Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Window fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and Rear Window fitment

I have two issues regarding a new front windscreen and the reinstallation of the rear window -

1- The Front Windscreen- I have had a new windscreen fitted and there is a gap across the top and bottom of the windscreen and the internal rubber of about 15 mm (just over ½ inch), the left and right vertical sides of the internal rubber are touching the glass.
Is this normal fitment of a windscreen?
It was not like this before the new windscreen.

2-The Rear window- I had the rear window removed and refitted as there was an issue with the wiring, but now there is a gap all the way around between the glass and the internal rubber , the gap varies between 10mm and 15mm (about ½ inch).

Again is this normal of the re-fitment of a rear window?
I have looked at cars with replacement glass and it is the same (a gap), but original fitment of the factory the internal rubber sits against the glass all the way round.

Can anyone please advise their experience with a similar experience with re fitment or replacement of front and rear glass?
Should I speak to the company direct, that fitted the windows, as it was done through a panel shop?

Thanks,

Last edited by Neil Perry; 06-13-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

the front windscreen or rear glass should be fitted in a particular process, where butyl or urethane is spread on the contour at 16mm front bead or 18mm rear bead, and the windscreen is pressed on the frame with certain depth measurements.
The measurements are done through plastic matrices held on windscreen edge and car panels.
Normally, all the inner seal touches the glass both front and rear.
Now if you say you have 15 mm gaps here and there, by deduction, your outer seals cannot be flush on the front windscreen and the rear bottom.
The front windscreen touches on the pillars and has a gap in the middle is not normal.
It should touch all around.
Now there is a chance if your outer seals are flush , that the mounting went slightly wrong,
The inner seal should be inserted on the chassis frame BEFORE installing the windshield.
The inner seal holds back the butyl .
If they installed the windshield before, and just fitted the seal after, it won't mount where butyl spread to the inside.
In fact, you could pull on the inner seal and check out.
You could put it back not problem.
What brand is written on windscreen bottom ?

Last edited by geolab; 06-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Geolab,
The front was just purchased from Porsche, so genuine and the back is the original glass, genuine.

The rubbers around the outside Front window looks to be fitting right, but in saying that it is rubber and has quite an amount of flex in it.
Yes I did check this.
The rear glass rubbers are not as critical in positioning, but looks OK

Urethane was used, actually it can be seen on the inside of the front and rear glass, between the glass and metal aperture (that is between the internal rubber and glass due to the gap) and and it looks quite untidy. Looks like a typical caulking gun.

Yes, I understand your deductions, I have considered, but in saying that and as you mention, internally there should be no gap between the glass and rubber trim on the inside... hence asking others there experience in replacing or refitting front and rear glass, if this a usual occurrence

Thanks,

Last edited by Neil Perry; 06-13-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: fix up
Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

yes but what is the brand of the front windshield anyway.
could you pull the inner seal a bit and measure the distance between the metal and the glass, where there
is a gap ?
regards
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
The car is at the panel shop, so I need to go there and measure.

Actually, there are a set of templates required to fit the front and rear windows, I noticed in the service manual.
I might check on the forum if anyone has a set that could be copied and email to me.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

i have a set, but how could I copy them ? it is very very precise...
and the urethane has dried
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
I would get the company to remove the windows and refit them.

If you traced the templates on piece of A4 paper with a 25mm x 25mm cross on the page, scanned them and emailed the pages to me I could re generate the pages using the cross as a reference, print them and then transfer the template to some plastic sheeting and create my own.

Are you able to trace the templates onto some paper and email them to me?

Thanks,
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

I will try Saturday at the workshop.
I live in Paris in a small flat. The templates are with my tools at the workshop just outside the city
I go there Saturdays if you could wait.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi,
Thank you I appreciate your offer, do you have the templates for the front and rear?

How big is each template?

I am sure if you trace them with a fine pencil and then add the 25mm x 25 mm cross, I can replicate the templates.
It would take weeks for Porsche Australia to order in the parts.
Interesting I had the window replaced today, due to typical pitting and minor marks on the front window, only to end up with bigger issues.
The window actually looked better before the replacement.

Crazy question, why do you have them?

I am happy to wait, as you are doing me a rather big favor, THANKS

I will PM my email address.

Thanks,
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi,
Thank you I appreciate your offer, do you have the templates for the front and rear?
yes

How big is each template?
10 x 20 centimeters

Crazy question, why do you have them?
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...this-rust.html

I am happy to wait, as you are doing me a rather big favor, THANKS
you are a RL member, I am a RL member,
you would do the same for another RL member, no ?
regards
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Thanks you are right,
I have helped many a person, even done a few PPI for a few RL members, from interstate.
I guess what goes around, come around.

Thanks,
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Neil,

I just bought a set of the rear window plastic templates with the thought of doing my rear window this winter - summer for you, I guess.....

If needed I could trace them out for you, or have my machine shop make up a set and send them along express parcel. I only have the rear set though. We could make then out of a phenolic board of the correct thickness as the P part. They would be right. It is an easy job.

My car is a 1997 C2. The front window was replaced a few years ago by a shop that was experienced with the 993 and did a perfect job. I bought the guides I have now for them in preparation - they have never done a rear 993 window before.

My email directly is m.capocefalo@aainy.com.

Last edited by mike cap; 06-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Mike,
I sent a PM, but forgot to ask, what is the thickness of the templates?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Neil,

I will respond to your email. The templates are at my garage.... like Geolab, I live in a small house and the garage is on the outskirts of Paris, oops, I mean Auburn, NY. Not quite the same image is it?

I will get the templates tonight and bring them to the office. They are fairly thick, probably 10 mm. They are marked for top, bottom, side, etc. I will let you know which is which tomorrow.

Stay frosty, my friend. You'll get your machine back to being correct soon.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Mike
Thanks for your help.
I have my wife warming up the lazer cutter at work, interesting that the templates are 10 mm thick.
The lazer cutter can cut 3 mm plastic without making a mess, I think 3mm will do the trick. If not it will take a couple of passes at 10mm.
Interesting, your garages are away from your houses and apartments, our garages are joined to our houses.

Yes, it is quite cold at the moment in Sydney, actually it is freezing it is 13.1 degrees C outside at the moment at 10.51 pm at night, it will be 21 C tomorrow, Freezing.

It was an interesting discussion yesterday regarding my car it looked wrong on the inside but the panel shop and I had no reference to go on, but now when I get these templates, two windows will be coming out. I need to keep my car perfect as I enter it in concourses. Hence replacing the front windscreen because it has some typical mild marks in the glass, it did not need replacing

Thanks,
Neil

Last edited by Neil Perry; 06-14-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Window fitment