http://boman993.com/diy-hid-headlights/

Side note: I did NOT have to use a dremel or file, the bulb snugly slid right in.

License plate lights: Phillips screwdriver is all that's required, very easy to do.

Interior: Be careful, the trick is to use a business card or credit car and slide it under the rear of the black rim. Use a small flat-head to pop the unit out and slowly work it until it's free. It pops right back in when you're done replacing the bulb.

Running lights: My advice is not to use a wrench, use a socket nut screwdriver tool to take off the bumperettes. 8mm is the size you need. You also need to reverse install the part once you replace the bulb, which requires you to shave off the 2 guides. I used a pocket knife.

Onto the pics:
(without running light upgrade)

(removing right bumperette)

(right side installed)

(left side before LED)

(both)

(front view, fog lights off)

(from an angle, fog lights still off)

(interior LED, can't see much although the best way to describe it is a cool light, not warm)

(rear)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

good stuff, i did very similar except i installed turbo s ducts
that had 37w projectors from ma shaw.
the small led changes are nice quality-of-life mods
that keep the car looking contemporary.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure what you mean about the bumperette removal-an 8mm socket is all you can get in there, I don't think you could possibly get a wrench to grab the nut.

Here is my recent comparison on Sylvania Ultrastar bulbs in the fogs. Post 12:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-this-kit.html
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

i think I am going to do this to my car; however, I can't find the running lights LED you mentioned above on their site....do you have a link by chance?

TIA
Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually removed the city lights (small bulbs) within the fog light housing, much cleaner appearance.

Unless they are perfectly matched to your HIDs, you will have 3 different colors tones at night.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
I actually removed the city lights (small bulbs) within the fog light housing, much cleaner appearance.

Unless they are perfectly matched to your HIDs, you will have 3 different colors tones at night.
Knight, which HIDs did you go with? It looks very clean!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Halcyon
Racer

I did some $30 HID 5000k from ebay, but had to replace one of the ballast in a week , after that it seems to be okay. I get paranoid that one side won't turn on or something so I double check if both sides are on before I start moving haha, I guess that's what I get for $30.
I also did the LED running light and trunk light, but didn't do the interior( i did buy the bulbs though) because I find the new led to be too cool for my taste.
Now seeing Knight's led-running-light-less front, its beautiful. I thought LED was a great improvement already, but didn't think removing it would be that much better looking. The question is (probably silly to you guys as I'm not familiar with 993 electricals ) , but does that confuse the fuse or something, or is everything else on a different circuit.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I sure would never want to do any mod that makes my license plate more visible to the police and/or their cameras
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawgdriver
Knight, which HIDs did you go with? It looks very clean!
Hi Hawg - My car came with the factory HIDs, however recently I changed the bulbs to Super Vision HID headlamp D2S 6000K - cool white.

These were available locally from ROTtec, who's been actively supplying 997s with upgraded lighting. HID headlamps were designed/chosen to complement their LED DRL/interior kit.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...more-mods.html

Halcyon - I've been running no city lights for quite some time now, no issues at all.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't like the rear light overspill the LED creates. Looks too much like ricer ground effects.....
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Originally Posted by jago
good stuff, i did very similar except i installed turbo s ducts
that had 37w projectors from ma shaw.
the small led changes are nice quality-of-life mods
that keep the car looking contemporary.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not sure what you mean about the bumperette removal-an 8mm socket is all you can get in there, I don't think you could possibly get a wrench to grab the nut.

Here is my recent comparison on Sylvania Ultrastar bulbs in the fogs. Post 12:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-this-kit.html
I mean I recommend using this as opposed to this

Originally Posted by skl2
i think I am going to do this to my car; however, I can't find the running lights LED you mentioned above on their site....do you have a link by chance?

TIA
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BA9S-LED-Hi-Power

Originally Posted by Knight

Good point, I was toying with that initially and may do the same when I get tired of them. They were only a few bucks so I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I like them.

Originally Posted by Halcyon
The question is (probably silly to you guys as I'm not familiar with 993 electricals ) , but does that confuse the fuse or something, or is everything else on a different circuit.
Knight did you put anything into the socket when you removed the bulb?

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I sure would never want to do any mod that makes my license plate more visible to the police and/or their cameras
hahaha, true.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the LED's for the instruments plug-n-play? If so, would really like to get those. Anyone know which kind and how many of these are needed?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Cluster-Bulbs
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Originally Posted by NP993
Are the LED's for the instruments plug-n-play? If so, would really like to get those. Anyone know which kind and how many of these are needed?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Cluster-Bulbs
axl911 can help you.
See: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sh-lights.html and post #35 here https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-gauges-3.html
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

I'll take better pics. In the meantime, here's a one with the HID headlights, LED running lights, and stock fog lights all on
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Halcyon
... The question is (probably silly to you guys as I'm not familiar with 993 electricals ) , but does that confuse the fuse or something, or is everything else on a different circuit.
A fuse has no brain , it can't get "confused". It only blows if there is an overcurrent situation, typically a short circuit. I doubt the bulb is in series with anything, so just not installing it should have no effect.

Quick Reply: HID Headlights and Other Lighting Upgrades