993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Winston711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost

Looking for roughly what it should cost me to replace my '96 993 front windshield. Also, any recommendations in the Pasadena, Ca. area?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Glass is roughly $950 to $1000, install, probably about $200.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

some insurances have a $100 deductible on windshield replacement....even if the rest of your deductible is higher.

had $1K deductible and after simply buying new windshields over the years when needed and paying for them...'found' that out when wife's suv needed one...ouch.

check w insurance agent.

otherwise...quad is right...$800-1000 for glass...another $100 or so for seals and install $1-200.

you want someone who had done a lot...otherwise...higher chance of squeak and/or leak
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank God (this time) for South Carolina - one free windshield a year with no deductible. I had the one on my 968 replaced a couple of years back, and they ordered a genuine Porsche replacement glass from Porsche, and the guy who installed it had won the annual International Master Fitters competition and he saved himself for jobs on the 'nicer' cars. It was like factory fitted, beautiful job.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I replaced it earlier this year for $700 in San Diego, at a place recommended by my Porsche Indy.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
I replaced it earlier this year for $700 in San Diego, at a place recommended by my Porsche Indy.
thats not OEM glass though
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
96_993TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM glass is expensive. I just did this in my car and wanted OEM glass. OEM is about double the cost of aftermarket glass. Paid around 1,500 installed. After the install I had clearplex put on to protect it. My original windshield was fine but the pitting was driving me crazy since I looked through it every time I drove the car. You definitely want to go with a shop that's done the older cars before. There is an art to doing these so they don't squeak.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Winston711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
TravisB
Pro

You guys who have had windshields replaced...does the new rubber trim on the outside fit normally? Mine folds in the gap and looks pretty bad. Glass installer says that's normal and the best I can expect and suggested filling the gap with silicone. That last bit makes me think I need to find a competent installer to attempt to re-do it.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the glass is in wrong but the faqctory manuel says to fill that area as well.....vinnie
Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
OEM glass is expensive. I just did this in my car and wanted OEM glass. OEM is about double the cost of aftermarket glass.
I was led to believe that aftermarket glass is no longer available. I checked a few months ago and couldn't find any.

Originally Posted by TravisB
You guys who have had windshields replaced...does the new rubber trim on the outside fit normally? Mine folds in the gap and looks pretty bad.
Is the glass properly centered in the frame with spec gaps?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by matt777
I was led to believe that aftermarket glass is no longer available. I checked a few months ago and couldn't find any.

FWIW, I was told the aftermarket glass that is/was available doesn't have the radio antenna in it..something to check in to.

Is the glass properly centered in the frame with spec gaps?

Probably not, I don't think this guy is as experienced with 993's as he led me to believe. The trim has folded in on both sides and a few spots along the lower edge. It also creaks like hell and I think a leak has developed, going by the water coming out of my right side dash vent after rain and washing (good stuff!). If I can get out of work a bit early today I am going to swing it by a different shop (Euroglass). The way they were talking, they A) know these cars inside out, and B) already know what the first guy did wrong. Unfortunately, not sure if it can be saved.

Moral of the story: pick your installer wisely! I took it to a body shop who lied to me and subbed out the work (and subsequently cost me about $4-500 more out of pocket than it should have). Was not a happy camper, icing on the installer is hard to pin down, although I don't think I'd want him doing it over again anyway.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

You guys who have had windshields replaced...does the new rubber trim on the outside fit normally? Mine folds in the gap and looks pretty bad. Glass installer says that's normal and the best I can expect and suggested filling the gap with silicone. That last bit makes me think I need to find a competent installer to attempt to re-do it.

That's def not right. My car has a similar issue right now, as the previous owner took it obviously to a shop that doesn't know how to install windshields on these cars. Silicone is not the solution.

My local glass installer confirmed my is totally not sitting correctly and he's done plenty of 993s. I'll be getting a new one probably next month as it took a rock hit a few weeks back, fortunately covered under my insurance.

Now what would be some differences between OEM and aftermarket glass? I recall reading somewhere the aftermarket windshield may be even stronger.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by Knight
Now what would be some differences between OEM and aftermarket glass? I recall reading somewhere the aftermarket windshield may be even stronger.

This is hear-say, but these are some potential differences I ran in to while researching last year. IMO, other than being more pit resistant, if anything else is true it's not worth it for a street car.

- Optical clarity might not be as good
- OEM glass may be softer due to different (TUV?) regulations
- May not have the internal antenna
- May not come with the trim retainer along the perimeter of the glass
Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

[/IMG]
This is very typical of a bad install. There is not much tolerance on the placement of the glass itself. Most bad installs I have seen usually have way too much Urethane, so much that its squeezing into the inside of the car (look between the rubber seal and the glass on the inside of the car, and bad placement so one part of the seal does not join up with the body correctly. Often as well, the installer breaks the plastic liner on the glass that is used to hold the rubber outside seal in place - you can tell this by pushing on various places on the seal, and you will feel "soft" spots.

This also happens on the rear windows, especially on the lower corners - the plastic retaining strip tends to break at the corners, and you get lifting of the rubber seal at the corners because nothing is holding it down. If you glue it down, you now have another potential spot for water to pool (and rust).

If you use a glass installer, ask how many times they have done 993's, and what technique he uses. There is installation specs in the shop manual which I doubt most installers have never seen.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost