Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've gone almost a calendar year without a Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there....done that. Skip over the torsion bar 911 and go right back to a 993.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=46294
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Ian, for what it's worth your Bilstein HDs won another autocross in my yellow cab last Saturday. So part of the legacy lives on
Way to go Mike! Another Snapping Turtle!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep, with the secret turtle sticker proudly affixed to the car, no less
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Works every time.

Had a podium in the rain at the Glen on Sunday. Sticker in place.

(sorry... back to the topic at hand)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats, Mike! I have 1 sticker between two cars an even that works wonders
Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Been there....done that. Skip over the torsion bar 911 and go right back to a 993.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=46294
Originally Posted by race911
Just go drive a few of them. Hell, hop a plane to CA for a long weekend and have a go with Ruby before I take it all apart and move things over to the other chassis.
I have to ask you guys: Why?

I read the torsion-bar guys cry the 993s are too numb, too complex and the 993 guys cry the torsion-bar cars are too archaic, too slow.

Finding a clean, appropriately priced '87 - '89 has proved to be a difficult endeavor. I haven't lost all hope but I did want to come back and hear your thoughts and comparisons.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I have to ask you guys: Why?

I read the torsion-bar guys cry the 993s are too numb, too complex and the 993 guys cry the torsion-bar cars are too archaic, too slow.

Finding a clean, appropriately priced '87 - '89 has proved to be a difficult endeavor. I haven't lost all hope but I did want to come back and hear your thoughts and comparisons.
Why? So you can figure out the differences in your own mind, and figure out which suits you best? If either.........

No one "cries" about the differences; it's merely that they're different. What if I stopped at the Mustang "convention" that was around the corner last weekend to inquire about the generations of those cars? I'd say anyone who had a '12 Boss, and another who had a '77 4 cylinder Pinto-based Mustang II, could basically be said to not be sharing .00000001% of Ford DNA.

Bottom line is that a 3.2L car isn't "too slow." And a 993 isn't "too numb." Just depends what YOU want on the air cooled evolutionary scale.

I'm not sure why it's difficult to find a G50 3.2L car, unless you're expecting to find something showroom new for $19995.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by race911
Why? So you can figure out the differences in your own mind, and figure out which suits you best? If either.........

No one "cries" about the differences; it's merely that they're different. What if I stopped at the Mustang "convention" that was around the corner last weekend to inquire about the generations of those cars? I'd say anyone who had a '12 Boss, and another who had a '77 4 cylinder Pinto-based Mustang II, could basically be said to not be sharing .00000001% of Ford DNA.

Bottom line is that a 3.2L car isn't "too slow." And a 993 isn't "too numb." Just depends what YOU want on the air cooled evolutionary scale.

I'm not sure why it's difficult to find a G50 3.2L car, unless you're expecting to find something showroom new for $19995.
I'm simply asking why you prefer your 993, not starting an argument. I like both cars and I'm curious of your preferences simply for discussion purposes.

The problem is that most of the G50 3.2 Coupes are either beat up or for sale at dealerships at prices far in excess of $30,000 which is ridiculous in my opinion. While I'm willing to pay upwards of $30,000 for the right car, I think going above that budget just stops making sense for me. The influx of European buyers however has helped drive the dealer prices into the stratosphere.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm simply asking why you prefer your 993, not starting an argument. I like both cars and I'm curious of your preferences simply for discussion purposes.

The problem is that most of the G50 3.2 Coupes are either beat up or for sale at dealerships at prices far in excess of $30,000 which is ridiculous in my opinion. While I'm willing to pay upwards of $30,000 for the right car, I think going above that budget just stops making sense for me. The influx of European buyers however has helped drive the dealer prices into the stratosphere.
How am I starting an argument stating that it's entirely personal preference? If anything, I'm diffusing one. And I never said I preferred a 993.

My initial post on this thread invited you to come to CA and drive a modified 1984 model. I've had (either real, or as a "clone") every air cooled 911 variant produced, save maybe a 964 Turbo. And what I haven't owned, I've worked on/built/driven on track, with a 935 being pretty much the exception. (Though my friend's '66 912 with a real 935 MFI flat fan engine was pretty close.)

In simplest terms, the 911 I like best for being true to its roots is a 2.2L S, and for being a fully developed statement of what the platform could be is my 9934S. I guess a 993 Turbo actually, but I have no interest in spending that kind of money on a single car for driving around town. Now, if life threw me a curveball and I was resigned to living in a car, I'd still have some kind of rat rod SC/Carrera as it does 90% of what you need out of any sports car. Even compared to what's new out there. Just takes more skill to extract the performance.

So I could go on and on and on and on about torque, trailing throttle oversteer, gear splits, power steering, ABS, or even the audio systems over the generations. But the easiest thing is to go drive whatever variant you haven't driven and figure out what clicks for you.

Now we move to perceived value. If the cheap G50 cars are beat, then it seems they're not something you're looking at. You don't want a restoration project in which you'll be massively upside down. But those cars fall into my area of interest. If the "dealer" cars are approaching 993 territory, then there has to be reasonable demand. And I'm not sure how many are going to Europe with the Euro hovering around 1.25. And so what? My house in Oakland would be worth double (or more) if it were 6 miles away in Piedmont. Buy blue chip, you'll have blue chip on the back end.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you should go 930 Turbo since you are used to tons of power and then you get the raw old school feel and simplicity...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Ken. I always enjoy and appreciate your input. I will find the right car; I'm just willing to be patient, especially after receiving the final bill today for my wedding in 17 days.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Maybe you should go 930 Turbo since you are used to tons of power and then you get the raw old school feel and simplicity...
I thought about it but I don't see myself as a 911 Turbo person. I'm not power-hungry, at least not like I was in my younger years, and I'm more than content with 217 horsepower.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Ian

First off, congrats on the upcoming nuptails(sp). Rehgarding the Pcar, what about simply scanning the entire market place, and wait for something to jump out at you? As long as your not thinking something specific, then there's lots to consider.

Maybe a cool back dated rod, or a 964 with that kinda stance that makes you get a lump in your throat. Maybe hold out for a wacky color...Lets face it, you probably won't hold on to it forever. If you buy it right, enjoy it...you'll still probably get most or all of your money back on it.

Best of luck my friend.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had a fair amount of 911's, if you have a daily and are unsure whether you will sell the BOSS, here is what I would recommend:

1. Pre 74 car, personally feel the SWB cars are great if you are going to mod the heck out of them, otherwise for PURE driving fun, skip the SWB and stick with a pre 74 long hood.
2. If you want what many of us consider the best, the 35 year culmination in what porsche could do with the same basic car, 993 again
3. Raw power, nasty, feedback, looks, growls etc, Lotus Exige. I had an Exige in Southern CA for two weeks and man what a car.
4. Easy on the budget, if you like the impact bumper look or at least are ok with the impact bumpers, get a 74, find one that has great service records and pay a fraction of the long nose cost. They are great cars even though a lot of people dis them.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Well I pulled the trigger on a fellow Rennlister's car (RacerX1166) who kept an immaculate 70,000 mile 1989 Carrera in Baltic Blue with Linen Interior. I drove it back from Richmond over the past few days, stopping to see some friends along the way, and am smitten. The car is an absolute joy to drive.

Name:  TnSEy.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  245.8 KB
Name:  DJEMx.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  159.4 KB
Name:  fy5UH.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  134.1 KB

I'm glad to be back in a 911!

Quick Reply: I've gone almost a calendar year without a Porsche...