Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, belts in 30 minutes?

thats pretty impressive.
Hmm, really? That is about right if there are no hiccups (like stripped allen bolts), I usually do them in less than 45 min but have not raced to do it in less than 30 - have to try it.

Mind you, I have a stream of cars coming to the shop lately so I do get practice time.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you need new sunroof cables? I was getting slow performance, and squirted some HHS2000 down the cables and lubed the transmission as well. Major improvement.
Unfortunately, both cables are broken. The motor runs fine but the sunroof won't open.

I just spoke with another independent mechanic that I have used in the past and they are suggesting switching the belts over to the RS pulley set-up. Apparently, they convert around 90% of the 993's they work on to this set-up. They are quoting me $375 parts and labor to go this route. This price also includes replacing the belt sensor. Does anyone regret going the RS pulley route?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
not in me nature to try to impress, seriously...would you reckon' it should take longer ? maybe I am wrong
Meh, while I admit I've only done them on turbos, 30 minutes is cruising. I'd give the job at least 1.5 hours, if not 2. fiddling with the a/c compressor can be a pain.

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmm, really? That is about right if there are no hiccups (like stripped allen bolts), I usually do them in less than 45 min but have not raced to do it in less than 30 - have to try it.

Mind you, I have a stream of cars coming to the shop lately so I do get practice time.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike are these n/a or turbo cars. The engine on the turbo is further back, and you have to pull the IC, making the process a good bit trickier/longer.

Originally Posted by jhale
Unfortunately, both cables are broken. The motor runs fine but the sunroof won't open.

I just spoke with another independent mechanic that I have used in the past and they are suggesting switching the belts over to the RS pulley set-up. Apparently, they convert around 90% of the 993's they work on to this set-up. They are quoting me $375 parts and labor to go this route. This price also includes replacing the belt sensor. Does anyone regret going the RS pulley route?
I wouldn't go RS. yes, you go down to one belt, so you gain maybe 1 or 2hp, but you also drive the alternator a bit slower and are basically screwed if a belt snaps.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

30 minutes for the belts on a NA car sounds about right.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
i thought 30 minutes was pretty impressive too :-)
The man's a mechanical Savant. Read some previous posts .. Just sayin' ...
Old 06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jhale

I did the RS hub on my alternator. I don't think your guy will do the pulley as that requires the engine out and it is a BIG job.
I liked the one fewer belt while I was tracking my car. Now that the car is back to street only setup, I want to go back to the 3 belt system. Not a big deal, but I don't like the headlights dimming.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
RE: Geolab, The man's a mechanical Savant. Read some previous posts .. Just sayin' ...
+1 he is no doubt the 993 jedi knight. this dawned on me after reading his windshield thread. i suddenly felt my windscreen was no longer worthy....

Originally Posted by ilko
30 minutes for the belts on a NA car sounds about right.
ilko,
you are invited to my garage on July 7th, to do the belts, yes we will time you.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I wouldn't go RS. yes, you go down to one belt, so you gain maybe 1 or 2hp, but you also drive the alternator a bit slower and are basically screwed if a belt snaps.
i agree with Quadcammer about the RS change over vs basic pulley update that porsche recommends.

however, if one of the 3 belts break, wouldnt you suspect that it will take the other belts out with it? thereby making the RS set one more dependable... good discussion topic
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

- Oil change (both filters) - Oil $70 12 quarts Mobil-1 at Wall Mart takes about an hour to do in the driveway. Filters $30+/-
- Belts replaced (all of them) - Fan and Alternator belts $50 or so and 30 min to change. Power steering belt is a little tricky but can be done in place. Best to leave that belt until you have clutch or some other major service.
- A/C Ballast Replaced (A/C cycling on high) - not sure what is involved
- Sunroof cables replaced (both) - I replaced one of these on my old 930. 993 same design. I seem to recall that this took an hour or so to do in the driveway. I seem to recall the cable crimp on the end that runs in the track failed.
Prices seem high. You need to find an independent guy who is more economical to use or better yet get your hands dirty and engage in some car therapy in the driveway.
Labor rates should be in the $90 to $110 dollar range.
Andy :-)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belts and belt sensor from AutohausAZ around $100. 2 oil filter (large/small) + Brad Penn--12 quarts around $100.

Help from CarreraX--priceless

FYI: also paid an extra $100 to get the "updates" fan belt pulleys at $50/apiece. If you want to do this right, also pick up a 10mm XZN bit--also called a triple square bit cause that's what it is. I got mine from Sears for $30 that included 9 other pieces in varying sizes. You only need the 10mm to hold the alternator shaft fixed or you can do the redneck version (screw driver wrapped in cloth and jammed in the blades). Your call.

Good luck.

--Brian
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman

Help from CarreraX--priceless
Thanks Brian. Looking forward to doing all of this on your car soon!

Quick Reply: List of Repairs