Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Window fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I did not know there are templates - learn something every day.

Any chance I could get a copy of any scans, etc? It would be great to have a set, and I need to get my windshield replaced anyways, I got a nice pit on it, and the previous owner had it replaced poorly (i.e. its not centered properly), and the templates would be good to confirm correct placement. I have a good body shop that will do the work, and they are experienced at it, but this way I can double check.

cheers,

Mike
Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

Any chance I could get a copy of any scans, etc? It would be great to have a set, and I need to get my windshield replaced anyways, I got a nice pit on it, and the previous owner had it replaced poorly (i.e. its not centered properly), and the templates would be good to confirm correct placement. I have a good body shop that will do the work, and they are experienced at it, but this way I can double check.

cheers,

Mike
Me too I plan on replacing my pitted windshield one day.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Neil,

Your wife operates a laser cutter? You are scaring me, man !!

My 'play house' garage is a ways from me, aircraft hangar still further. It'd be better if I lived on the lake with an airport and large hangar attached.

If anyone wants copies of the template diagrams, just email me. Mine are REAR w/s only though.

m.capocefalo@aainy.com
Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike,
I better set the story straight, my wife is a secondary school teacher and the school has a laser cutter for industrial arts. Hence I have access to the laser cutter.
One of the other teacher is using the laser cutter to build a fully functional R2D2, a exceptional copy at that.

Thanks,
Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Neil,

I scanned the tracing of the four guides and included a 25 mm reference on each page. Sent via email to you. Also provided a guide description and thickness.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there some kind of template for the front?

I need a new front windshield. This will be the third. I have not had any issues with spacing, leaking, squeaking. But when the current windshield was only a few weeks old it took a small rock near the top and within a few miles had cracked about 8 inches. I am thinking the windshield might have been installed with a bit of stress?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Yes,
There a 4 templates one for each centre of the windscreen outer edges, to the car body.
This sets the depth of the windscreen within the window aperture.
It also sets the gap or no gap between the window on the inside and the internal rubber trim.

Look in the Porsche factory service manual, there is about 15 pages on the front and the same for the back for the installation of the front and rear glass.
If you don't have the manual you can download if for free of the net.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Yes,
There a 4 templates one for each centre of the windscreen outer edges, to the car body.
This sets the depth of the windscreen within the window aperture.
It also sets the gap or no gap between the window on the inside and the internal rubber trim.

Look in the Porsche factory service manual, there is about 15 pages on the front and the same for the back for the installation of the front and rear glass.
If you don't have the manual you can download if for free of the net.
Doh! Thank you. I have the manuals both in hardcopy and pdf.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi All,
The latest,
Front windscreen there is a 10 to 15mm gap across the top and bottom between the glass and inside rubber trim. The Porsche templates on the outside top and bottom are out by 10mm and the windscreen installer checked out my car and said that is normal for a windscreen that has been refitted and is willing to refit the glass but it will make no difference, but if the windscreen is removed and it cracks that is my problem.
Also it was stated by the windscreen installer it is probably that the windscreens from Porsche have changed from original and the new windscreens don't fit as well as the older and there is a gap.

My rear glass has the same issues as the front with a gap between the internal rubber and the glass and the windscreen installer has the same attitude with this window as the front.

I have checked a number of cars with the Porsche front and rear window templates and all the windows that don't have gaps the templates fit and the windows that have been refitted with gaps, the templates don't fit.

So I am left with a problem, do I chance the removal of my front and rear windows to have them crack and replace them or maybe I will get lucky and have them removed and refitted without any issue and refitted with no gaps.

I have an interesting discussion to make?

Funny you get Porsche authorized people to work on your car......................................
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM
01coccobet
Racer

just changed mine,and had no issue about new Porsche spec...

better ask to the guru...
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
cheers,

Mike
No kidding! I had this same problem on my '95 coupe when the bodyshop installed the new windshield .. the entire lower gasket pushed into the 'gap' and started to run up the side .. and it was leaking water into the cabin passenger footwell at speed in the rain. Fortunately, the shop was able to remove it and re-position the glass in the frame and eliminate the problem but honestly, the new windshield and seal never looked right to me. WTF? How hard can it be?? I'm assuming original glass is Sekurit or Sigla .. right? I don't think they would change the size or shape for ANY reason .. however, there are several 'replacement O.E.M' windshields out there that I have heard are not correct and will cause problems, and of course, they are cheaper and the insurance company's push them .. Mine came from Sunset Porsche ... but it sounds like the O.P.'s was also supplied by Porsche ..
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
The windscreen was supplied by Porsche, it came in a Porsche box, the repairer is Porsche authorized.
Yes, there is all sorts of excuses, but I think the bottom line is the installer but too much sealer between the glass and window aperture and no spacer in the bottom for fitment.

Does any one know the part number of the windscreen with the green tint across the top in the USA
As I was told as another excuse, the windows fit better in the USA, as the glass is thinner
Thanks,
Neil
Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry

Does any one know the part number of the windscreen with the green tint across the top in the USA
As I was told as another excuse, the windows fit better in the USA, as the glass is thinner
Thanks,
Neil
993-541-111-06 list is $1120 and Sunset Porsche sells for $758
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Bob,
That part number is the same as my front new windscreen.
So Australian and USA windscreens are the same, that cuts out one other excuse.
So the USA glass is not thinner.

So it gets back to the installer putting on too much windscreen adhesive......

Might make a call to Porsche Australia to get their take on the issue..

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Window fitment