Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone used this insurance company?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Anyone used this insurance company?

Agreed value policy.

On Porsche Club of America Website.

Premium is 60% the cost of Haggerty.

http://www.lelandwest.com/faq/
Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In sured with.... yes. Used, as in made a claim.... no. Hard to truly evaluate any given insurance company until a claim is filed. So far been very happy. Agreed value, minimal usage restrictions, generous annual mileage allowance and good customer service. They require you to have a DD policy with another company and want to see pics of the location where the car is stored.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

I used them in the past and had to file a claim when my car was caught in a hail storm. I recall them doing exactly what an insurance company should do. They paid what it took to make the car right again. No complaints here.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Chartis - no restrictions at all.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
Agreed value policy.

On Porsche Club of America Website.

Premium is 60% the cost of Haggerty.

http://www.lelandwest.com/faq/
Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Chartis - no restrictions at all.
I'm in the market for new insurance, too. Do either of these companies insure track cars that are street legal? Lockton Affinity and Parish Heacock/Classic Heacock do not.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
In sured with.... yes. Used, as in made a claim.... no. Hard to truly evaluate any given insurance company until a claim is filed. So far been very happy. Agreed value, minimal usage restrictions, generous annual mileage allowance and good customer service. They require you to have a DD policy with another company and want to see pics of the location where the car is stored.
Same here. I have my car with them. The cost was about 1/2 of what I had to pay when I had the car as a 3rd vehicle with my regular insurance. It is agreed value, with mileage restrictions. No DD. Not commuting to work with it on a regular basis, and it needs to be garaged.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Matsuzaka
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Leland uses American Modern Home Insurance Company for collector insurance. I am with and have been with American Modern for six years. From what I found from researching on the Internet, American Modern is ranked In the upper half, as far as number of complaints filed and upheld by the Department of Insurance in the state of NY.

I just got a quote from Leland for my cars and it was more expensive than what I'm paying by going direct with American Modern. My policy renews in December, perhaps it will be going up next time.

Last edited by Matsuzaka; 05-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Matsuzaka
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Leland uses American Modern Home Insurance Company for collector insurance. I am with and have been with American Modern for six years. From what I found from researching on the Internet, American Modern is ranked In the upper half, as far as number of complaints filed and upheld by the Department of Insurance in the state of NY.

I just got a quote from Leland for my cars and it was more expensive than what I'm paying by going direct with American Modern. My policy renews in December, perhaps it will be going up next time.

Last edited by Matsuzaka; 05-31-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with hagerty but they went ballistic when one of my car was damaged by hail.

i got the third degree - why was i driving in hail, where was i. was hail forecast, what was i doing, etc. etc.

you are only supposed to go out in fine weather to 'enjoy' your car - errands, etc. are verboten.

their web site mentions a trip to the ice cream parlour but when i asked was that not considered an errand - they were not sure.

any questions they had were because their insurers wanted to know - not hagerty, yeah right!

i told them that was a cowardly way of asking for information.

they eventually paid up but were clearly not happy.

regrettably i have not found any one much cheaper.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK leland is just a broker that helps you find an underwriter in your locality...so YEWV
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been with Leland-West for over 10 years. Very happy with them. There are some restrictions but they now offer unlimited mileage and the option to use the car for limited communting to work. I pay $534 for a 95C4 and 96C2.

I have made one claim in my time with them (actually American Modern Home - Leland-West is a broker) for a windshield and they were great to deal with.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Leland was started by Holly Bromberg, a lifer PCA/Porsche guy that built the company on the business model that Porsche owners use extreme care when driving, parking, storing their cars and insurance company that insures Porsche only should be able to offer lower premium rates because the risk of accident is far less than other types of cars/owners. It's turned out to be a very accurate model and quite a lucrative business but unfortunately, Holly died of a brain aneurism in his mid forties. From what I hear, the company has maintained all of the great service that they provided under his leadership.

Quick Reply: Anyone used this insurance company?