Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've gone almost a calendar year without a Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I've gone almost a calendar year without a Porsche...

And I can't take it anymore. I sold my 993 back to Academictech last summer and have regretted it ever since. I bought the Boss Laguna Seca, thinking bigger and faster was what I wanted, and all I've been able to think about in the past 6 months are air-cooled 911s.

I just thought I'd share and say hello to my favorite car community on the Internet.

I think I'm going to go with a lightly hot rodded '84 - '89 Carrera this time. What do you all think?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you considering selling the Boss? What are your thoughts after owning it for a long period? I love those things, at least on paper.

I know how you feel on not driving the air-cooled 911. My car has been out of commission for a year while I have been saving up enough $$ to catch up on scheduled maintenance and handle some modifications (being self-employed has really cut the car budget and I can't bring myself to drive a car that has deferred maintenance). I am ecstatic to drive it!

Is the car going to be a DD? If you keep the Boss, I'd say get an SWB 911 or some sort of rodded long hood. If you sell the boss, I'd say get a 993. Or a 964. I'd prefer a 964 over a late 80s Carrera, but it's really hard to go wrong with any air-cooled 911.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

I followed your postings about buying the Boss Mustang and remember at the time it prompted me to think what new car I would replace the 993 with. I came to the conclusion that great as the 993 model is, what I actually enjoy are the physical aspects (feedback?) of these older cars - before they really learned how to isolate us from the NVH and when driving at less than 7/10ths was legal yet still fun. So I have been considering even older 911's - lighter, less power and skinnier tires. I am sure your Boss is amazing but I think a modded '84 is a very fine choice.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benton
Are you considering selling the Boss? What are your thoughts after owning it for a long period? I love those things, at least on paper.
The Boss is an amazing car. It isn't laden with a ton of electronics like most new cars and it's an honest, satisfying car. The motor is one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of driving, perfect, linear power deliver and a real screamer at the top end.

Like most new sports cars, it has huge limits that cannot even begin to be touched on the streets. It's tossable, but in a dangerous, end-up-in-jail sort of way.

I used to do a ton of track events but with a wedding coming up and the thought of kids looming, I simply do not have the time to devote to the hobby that I once did.

The interior isn't horrible for what it is but it undermines the overall experience with its expanse of hard plastics and ugly center stack.

Overall, I really like it and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm probably going to sell it but I am going to take the coming weeks to mull the decision over.

I know how you feel on not driving the air-cooled 911. My car has been out of commission for a year while I have been saving up enough $$ to catch up on scheduled maintenance and handle some modifications (being self-employed has really cut the car budget and I can't bring myself to drive a car that has deferred maintenance). I am ecstatic to drive it!

Is the car going to be a DD? If you keep the Boss, I'd say get an SWB 911 or some sort of rodded long hood. If you sell the boss, I'd say get a 993. Or a 964. I'd prefer a 964 over a late 80s Carrera, but it's really hard to go wrong with any air-cooled 911.
No, a weekend driver. I daily drive my Jeep (commute is all of 4 miles). I really want true manual steering and light weight simplicity. I considered an Elise but I really love the vault-like feel of a 911 and that air-cooled chugging at my back.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
And I can't take it anymore. I sold my 993 back to Academictech last summer and have regretted it ever since.
I've never regretted buying it back ...PM sent.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you owned a torsion bar era 911? If not, the myth may exceed the reality. The 964/993 IS that much better, when measured by today's standards.

That said, I'm having quite the time driving my latest acquisition around occasionally before the driveline/mechanicals get moved into the '73 chassis. And I would consider a torsion bar era car as an only 911 again, if and only if I couldn't afford a coil spring variant.

As far as the comment about stepping back into the short wheelbase cars, given the pricing now I think you have to really, really, really want one. All the minuses of what a 911 is, with none of the pluses. (I get that you can stuff a big engine in them, I get that they're light. Again, it's 2012. And for me being 50 and not 20 makes a huge difference in what I enjoy out of a 911.)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the early cars are going up in value, but I also don't see them dropping in value. However, my thought was more of a modded/rodded SWB, as a good driver, much like what's popular on the Pelican boards. An early 911 that's original, restored, or solid unrestored with matching numbers, is definitely up there in price when you consider the quickness-to-dollar ratio. Coming from the Boss, you'd probably think the car was dragging an anchor.

I really love the 964. You get the slick original 911 shape, but with the coil suspension, 3.6, and no impact bumpers.

Thanks for the words on the Boss. It's a shame the interior is quite plasticky, but there is a reason it's such a great value.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by race911
Have you owned a torsion bar era 911? If not, the myth may exceed the reality. The 964/993 IS that much better, when measured by today's standards.

