Sponsored by:

Air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Fabspeed intake + K&N... worst combo ever...
Actually, Fabspeed cover + stock paper is even worse. The cover can't properly hold the factory paper filter, so it gets sucked into the intake. Doh! Learned that the hard way.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Actually, Fabspeed cover + stock paper is even worse. The cover can't properly hold the factory paper filter, so it gets sucked into the intake. Doh! Learned that the hard way.
LOL! forgot about that! +1
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
K&N's are washable, cleanable, dryable, reoilable, just like newable.
You forgot terrible and horrible.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO CEL! WHOOT!!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

K&N's are washable, cleanable, dryable, reoilable, just like newable.
I'd question its ability to filter after X number of washings. It may or may not be doing so as it came out of the package on day one.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Think about it, what would you rather breathe through a reused hunk of oil soaked filter media or a clean set of paper pleats?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Awh, what's with all the hate'in with K&N, those poor people are even advertisers on here. Do I think the filter adds power to a stock 280 hp engine, no. But that style of filter is used in many applications. Pictured below is a 7000 hp diesel engine with oil impregnated air filter (It is under the dirty blue prefilter). That engine has just over 100,000 hrs on it, with its original air filter which get cleaned every 1000 hrs. I believe the issues with the K&N stem from improper cleaning and oiling, and perhaps fitment. Just saying.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awh, what's with all the hate'in with K&N, those poor people are even advertisers on here. Do I think the filter adds power to a stock 280 hp engine, no. But that style of filter is used in many applications. Pictured below is a 7000 hp diesel engine with oil impregnated air filter (It is under the dirty blue prefilter). That engine has just over 100,000 hrs on it, with its original air filter which get cleaned every 1000 hrs. I believe the issues with the K&N stem from improper cleaning and oiling, and perhaps fitment.

That engine burns heavy oil, so a bit more from the filter is not going to hurt,plus its unlikely to have a air flow meter with a platinum wire in it that gets the excess oil from the filter burnt on to it, which seems to be the problem if you use a oiled type filter on a 993
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by d ward
That engine burns heavy oil, so a bit more from the filter is not going to hurt,plus its unlikely to have a air flow meter with a platinum wire in it that gets the excess oil from the filter burnt on to it, which seems to be the problem if you use a oiled type filter on a 993
True, I was mainly referring to the number washings this filter has had and it is still in service. (I know it is not a K&N).
Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

notice it also has a pre-filter
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Fabspeed intake + K&N... worst combo ever...
also ordering the clip, good work, i was missing one of those...
Exactly the combo I have installed for the last 5 yrs 5k miles on my TT. Put it in before I found this site and all the advice against.

Knock on wood no probs do far but I prob wouldn't do it again if I had the choice.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to bring this back to life, but K&N's have been tested, retested, and tested again; and every time they fail to filter to the level of OEM paper pleats. Its been proven, reproven and proven again...They are less appropriate for motorcycles, just like they are less appropriate for cars.

But by all means...If your car came with one, that should be good enough reason to use a less than adequate part. Especially where air filters are concerned.

There are crappy oil filters on the market too. They should be used in tandem with the K&N's.

Last edited by nine9six; 04-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't apologize and thanks for bringing this back to life nine9six - I didn't realize there was so much hate for the K&N!

My new-to-me 993 came with the K&N. I have to say I have never had one before and thought and still thinking about switching to paper but bought the cleaning kit and have been happy with the K&N so far.

Just to play Devil's advocate and for discussion, I'll go to bat for the K&N (if only for 1 at bat ) -

One point not made here (unless I missed it) but the oil now comes in both an aerosol can or old style liquid form. I opted for the spray can and it is indeed easy to put on a very light coating.

I havn't read all the reviews or tests but I will as I make my decision. I can see how if you change/clean once a year the paper is going to win on a filtration battle as the oil dries up the K&N is going to become less effective. But if you compared only the first month or two with new paper vs freshly oiled K&N, I'm not sure the paper would win? Would it? It seems that in principle the oil coating is going to trap finer particles than paper alone, much like a DE pool filter is going to outfilter a cartridge filter because of the DE? One benefit of the K&N is you can clean it once a month or every other month if you wanted for minimal cost.

It is kind of telling though when a track guy speaks against them. If they did add a couple of HP and did filter better when freshly cleaned, then it seems all the track guys would run them and clean them before every event.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

There is simply no point to these filters unless you cant run a stocker for some reason.
but but but
the adverts say that K&N adds 53+ HP.....

and all the cool subies and integras use them
Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

My experience with K&N's on 993's (and 964's) is that they do not seal well at the perimeter as the OEM Mahle ones do and I see more dirt in the MAF area, throttle and intake manifold.

Flow-wise, they are the same until the OEM paper one is left in service too long thus, not performing as well as a clean K&N.

JMHO, but I'd recommend using the OEM Mahle one and changing it as often as local environmental conditions would suggest. The critical and expensive parts inside the engine will last a LOT longer. Leave the K&N's for race cars which get rebuilt every 100-200 hours.

Quick Reply: Air filter?