Replaced rear decklid strut and now there is a gap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 AM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced rear decklid strut and now there is a gap

Hello all!

First of all, I did a lot of searching to see a similar thread but couldn't find one for a 993.

My rear decklid struts were not holding up anymore so I decided to replace them tonight. I only had enough time to replace the right one. I should mention that on the firewall side, the old strut was attached on the top hole. When I attached the new one I placed it on the lower hole for easier access next time. The same hole (lower) was used on the decklid side.

After all was said and done and I closed the hood I noticed that there is now a small gap on the right side close towards the back of it. I'm not sure if this is due to the strut being new and it still needs to adjust a bit OR if it is due to me replacing just one strut OR if it has to do with the holes that were used.

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Do you have a picture so that we can see exactly what you mean?

Tks

Berni
Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

The distance from the deckled mounting point to the fire wall mounting point is shorter to the "top hole" than to the "bottom hole".

I know this because a PO had installed the wrong part number on my car. I recently replaced them and I purchased correct part number. The correct part number on my car required me to mount the struts on the bottom hole. Perfect fit.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

The new strut is probably pushing up it's side a LOT more than the old strut on the other side, causing the deck lid to shift a little. Replace the other strut and let us know if that fixes the problem.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies! I took 2 quick pics this morning.

Blue TTop, so I guess in my case I need to re-install it again to the top hole? Since the bottom hole distance is longer, thus, pushing the decklid out a bit.

Jimbo 3, I hope so but I'm afraid if I install the other one in the same position both sides will stick out.

I will probably install the left strut in the same way and see how it looks. If there's going to be a gap on both sides I will know that the top hole is the correct one. Problem with that one is that the firewall is partially covering it on the right side and it is kind of a PITA to do anything there.
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting to see how this resolves itself as I will be doing the same in the coming week.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:16 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Eddie I think you misread and install in top hole would be worse from BlueTTop's explanation and my understanding as well. I just did both sides last week for the second time of my ownership. Luckily the first set lasted four years. this job is entirely a blind, by feel bit of work to get to those interior clips...what were those darn Germans thinking???

Since you did only 1 the setup is completely unbalanced now. First...do the other side...it's easier anyways. THEN worry about it...IF it's still an issue. My money is on it being a self fixing problem.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

I will re-attempt this tmrw and let you guys know...hopefully it will save someone time in the future
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

I replaced the left rear strut today, as well, and here are the results:

With the left strut installed, the gap becomes smaller (it's now about the thickness of a quarter). Whether the right strut is installed on the bottom or top hole on the firewall side makes no difference. Don't ask me how I know, apparently there's nothing better to do on a Saturday.

As far as I was able to see, the left rear strut only has 1 hole on each end. Either that or the firewall's sagging was too much in the way.

If I remove the right strut and only the left strut is installed, the right side has no gap when closing. However, the left side then develops a tiny gap (smaller than right currently has w/ both struts installed). Once again, don't ask me how I know.

I decided to leave both struts installed and just see how it goes. If it doesn't fix itself I might remove the right strut. H.H.Chinn you can PM me once you're ready to do yours b/c maybe by then they will have leveled out.

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say that you install TT struts or aftermarket "reinforced" ones, which are only designed to support heavy wings...

You shall get rid of them immediately as the pressure might damage something.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought 2 struts but after installing the right one, it was a PITA, I didn't put the left one on. It held the cover up just fine, so I thought I would save the left one. I had no issues with alignment.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, delay in my first post resulted in double post. Do not know how to delete.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elonash
I would say that you install TT struts or aftermarket "reinforced" ones, which are only designed to support heavy wings...

You shall get rid of them immediately as the pressure might damage something.
Definitely not aftermarket ones, they are OEM. I'll have to check the part #s to see if they are TT struts.

Originally Posted by ble2011
I bought 2 struts but after installing the right one, it was a PITA, I didn't put the left one on. It held the cover up just fine, so I thought I would save the left one. I had no issues with alignment.
If I leave only the right one on, I get a slightly bigger gap on the right side. If I leave only the left strut in, I get a very small gap on the left side. I think that is what I'll do in the end.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had an alignment problem, and yours looks way out of whack. It seems your deck lid is rotating left-right, which it shouldn't do. I would check for looseness in the hinges.

Quick Reply: Replaced rear decklid strut and now there is a gap