That said, I'm having quite the time driving my latest acquisition around occasionally before the driveline/mechanicals get moved into the '73 chassis. And I would consider a torsion bar era car as an only 911 again, if and only if I couldn't afford a coil spring variant.

As far as the comment about stepping back into the short wheelbase cars, given the pricing now I think you have to really, really, really want one. All the minuses of what a 911 is, with none of the pluses. (I get that you can stuff a big engine in them, I get that they're light. Again, it's 2012. And for me being 50 and not 20 makes a huge difference in what I enjoy out of a 911.)
I have not owned one. I have driven one before however. The 993 is certainly a more polished machine, more luxurious, more comfortable.

My Wrangler has been a bit of an epiphany for me. I'm not a truck kind-of-guy but its crude manners make it pleasant for just cruising around for me, even if it isn't particularly fast.

I want something simple, pure, undistilled. I'm certainly am willing to consider your wealth of experience with them as I figure out exactly what I want to do.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Ian, for what it's worth your Bilstein HDs won another autocross in my yellow cab last Saturday. So part of the legacy lives on
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Had this same experience twice, just before I purchased my second and third Porsches.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I do really like those Boss LS's...they are maybe the best all around Mustangs ever built (the new Shelby GT 500 might challenge that title though).

Ive only had my car about 6wks...its been everything I thought it would be. I cant imagine selling it unless I was in true dire straits...I really hope you get back into a P-car!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Bonus
Glad to see you here again. It's been a while. I had a 911 SC ('82) and really liked it. My freind has an 86 Carrerra and a 79 911 SC and I get to drive them on occasion, just to remind me of how much better the 993 is.
Of course you have owned one and already know...but drive a couple of old 911s...they are lighter, simpler and still a blast to drive. The 993 is a perfect mix between old and new (IMO).
The older 911s are going up in value for sure. I thought about a Mustang a few times but after driving it doesnt compare to Porsche. Your dilema reminds me of the 3 months I owned a 996 turbo (X50 jail magnet with a cheap interior)...once the power novelty wore off, I wanted a genuine air cooled car.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nile13
Ian, for what it's worth your Bilstein HDs won another autocross in my yellow cab last Saturday. So part of the legacy lives on
Mike, that's great to hear! I hope the car is running well.

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I do really like those Boss LS's...they are maybe the best all around Mustangs ever built (the new Shelby GT 500 might challenge that title though).

Ive only had my car about 6wks...its been everything I thought it would be. I cant imagine selling it unless I was in true dire straits...I really hope you get back into a P-car!
I think any Porsche fan should be a fan of the new Boss even if he isn't a fan of the new Mustang. It drives like a sports car should drive. It's shortcomings are simply bad American car stereotypes regarding basic build quality but the powertrain and suspension are more impressive in some ways than certain modern European offerings without the detriment of overbearing electronics.

Originally Posted by ABCar
Mr Bonus
Glad to see you here again. It's been a while. I had a 911 SC ('82) and really liked it. My freind has an 86 Carrerra and a 79 911 SC and I get to drive them on occasion, just to remind me of how much better the 993 is.
Of course you have owned one and already know...but drive a couple of old 911s...they are lighter, simpler and still a blast to drive. The 993 is a perfect mix between old and new (IMO).
The older 911s are going up in value for sure. I thought about a Mustang a few times but after driving it doesnt compare to Porsche. Your dilema reminds me of the 3 months I owned a 996 turbo (X50 jail magnet with a cheap interior)...once the power novelty wore off, I wanted a genuine air cooled car.

Good luck with your decision!
Thank you for not making it easier! I bleed Porsche but have no interest in anything modern. I did own a 997 C2S previously and while it is an amazing machine, I found the 993 more inspiring.

I think the 911 versus 993 horse has been beaten to death on these forums and it isn't my intent to further the argument as both have their very obvious merits. I must mull this decision further.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

see thread below..or follow the link.

It's calling you Ian, it's calling you

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...dy-993-c2.html
Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I have not owned one. I have driven one before however. The 993 is certainly a more polished machine, more luxurious, more comfortable.

My Wrangler has been a bit of an epiphany for me. I'm not a truck kind-of-guy but its crude manners make it pleasant for just cruising around for me, even if it isn't particularly fast.

I want something simple, pure, undistilled. I'm certainly am willing to consider your wealth of experience with them as I figure out exactly what I want to do.
Just go drive a few of them. Hell, hop a plane to CA for a long weekend and have a go with Ruby before I take it all apart and move things over to the other chassis.

Quick Reply: I've gone almost a calendar year without a Porsche...