Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track suspension set up ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012 | 12:07 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are those big red bars in the pic above the toe link? That just holds the alignment better under heavy load? Is that the idea?
Old 06-08-2012 | 12:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paddy
Bill, how are your Tarret toe link boots holding up? Both of mine failed within one year. Maybe, I installed them incorrectly?
I did not think that Tarret made boots? I sourced mine outside of Tarret from
http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp..

20,000+ miles and not tears or damage that I can see. (when I see it since the car is not owned by me anymore).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-08-2012 | 02:02 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Mike, I misspoke. I too ordered them from sealsit but they're shot. My guess is I installed them incorrectly and they got pinched.

JPS, yes, those are upgraded toe links. It really firms up the rear end and makes it easier to adjust when the car is at RS ride height.
Old 06-08-2012 | 03:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well at least they are easy to replace - once you get them on - that part requires a bit of stretching... :-)
Old 06-08-2012 | 03:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Are those big red bars in the pic above the toe link? That just holds the alignment better under heavy load? Is that the idea?
Yes, the stock eccentrics aren't up to the task of locating rear end for track use, so you use a mono-ball toe link and lock out the eccentric, adjustment is then made w/ the turnbuckle arrangement.

I bought the Tarrets toe links w/ boots, they are fine so far
Old 06-08-2012 | 03:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You may have to check a bit more for wear - the surfaces are Teflon/metal wearing surfaces, and I am not sure of the longevity as compared to conventional greased ball joints. Assuming they do not get dirty (with the boots) do they last as long as the original parts?
Old 06-09-2012 | 11:58 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

I went with the Rennline toe links, seemed to be of good quality. I added the sealsit boots also. Photo shows one toe link without boots, one with boots and after installation. I have only 2 track days and some road miles but car seems a bit more planted and predictable in the rear now.
Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2012 | 10:05 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

First let me clarify that RS sway bars will fit a 4S. I have this exact setup and it is highly recommended to fight the under steer that you will see in this car.

Looking at your objectives, I would rather spend money into instruction than the car. The coil over will be nice and the only thing you may need at this time for the suspension "while you are in" are adjustable sway bars and maybe some new bushings if the old ones are tired. With this setup, learn to drive what you have. Do not be shy to pay for pro instruction. It is very rewarding with a car setup like this to chase higher horse power cars because you are a better driver.

If you decide to stay in the DE game here would be my next investments that are all around safety:

1. Aggressive brake pads and better fluid
2. Bucket seat, roll bar and 6 point harness; do not drive a 6 point without HANS. They became so affordable ...

The final evolution would be better tires (R compound); learn to drive street tires at the limit constantly and you will get more from stepping up to stickier tires.

If you are still into this expensive hobby when you have done all the above, you will consider another car and as it has been said before, it will most likely not be a 993 due to the high expense of upgrades. You can by a well sorted Spec Boxster for 25 to 30kUSD and they are fun to drive in the right hands.
Old 06-10-2012 | 06:36 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Thanks for your advice
Thinking rs sway bars, rs wheel centers, changing the drop links, toe and control arms and replacing the bushes.

As for driving skills, posted a vid recently on rl on spa francorchamps, not shy to learn. Check it out and let me know. Switched recently to Michelin semi slicks as I felt being at the limit of the normal street tyres.
Old 06-11-2012 | 01:29 AM
vanguard
Instructor

should the collar be on the top or bottom of the drop links? or best on bottom ends?
Old 06-11-2012 | 07:54 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

A lowered car should have the sway bar under the toe link then connected to the drop link. The shock collar should be perpendicular to the chassis to avoid it walking/loosening from track use.
Old 06-11-2012 | 10:02 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
A lowered car should have the sway bar under the toe link then connected to the drop link. The shock collar should be perpendicular to the chassis to avoid it walking/loosening from track use.
Agreed,

RS drop links should be used otherwise something like this could happen:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=24812

Should like like this with the RS link: Pic from one of Bill's previous posts
Name:  3_17_07_0051205797764.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  68.1 KB
Old 06-11-2012 | 10:04 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
As Bob says, over/under it depends on height and the shock
My car is very low so it runs under w/ curved drop links, the mount needed to be in the lowest position w/ long tangs, other shocks will different

Most Bilsteins I've seen run over w/ shorter drop links and or a higher mounting position.

JMO, but collars shoud be on both sides of the drop link mount, ie top and bottom
Old 06-11-2012 | 05:26 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Seems odd to me that even with the RS drop links, you still need some home made bracket in order to connect it to the shock, is this due to the different mounting positions on the shocks compared to standard or RS shocks ? Any idea in combination with the kw's ?
Old 06-11-2012 | 06:07 PM
vanguard
Instructor

oh wow, i didnt even notice that. now i want to rush home to see if my sway is under the toe link. if it is above, does it bang against the toe link?

i'm on motons with trg curved drop links. my collar is on the bottom. i'm near RS height. do i need to change it around?

Quick Reply: Track suspension set up ?