Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fan making screech & chirping noise. New fan - $1000 plus labor? Other options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Fan making screech & chirping noise. New fan - $1000 plus labor? Other options?

Hi Guys,

So my fan for A/C, Heat and Fan Air has started making a chirping and screaching noise that makes driving the car a pretty awful experience. I brought it to my indie and he lubed it and cut a bit of it away as it was touching something on the car making the noise (so he thought). It's now sporadic. Sometimes it screeches, sometimes it doesn't. Usually though, after some time in the car it starts making the awful noise again. When I put the fan on the highest setting I never hear the noise. I hate this setting as it's SO loud so I can't really stand it on for too long.

Indie says the fan motor is about $1000 plus labor to put it in. No, I'm not doing this myself. I wash my car and put oil (and now power steering fluid) in it. That's it. Sucks to have to pay so much money to get rid of this noise. I asked if they could get a remanufactured or rebuilt one for a lot less and they said they couldn't find one so it has to be new.

Is this pretty much my only option? If so, I might just live with it like this for a bit more till it absolutely drives me insane, crazy, demented. Wait a minute, I think I was already there 2 weeks ago...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, you were there two weeks ago

Sorry, aside from my bad jokes, I can't offer much on this subject.

I cannot wait to see the novel you pen when it's time for a top-end rebuild...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yes, you were there two weeks ago

Sorry, aside from my bad jokes, I can't offer much on this subject.

I cannot wait to see the novel you pen when it's time for a top-end rebuild...
The top end rebuild post will probably just be boiled down to this

or:

"For Sale: Beautiful 96 C4S needing a top end rebuild"
Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
The top end rebuild post will probably just be boiled down to this

or:

"For Sale: Beautiful 96 C4S needing a top end rebuild"
Y u need a top end job?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Y u need a top end job?
You talkin' to me?

No, I don't need a top end job...

sr
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which fan is bad? The one on the engine or the one behind the dash? If it's the one on the engine, I've got one laying around from my car (removed with low miles) that I'd be happy to part with for cheap, and I'm local. Hell, I'll even help you put it on (easy job).
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NP993
Which fan is bad? The one on the engine or the one behind the dash? If it's the one on the engine, I've got one laying around from my car (removed with low miles) that I'd be happy to part with for cheap, and I'm local. Hell, I'll even help you put it on (easy job).
It must be the one behind the dash as that's where I'm hearing the noise. When I turn on the fan it starts making the noise after a while. When I turn it off it stops. When I turn it up to the highest setting (very noisy) there is no screeching noise.

No, I can't keep it always on the highest setting as it's noisy as hell in it's own right.

Very kind offer you've made, though!!! Wish the fan motor you had was the one behind the dash. Maybe I need to do a "Wanted to buy" post for that...

Steve
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

There are two fan motors so it is the one in the front trunk or the rear? The bearings on both fans can dry out after a while and then you can get squealing noises - you can lube them up after a bit of disassembly.

$1000 is a rip - get the motor pulled and you can either find a used replacement, or have him take that one apart and grease it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
There are two fan motors so it is the one in the front trunk or the rear? The bearings on both fans can dry out after a while and then you can get squealing noises - you can lube them up after a bit of disassembly.

$1000 is a rip - get the motor pulled and you can either find a used replacement, or have him take that one apart and grease it.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll mention this to my indie, not the rip part but the other part. I think he did already take it apart and grease it thought but the chirp is still there.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve
I just replaced both of mine due to passenger side screaching and then seizing. They are very expensive as you see. If you want my drivers side blower fan, I am happy to let you have it cheap. If you can source the motor only on eBay or sunset, you can put in my passenger side fan and have both replaced in your car. I went through with this last 4 weeks and I wish I could have found used parts. Seems our heat this summer is knocking out our AC blower fans. P.M if you are game.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Steve,
My pass. side fan squeeled like a pig coming home from Hershey back in April. I lubed it up really good, and it has been quiet since. Did you see your indie do the work? What did he cut/trim in that area? BTW, how are the HIDs working?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Steve,
My pass. side fan squeeled like a pig coming home from Hershey back in April. I lubed it up really good, and it has been quiet since. Did you see your indie do the work? What did he cut/trim in that area? BTW, how are the HIDs working?
Hi,

I didn't see my indie do the work. He simply said he did it and when I got it back, I didn't hear the squealing like a pig for a couple or a few weeks but it came back with a vengeance. I don't know what he cut or trimmed.

The HID's have been AWESOME!

Originally Posted by kb
Steve
I just replaced both of mine due to passenger side screaching and then seizing. They are very expensive as you see. If you want my drivers side blower fan, I am happy to let you have it cheap. If you can source the motor only on eBay or sunset, you can put in my passenger side fan and have both replaced in your car. I went through with this last 4 weeks and I wish I could have found used parts. Seems our heat this summer is knocking out our AC blower fans. P.M if you are game.

Thanks for the offer. I'll run it by my indie. I don't know anything about this type of thing.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
He simply said he did it and when I got it back, I didn't hear the squealing like a pig for a couple or a few weeks but it came back with a vengeance.
Steve, since these Bosch fan motors are available separately, I might assume you can just replace the motor and re-install the original plastic fan.

I've seen them on-line for under $100.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

I found the email that my indie sent... this is the gist of it (see below). It's like a foreign language to me. "Commutators"? Is that a Communist Potato?

"Steve,
Understood. If its the engine compartment motor, that can be disconnected . If its the front blowers , which I think it is, they may need to be replaced. I did clean them with contact cleaner and lube. Unfortunately they just seem to be moving on the commutators.
It may be possible to remove them and repair them , but still some labor involved.
If someone is willing to help you out, why not?
Let me know"
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darrell Waltrip is my favorite commutator..

Quick Reply: Fan making screech & chirping noise. New fan - $1000 plus labor? Other options?