Sponsored by:

New amp and speakers for HiFi system - with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New amp and speakers for HiFi system - with pictures

My C4S came with the HiFi option built by Nokia. As with most of us we have had to deal with the deteriorating speaker cones at some point. I had started to hear a buzzing from my driver side that turned out to be the mid-range speaker that you can see has started to come apart.

I had changed out the Becker unit a couple of years ago and put in the Alpine iDA-X001. It was the best at the time for an iPod interface. I have been happy with it. I also replaced the rear speakers with OEM - it is a funky size and was not able to find something else to replace them with.

Thanks to the Rennlist - I connected with Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations to upgrade my "HiFi Speakers". Here is what I ended up buying.

Amp - Hertz HDP 4 - Four Channel Full Range Class D Amplifier
Speakers - Focal 165 KRX2 - 6-1/2" (165mm) 2-way kit, high precision separate crossover integrating tweeter level adjustment, adjustable midrange as well as treble booster.

I am very happy with the result - really clean sound and great frequency response from the new speakers. I am using the rears as fill and they are fine for that purpose.

I finished the project yesterday and put everything back together. Did a little carpet cleaning while I had the passenger seat out where the amp is installed. Time for a beer and enjoy the tunes
Attached Images      
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Sweet ... Your install looks very clean. Daddy like.

JohnnyC4S - would you be willing to donate the old Nokia door enclosures for science? I could email you a UPS ship label - simply throw the enclosures in a carton. I'm working on tuning the Nokia transmission line bass reflex enclosures to a modern 130mm mid bass driver. So I could use another set of enclosures to cut up...
You would be assisting the 993 HiFi enhancement cause.... thanks in advance, Mike.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice! When I was shopping for a new sound system, I really liked the Hertz stuff.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good! You put the amp under the driver seat like I did. Do you have any vibrations? I saw that you bolted the woofers without a bracket. Did you go straigth into the sheet metal?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Looks good! You put the amp under the driver seat like I did. Do you have any vibrations? I saw that you bolted the woofers without a bracket. Did you go straigth into the sheet metal?
Yep - put the amp where the original Nokia amp was. The Hertz amp is a little longer, and as a result sits a little higher - but plenty of room under the seat with the seat all the way down.

I did go directly into the sheet metal and have zero vibration. Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations was my adviser... he specializes in Porsche sound systems.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Sweet ... Your install looks very clean. Daddy like.

JohnnyC4S - would you be willing to donate the old Nokia door enclosures for science? I could email you a UPS ship label - simply throw the enclosures in a carton. I'm working on tuning the Nokia transmission line bass reflex enclosures to a modern 130mm mid bass driver. So I could use another set of enclosures to cut up...
You would be assisting the 993 HiFi enhancement cause.... thanks in advance, Mike.
Hey Mike - I just re-read your comment and saw your request for the old Nokia enclosures to assist in the "993 HiFi Enhancement cause"... at first I thought it was a good joke... but really, are you serious?

Each time I have done a mod, I have been keeping the original parts in the event I need them one day. I honestly don't see ever selling my 993 so why keep the parts???

Let me know if you are serious about the Nokia enclosures...

John
Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Very clean
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 AM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

So no good solution for just replacing the blown drivers in the hi fi system?

I get occasional buzz, but the should and base tight and punchy and would hate to loose that off need to replace the drivers.

David

Quick Reply: New amp and speakers for HiFi system - with pictures