Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of this (or have tried it)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

I might have to try the clear stuff on the front bumper of my cayman for the next track day....
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That stuff is interesting.

I'm not sure it's going to really protect your car from track day debris, though.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
That stuff is interesting.

I'm not sure it's going to really protect your car from track day debris, though.
Judging from the videos is sure looks like it would. All I want to avoid is having to scrub rubber streaks off the paint. I put some plastic wrap stuff on the front of my Dad's GT3 and it is a lot less thick than the plastidip yet worked fine.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Very cool!

I can see using this on the inside of wheels as well - lots of protection, or if you want to see what a set of wheels would like like.

My turbo-twists are a bit beaten, and it would be neat to see them in black - hmmmmm.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it on my '10 GT3 for inside the wheel wells. Stuff is freaking amazing! Spray it on, when your done with it, peel it off, its that easy! It holds up to so much abuse such as pressure washers, rocks, sand, all that jazz. Amazing product. Highly recommend Plasti-Dip.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had some wheels painted a flat-ish semi gloss black and PlastiDip is the perfect color match to use on my silver, embossed, plastic center caps. I didn't want to paint them in case I wanted to use them on the silver wheels again.

My hint would be to shake the can well, and you may have to apply more than you thought to get a smooth coat. This is due to surface tension on the material it appears. It is not very viscous, so it can clump up a bit. Keep adding material, more than you would think (rather than waiting for it to dry) seems to work to fill in the blotchy sections.

The worry that it would fill in the detail on the caps was unfounded and as it dried, it adhered better and the detail came back.

Here's another showing some of the blotchy that I ran into. Best part is you can just peel it off and start again. The really good one show above is the upper right of the four.

Last edited by kjr914; 06-10-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added 2nd pic
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I've used it on many occasions. The trick is to apply even coats and not overspray because it will bubble up. The thicker the coats, the easier it is to remove. To remove, just pull and peel.

Here are my RH's with gunmetal metallic plasti-dip:

And my S4 for with flat gunmetal plasti-dipped door blades and fog light grilles to match my wheels, grille, and rear valance:

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of this (or have tried it)?