Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Track suspension set up ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^ yes, but if the sway is mounted the same as the picture it is upside down !! Needs to flip and curve under the toe link. It would suck to snap those nice new parts in two.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM
vanguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since we are talking about suspension, can everyone share what spring rates their running and the weight of their car? any suggestions on a 70% track/30% street setup on a 2850lb car?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
vanguard
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^^^^^ yes, but if the sway is mounted the same as the picture it is upside down !! Needs to flip and curve under the toe link. It would suck to snap those nice new parts in two.
ok good to know. then its unlikely the sways should be above the toe links. that picture looked a little off.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Tons of options on spring rates. Depends on the shock setup, driving style, but I run full race, RSR tilt, 85mm ride height and 1300 lb springs with tenders, RSR bars, Motons. Car is very compliant and handles bumps, but has little forgiveness. Slow hands on the wheel unless sh*t happens.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM
vanguard
Instructor

Tons of options on spring rates. Depends on the shock setup, driving style, but I run full race, RSR tilt, 85mm ride height and 1300 lb springs with tenders, RSR bars, Motons. Car is very compliant and handles bumps, but has little forgiveness. Slow hands on the wheel unless sh*t happens.
you running 1300 front and rear? what are the rates on your tenders?

i have 950front and 1150rear with 150lb tenders. the car hates uneven surfaces and gets squirrely when i fly/land over the bumps. its great for long sweepers thats for sure. how much does your car weigh? i was thinking of dropping it to 650/950 to allow more play/relaxed...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

what is your toe set at and is the kinematic set using the autometrics gauge to near zero? If your really low you need the tilt kit to improve the roll center in the back suspension.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

what is your toe set at and is the kinematic set using the autometrics gauge to near zero? If your really low you need the tilt kit to improve the roll center in the back suspension.
I can see how flat solid side mounts help w/ roll center height, but can't visualize how a tilt kit would help, the tilt certainly adds anti squat, but the angles of the A arms induced by a tilt will have an odd effect on where the instant centers end up dynamically , I'd certainly like to see a sim in Mitchell
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pvdw
Seems odd to me that even with the RS drop links, you still need some home made bracket in order to connect it to the shock, is this due to the different mounting positions on the shocks compared to standard or RS shocks ? Any idea in combination with the kw's ?
There is a wide variance in the height of the drop link mounts and the ride heights and even the location of the sway bar ends. there is nothing home made about it, it's just the way things are.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vanguard
oh wow, i didnt even notice that. now i want to rush home to see if my sway is under the toe link. if it is above, does it bang against the toe link?

i'm on motons with trg curved drop links. my collar is on the bottom. i'm near RS height. do i need to change it around?
Here's a typical low ride height Moton installation, this particular car is about the same height as mine, note:collars top & bottom of the drop link mount, RS curved drops, sway under toe links
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

since we are talking about suspension, can everyone share what spring rates their running and the weight of their car? any suggestions on a 70% track/30% street setup on a 2850lb car?
I'm running a Moton Motorsport setup with 700/225-900/250 spring and tender rates. Not very comfy on the street but amazing on the track.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Bill,

Talk to Chris Cervelli who has set a bunch of track records in his RSR. According to Chris, the tilt kit was a factory correction of the rear suspension to get better geometry for the RSR when they lowered it to the deck. I research a lot less than you, but spend most of my time at the track implementing what I have been told or discovered. Good and bad experiences of course so what I know can be taken as a grain of salt.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 AM
pvdw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
There is a wide variance in the height of the drop link mounts and the ride heights and even the location of the sway bar ends. there is nothing home made about it, it's just the way things are.
Bill, the "home made" wasn't intended to degrade or question your install or work, I just observed that little brackets to attach the drop links are a very common sight on lowered cars here on RL. is it depending on the shock that is used or depending on height or ? Any place to get them from or measurements of these brackets?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 AM
vanguard
Instructor

I checked, the sway is under the toe link. I should buy an upper 2.25" collar to snug it in place just in case.

Paddy, how long are your springs? I think that might be an issue too. My rears are short and stiff.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
It really depends on how serious you are about doing track stuff vs street.

for a fun track car that is also ok on the street here's what I did
springs front ~500#/in, rear ~700
RS sport rubber bushes on all suspension arms except rear toe links which are monball and use locks rather than the unreliable factory eccentrics
solid flat rear sidemount bushes
RS wheel carriers and GT2 Evo monoball steering arms
8.5 &10 x18 wheels your choice of tires 225/40 & 265/35 to 245/35 & 285/30
shell seats
roll bar
6pt harness w/ Hans
lighten the car as much as possible
Bill, care to expand a little bit on this?

On your recommendation I have bought all the suspension stuff in your list above (including RS sway bars and drop links) but I have the RS rubber bushings for the standard toe links, which is also included in the bushing package. I think there are 4 identical bushings per side, 8 bushings in total for the rear per car. Are there significant downsides to using the OEM toe links with the RS rubber? My mechanic had a hard time getting all these bushings replaced .

Second question is if you can recommend a set of camber plates and top mounts for the above setup, if you have the springs you mentioned and Moton/Öhlins or similar suspension. Or is this usually delivered with the suspension?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked, the sway is under the toe link. I should buy an upper 2.25" collar to snug it in place just in case.

Paddy, how long are your springs? I think that might be an issue too. My rears are short and stiff.

Vanguard, they're 6" long, 2.25" inside diameter.

Viggo, I'm using Mode camber plates from ERP, I'm pretty sure Bill is too.

Quick Reply: Track suspension set up ?