Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by rrental
What would you do if PPI comes out good(reasonably, under $2K repairs) ?
I've rarely, if ever, seen any 993 that couldn't swallow at least $2K. And this is a Turbo. The old saying applies here I think: If it sounds too good to be true....

$40K for a 993 Turbo is VERY low. There has to be a reason. Not saying you couldn't make it work but I'd do some serious number crunching before proceeding.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
OP, try to decide what it is that you want. It doesn't sound like you want this TT in a first place so you don;t see the value. If that's the case, don;t buy it, you will not enjoy any of it.

I've verbalized what value I see in it (to the tune of $10K+). Others looking for a driver TT will see even more (Mike J comes to mind immediately). But, again, why are you looking at this car if that's not what you'd want?
What's not to like about a TT? I was not looking for a TT because I can't justify spending $60 + , but then came across this one.

I got a 911 SC on the rotisserie right now and it will not be done for the next year or so, and I would like to drive a Porsche! How great would it be to drive the TT for a year or two, and then either make a project out of it or just sell it?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

contact Mike J on this board. If I remember correctly this may be the car we discussed last year when he was looking to get a Turbo and it turned out that the car was actually in a huge front end collission, it was something like a 50K repair job and the current owner did not know and was told it was a minor one fixed right... It might not be the car in question, as I'm not sure, Mike may shed some light.
In my book when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is... Good luck and let us know...
Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I've rarely, if ever, seen any 993 that couldn't swallow at least $2K. And this is a Turbo. The old saying applies here I think: If it sounds too good to be true....

$40K for a 993 Turbo is VERY low. There has to be a reason. Not saying you couldn't make it work but I'd do some serious number crunching before proceeding.
I am with you on that one. It surprised me when I found it. What I tried to say is 2k for immediate repairs to make it driving. I am totally aware making this car up to "rennlist standards" will cost some serious $$. The value for a good (local) 993 TT is some where between 60K and as much as you want to pay.

If it was a sorted well cared 993 TT for 40K I would not be asking your guys opinion, but I would be in a plane on the way up there!

Why only $40K ? Because it needs work. How much, and even more important, when repairs have to be made has to be determent. The person selling is for sure not the Porsche guy you will find here or at Pelican. More about that later.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 PM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
contact Mike J on this board. If I remember correctly this may be the car we discussed last year when he was looking to get a Turbo and it turned out that the car was actually in a huge front end collission, it was something like a 50K repair job and the current owner did not know and was told it was a minor one fixed right... It might not be the car in question, as I'm not sure, Mike may shed some light.
In my book when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is... Good luck and let us know...
Will do thanks for the tip. I recall reading about it. Tried to google the VIN to get more info but absolutely nothing comes up....
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Danny - wasn't that the silver turbo from the ridge meadows area?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think Mike J was looking at this car. Hans I think your right it was a Polar Silver TT that was repaired by Burrard Autostrasse, it recently sold from Mile's End Motor (one of the sales guy owned it).

To the OP this may be helpful, a bit extreme for PPI but you can pick important points from it to hopefully gauge some future costs. Sounds like without the compression/leakdown, it may be hard to determine costs associated behind possible engine bills.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66189

Even if you get a decent cared for TT, the $ can add up fast to bring it up to standards. I'm going to say spending $10K isn't a problem esp if it involves a visit to the body shop. However this can be spend at your own pace.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:42 PM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Did some browsing and only came up with an rather entertaining threat about a silver on red one from Quebec.

I am renting a car today and take the 7 hour trip to check it out myself. If I like it, I will buy it. If not, I will take the rental car home again....

Nothing is more honest than my own eyes....
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 562 Posts

Looking forward to finding out if you end up buying it or not. Obviously, it isn't a pristine Rennlist owned car, but those cost more and go real fast. Could be a great deal or a total basket case. Either way, I'm interested in hearing more.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Enjoy the hunt! Are you able to get the UVIP Used Vehicle info packages we have access to in Ontario. You can find out all the previous owners and try to get in touch. I did it with my new tme 95 C2 and I got some fantastic info from the previous owners and all the work done to it.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Danny - wasn't that the silver turbo from the ridge meadows area?
Kind of what I was thinking. If I'm not mistaken, that particular car, not the subject here, hasn't changed ownership.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If it's under $40K ... I really don't see how you could go wrong here. Hardbacks are worth at LEAST $3500 .. so now we're around $36K .. I guess you have to re-ask yourself what was the original goal .. if it was to find a nice 'driver' 993 that you could just enjoy and not worry about dumping a lot of time and money into to get to a reliable state, then this may not be the car for you, but if you have any wrenching ability at all and a bit of garage space and the time to do some DIY you could fix this up and drive it for a couple of years and sell at a nice profit .. something I might ad that's about as rare as a TT for under 40K!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did some browsing and only came up with an rather entertaining threat about a silver on red one from Quebec.

I am renting a car today and take the 7 hour trip to check it out myself. If I like it, I will buy it. If not, I will take the rental car home again....

Nothing is more honest than my own eyes....
Het allerbeste!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

What's not to like about a TT? I was not looking for a TT because I can't justify spending $60 + , but then came across this one.

I got a 911 SC on the rotisserie right now and it will not be done for the next year or so, and I would like to drive a Porsche! How great would it be to drive the TT for a year or two, and then either make a project out of it or just sell it?
What's not to like about TT? Well, if you'd really like to have this conversation, we could. Let's start with this. Have you driven a 993 TT before? If so, please give your impressions.

What I'm saying is that a 993 TT is pretty far in concept and execution from your SC. I know which car I'd like better (hint, it's not the TT). You'd have to decide for yourself. If you _want_ a TT to enjoy driving it as opposed to looking at it and cleaning fingerprints off of it any time your kid touches it in a garage - this one is probably a good buy. If you want to make a quick buck (or ten thousand bucks) - this one is probably a good buy. If you are not sure why you'd want this thing (like me, I've passed on several TTs because this is not the car I'm interested in), why buy yourself a potential headache?

Sorry to be blunt, just trying to distill what I'm hearing here.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Good luck!

Quick Reply: What would you do?